Monday 25 December 2023

Nik Nak's Daily Teaser — 25-12-2023 — Christmas Day

25th December, 2023: Christmas Day.



It's official: it's Christmas Day.

A time of great joy,wonderment, peace, love, wossname and unlimited bowls of rice pudding.

I feel vaguely cynical, already.

But?

Can only hope the things the day is supposed to symbolise -- peace, love, understanding -- takes some sort of hold in the world.

It could be nice.

~≈🎄≈~


Things go on, though.

Including video reviews.

My most recent, of the seventh episode of For All Mankind, is something you can watch, here.



There's also something of an apology -- and confession -- for those who've donated money to me, over the past few days.


So you know?

My normally very reliable iMac failed on me, last week.

So?

I managed to take it to a local repair shop: after several friends  and family members made some very generous donations.

Friday, just gone?   The 22nd of this year?

Was when I was told it would be ready to pick up.

It wasn't.

Nor was it ready, Saturday: there were expensive sounding issues.

So?   I told the shop I'd look in on Sunday -- yesterday, Christmas Eve -- as they were open: to do the inevitable talk.

They hadn't fixed it.

Seemingly?

They'd replaced the power supply that was causing issues, but found they were having issues with the screen ... and with the motherboard, and the central processor: and were finding something short-circuiting, somewhere.

They couldn't -- in the time allowed, and for the agreed price -- fix the thing.

I felt that, under the circumstances, taking the thing off them, and back home, would be the best bet.

The possible upside?

Was that people had donated enough for me to buy a replacement Mac: an M2 Mac mini which is scheduled to arrive on Friday.

I'm looking forward to that.

As helpful as the back-up laptop is, it would be nice to use the keyboard shortcuts I'm used to.

There is one thing, though.

I feel I should apologise to you, if you were one of the donors I'm grateful to.

After all, you donated your hard earned cash to me: in the expectation I'd spend the money on a repair, rather than a replacement.

I can only apologise.

At any rate?

Happy Christmas!

~≈🎄≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*,Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

The day also saw Trevor§ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.



Q1‭)‬        Christmas Day,‭ ‬2023‭ ‬is on Monday.‭   When was it last a Monday‭?

Q2‭)        It’s preceded by what:‭ ‬Advent,‭ ‬Aventine or Adventure‭?‬

Q3‭)‬        “Christmas Day‭” ‬was a‭ ‬1979‭ ‬song by whom:‭ ‬Squeeze,‭ ‬the Clash or the Sex Pistols‭?‬

Q4‭)‬        Factor‭ ‬9‭ ‬is also known as the Christmas Factor.‭   It helps what clot‭?‬

Q5‭)‬        Finally‭ ‬… ?   Christmas Beetles come from where:‭ ‬Australia,‭ ‬Brazil or Cuba‭?‬

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …



Q1‭)‬        24th December is Christmas Eve.‭   How many days are left until the end of the year:‭ ‬six,‭ ‬seven or eight‭?
A1‭)        Seven.

Q2‭)        Many Cubans will mark Christmas Eve by eating a roast what:‭ ‬chicken,‭ ‬turkey,‭ ‬pig or beef‭?‬
A2‭)        Pig‭.‭

Q3‭)‬        True or false:‭ ‬the UK’s Royal Family open their presents on Christmas Eve.‭
A3‭)‬        True‭.‭

Q4‭)‬        The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place on Christmas Eve.‭ ‬  Where:‭ ‬Finland,‭ ‬Sweden or Denmark‭?‬
A4‭)‬        Finland‭.‭

Q5‭)‬        Finally‭ ‬… ?   Christmas Eve,‭ ‬2023,‭ ‬is a Sunday.‭   When was it last a Sunday‭: ‬2015,‭ ‬2016‭ ‬or‭ ‬2017‭?‬
A5‭)‬        2017‭.‭

Here’s a thought …

‭“‬Christmas is not a time nor a season,‭ ‬but a state of mind.‭ ‬To cherish peace and goodwill,‭ ‬to be plenteous in mercy,‭ ‬is to have the real spirit of Christmas.‭” Calvin Coolidge.

You can find some music, here.

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        That's about the one thing I can say went in my favour, Olga⁋: the trains were running!   Unfortunately?   And as you know, by now?   The iMac died on me!
        But, thanks to you and all the other donors?   The new Mac mini's due on Friday.   Thanking you: and Feliz Navidad!

        Happy Christmas, Mum!

        Happy Hogswatch, Debbi: and a very happy Christmas!   Cheers for the help, by the way!   The new mini's due, Friday.   The processor's supposed to be a bit wizzy!   (Oh, I did ask about business discounts on a new machine: unfortunately, I need to show a turnover of £5000 pa.   It's disappointing: but at least I can pass the info on.)

§        Happy Hogswatch, Trevor: don't overdo the duck!   And remind me to show you my reviews of The Abominable Snowmen.   (Cheers for the help, again, Trevor.)

        Just so you know, Olga?   Both the iMac and Mac mini are desktops: the laptop I'm using is a PC using Ubuntu MATE.   It's clunky!

3 comments:

trev-v said...

A1 2017
A2 Advent
A3 Squeeze
A4 Blood
A5 Australia

Duck in oven roasting. Gravey on slow boil. Veggies prepared and in the steamer for later cooking.

Almost broke my thumb taking some sprouts off of the stick of sprouts,

Olga said...

Q1) 2017
Q2) Advent
Q3) Squeeze
Q4) the blood
Q5) Australia
Yes, I guessed it was a Mac. I'm used to PCs, as you know, mind you, I've never tried Ubuntu (other than as a typography type). Wouldn't they offer you a discount if you were a student? I know you've been doing some courses and, in my case, at least some of the design programmes I have to use for the certificate I'm doing at the moment (well, I finished course 5 and I've decided to wait until after the holidays to start the two that are left, to have a bit of a break) allow me to use the professional version rather than the free version, as a student, and having joined the Coursera Course was enough.
Let's hope the new one works all right. I know I had looked at mini-PCs in my case before I bought the laptop I have now, but space is a bit of an issue for me, so having to have all the separate parts, and also making it more complicated to take with me and move around made me stick to a laptop.

Debbi said...

Merry Christmas, Paul!

Good luck with the Mini-Mac. They're great.

1. 2017
2. Advent
3. Squeeze
4. blood
5. Australia