Tuesday 19 December 2023

Nik Nak's Daily Teaser — 19th December 2023

19th December, 2023.











Right ... it's officially Tuesday.

That means I've got my nephew over, later.

Hopefully?

We'll be able to get something done.

Which won't be easy: given my iMac's in for repair!

We'll have to see.

~≈⸸≈~

In other news?

In a piece for the BBC, former TV presenter, Esther Rantzen, has announced she has stage 4 lung cancer.

And has announced she's become a member of Dignitas: the Swiss clinic that operates an Assisted Dying facility in Zurich.

I've always felt conflicted about the idea.

I can't see myself -- as I am, today -- wanting or needing it.

But?   But always felt Terry Pratchett's arguments in favour, persuaded me that legalising it would be a good thing.


It's there: if you need it.

So?   Esther announcing this?

I think that can only be a good thing.

~≈⸸≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.



Q1‭)‬        Nicolas Checa was born on‭ ‬19th December,‭ ‬2001.‭   He plays what:‭ ‬chess,‭ ‬draughts or Go‭?

Q2‭)        Actress,‭ ‬Alyssa Milano,‭ ‬was born on‭ ‬19th December,‭ ‬1972.‭   She played Phoebe Halliwell in a series called‭ Charmed‭.‭ ‬The series was about a family of what:‭ ‬witches,‭ ‬zombies or magicians‭?‬

Q3‭)‬        Henry‭ ‬2nd was crowned as King of England:‭ ‬on‭ ‬17th December,‭ ‬1154.‭ ‬  In which church:‭ ‬Westminster Abbey,‭ ‬Saint Paul’s Cathedral or Southwark Cathedral‭?‬

Q4‭)‬        The leader of Uganda gave British workers an ultimatum on‭ ‬19th December,‭ ‬1972‭ ‬to accept reduced pay,‭ ‬or be expelled from the country.‭   Who was that leader‭?‬

Q5‭)‬        Finally‭ ‬… ?   Great Britain’s youngest Prime Minister was named as such:‭ ‬on‭ ‬19th December,‭ ‬1783.‭   Who was he:‭ ‬Rishi Sunak,‭ ‬David Cameron,‭ ‬the‭ ‬3rd Duke of Grafton,‭ ‬or William Pitt the Younger‭?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …



Q1‭)‬ According to the United Nations,‭ ‬18th December is International Migrants Day.‭ ‬The date was chosen,‭ ‬after a resolution was made on‭ ‬18th December:‭ ‬of which year of the‭ ‬1990s‭?
A1‭) ‬‬1990‭.

Q2‭) ‬The Resolution was taken,‭ ‬to protect the rights of what kind of migrants:‭ ‬refugees,‭ ‬migrant workers or expatriates‭?‬
A2‭) Migrant‭ ‬workers‭.‭

Q3‭)‬ If you’re migrating from somewhere,‭ ‬you’re what E‭?‬
A3‭)‬ An‭ ‬‬emigrant‭.‭

Q4‭)‬ If you‭’‬re migrating to somewhere,‭ ‬you‭’‬re what I‭?
A4‭)‬ An‭ ‬‬immigrant‭.

Q5‭)‬ Finally‭ ‬… ? If you migrate to another part of the same country,‭ ‬you’re a what:‭ ‬an internal immigrant,‭ ‬or an external immigrant‭?‬
A5‭)‬ An‭ ‬‬internal immigrant‭.

Here’s a thought …

‭“‬I was over there,‭ ‬entertaining the troops.‭ ‬I won't say which troops.‭”
Phil Ochs,‭ ‬19‭ ‬December‭ ‬1940‭ – ‬9‭ ‬April‭ ‬1976.

And an album

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        I'm keeping my fingers crossed, Olga, I am!   The figures look good, so far: people have been generous.
        But?   I'll find out about the cost, for sure, on Friday, when I'm due to pick up the iMac.   I just hope it isn't going to be the higher of the price they quoted.   (The repair place is one I've used, before: but one that's seemingly under new ownership.   I'm nervous!)

        Hello, Mum!   See you later!

        I'll be honest, Debbi: I'm using Clipchamp on the back-up laptop.   It's OK ... but not what I'm used too.   And the free version, seemingly, can't do green screen.
        The laptop, itself?   Is decidedly clunky: it shipped with Windows 7, after all!   I could deal with that, if its versions of AbiWord, LibreOffice and Firefox, worked as well together as TextEdit, Pages and Safari!   I know I should be grateful ... but ...

2 comments:

Olga said...

I forgot to mention I have to accompany my mother to hospital for a test today, so running late and no time for the teaser today, but it should be quieter the rest of the week (fingers crossed). Have a great time with Jude.

Mum said...

1 Chess player
2 Witches
3 Westminster Abbey
4 Idi Amin
5 William Pitt the Younger