Saturday 16 December 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 16-12-2023 — Going to the Boston Tea Party.

16th December, 2023.







Right ...

I've managed to take my iMac into the repair shop.

And?

Jaw-droppingly?

It seems it's not the power supply unit that's the issue.

It's -- potentially -- a problem with the motherboard.

At the least, a short-circuited component.

At the most?   Replacing the whole thing.

I'm told that'll be some £300.

Some £120 more that I actually have.

If any one else can help?

I'd love to hear from you.

~≈⸸≈~

To be frank, though?

I can't complain much: especially about the amount of help I've had, so far.

A big thanks got to Olga, Carly and Sue: who've all put into to the fund.

It's been gratefully received: and much appreciated.

My only problem?

I can't access anything on my external drives.

Which is frustrating: there's a couple of links -- and their associated passwords -- on there that I can't access.

But at least I can contact the relevant bodies about that.

My only issue?

And it's minor, considering the money involved.

My only real issue is using my back-up, Ubuntu MATE based machine.

And that's mostly due to unfamilierity: the shortcuts and apps are very different.

Let's just say I'm doing a lot of swearing, there!

~≈⸸≈~

Let‭’‬s move on,‭ ‬shall we‭?
 
Yesterday’s‭ Teaser saw‭ Mum‭*,‭ Olga‭† ‬and‭ Debbi‭‡ ‬putting in their answers:‭ ‬with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five,‭ ‬and Mum on four.

Let‭’‬s see how everyone does with today’s‭ ‬questions,‭ ‬shall we‭?

Here they are,‭ ‬along with the‭ How To‭,‭ License‭ and video‭.‭


Q1‭)‬        16th December‭ ‬2023,‭ ‬is the‭ ‬250th Anniversary of the Boston Tea Party.‭   In other words,‭ ‬it place on‭ ‬16th December of which year of the‭ ‬1770s‭?

‬Q2‭)         ‬The Party took place in Boston.‭   This particular Boston is where:‭ ‬Massachusetts,‭ ‬Texas or Lancashire‭?‬

Q3‭)‬        The Party goers were disguised as Mohawks.‭   The Mohawks,‭ ‬themselves,‭ ‬were part of what:‭ ‬the Iroquois Confederacy,‭ ‬the Cherokee Nation or the Lakota peoples‭?‬

 Q4‭)‬        The main ship the protesters attacked,‭ ‬was the what:‭ ‬the‭ Dartmouth‭,‭ ‬the‭ ‬‬Falmouth‭ or the‭ ‬‬Plymouth‭?

Q5‭)‬        Finally‭ ‬… ?   The Boston Tea Party‭ ‬is a‭ ‬1915‭ ‬film about the event.‭   It’s a remake of a film made,‭ ‬when:‭ ‬1907,‭ ‬1908‭ ‬or‭ ‬1909‭?‬

Here‭’‬s‭ yesterday‭’‬s‭ ‬questions and answers‭ ‬…



Q1‭)‬        In a non-leap year,‭ ‬15th December is the‭ ‬349th day of the year.‭ ‬How many day are left until the end of the year:‭ ‬sixteen,‭ ‬seventeen or eighteen‭?
A1‭)         ‬‬Sixteen‭.

Q2‭)        15th December,‭ ‬1982,‭ ‬saw Spain open its borders with where:‭ ‬Gibraltar,‭ ‬France or Portugal‭?‬
A2‭)        ‬Gibraltar‭.

Q3‭)‬        Gone with the Wind‭ ‬debuted on‭ ‬15th December,‭ ‬1939.‭ ‬Who directed the film:‭ ‬Gordon Flemyng,‭ ‬Victor Fleming or Ian Fleming‭?‬
A3‭)‬        ‬Victor‭ Fleming‭.‭

Q4‭)‬        The then Home Secretary resigned:‭ ‬on‭ ‬15th December,‭ ‬2004.‭ ‬Which Home Secretary:‭ ‬David Blunkett,‭ ‬Charles Clarke or John Reid‭?‬
A4‭)‬        ‬David‭Blunkett‭.‭

Q5‭)‬         Finally‭ ‬… ? 15th December,‭ ‬1914,‭ ‬saw a gas explosion at the Mitsubishi‭ ‬Hōjō‭ ‬Coal Mine.‭ ‬Explosion,‭ ‬and mine,‭ ‬were in which Asian nation‭?‬
A5‭)‬        Japan‭.‭

Here‭’‬s a thought‭ ‬…

“‬The demonstrators boarded the ships and threw the chests of tea into the Boston Harbor‭”‬.‭
From the Wikipedia entry on the Party.‭

And a song‭& …


Today‭’‬s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s‭ Teaser‭.‭

Decisions about scores are final.‭

Thank you for coming, and any help you can offer:‭ ‬have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum§!

        You mean the boiler or the computer, Olga§?   The boiler was a relatively simple job: it was something called the 'diverter valve'.   I laughed when the engineer told me that: the same valve went -- frequently -- on my last boiler!
        The computer, on the other hand?   The boiler engineer was here for such a short time, I managed to take the iMac to the repair shop before it shut.   It sounds like there's a shorting component, somewhere, rather than a wonky power supply.   I'm not looking forward to Friday, which is when I find out.
        Hang on, Ramon's a talker, you say?   Sounds like me, when I was working bars: it's a social thing, as much as a job.   Sounds like a friend of mine, too: persuading Graham to shut up for five minutes is a job and a half!
        Catch you when we see you!

        What is it with writers and cats, Debbi§!?   Terry Pratchett had a few.   And Storm -- the writer I'd met a few times? -- had twielve, at one put.   (The first time I met her?   One of her cats sat on me: and gave my hair a wash.   Strange animals, cats ...)

§        My apologies about the formatting, today, folks:getting to how Ubuntu MATE, andthe way its version of Firefox interacts with the blog, takes a little getting used to.

&        The only band that was supposed to be better than the Sensational Alex Harvey Band?   Were Kilburn and the High Roads ...


3 comments:

Mum said...

1 1773
2 Massachusetts
3 Iroquois
4 Dartmouth
5 1908

Olga said...

Q1) 1773

‬Q2) Massachusetts

Q3) the Iroquois Confederacy

Q4) The Dartmouth

Q5) 1908


I hope things aren't too bad in the end. We survived to the evening, and it was quite interesting, as I spent some time talking to the mother of the director of the radio station, and she is an interesting woman.
Tomorrow ill be busy, but if I can I'll catch up in the early afternoon.

Debbi said...

Well, you see, we'd ordered coffee. And then this tea comes in ... Um. :)

All water under the bridge. :) Tea-flavored water.

1. 1773
2. Massachusetts
3. the Iroquois Confederacy
4. the Dartmouth
5. 1908