Wednesday 20 July 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20-7-2016

Does anyone know what’s happening with creativecommons.org?

Basically?   The site’s the one I use to license the quizzes I post here: that lets you re-use them, should you choose to.

It’s being affected by a 522 error: in other words, the site’s taking too long to respond to a web browser.

Oh, WAIT … !

It’s back online.

But Wikipedia seems to be having issues …

Oy … !

~≈É≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) 20th July, 1990, saw the Provisional IRA set off a bomb.   Outside London’s what?
Q2) 20th July, 1189, saw Richard 1st of England invested as Duke of where: Normandy, Aquitaine or Orleans?
Q3) During World War 1, 20th July, 1917, saw the signing of the Declaration of Corfu.   The Declaration led to the creation of which (then) Kingdom?
Q4) The Viking 1 lander, landed: on 20th July, 1976.   Landed where?
Q5) Finally … 20th July, 2015, saw the USA resume formal diplomatic contact: with which island nation?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th July, 1970, saw the birth of Scotland’s First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon.   Which political party is she leader of?
A1) The Scottish National Party: or SNP.
Q2) 19th July, 1952, saw the formal opening of the 1952 Summer Olympics.      They were held in which European country?
A2) Finland.   (In the capital, Helsinki, to be precise.)
Q3) 28 years later, 19th July, 1980, saw the Summer Olympics open: in which Russian city?
A3) Moscow.
Q4) The Metro line between Porte Maillot and Porte de Vincennes opened: on 19th July, 1900.   This marked the opening of the first part of which city’s Metro system?
A4) Paris’s.
Q5) Finally … Evelyn Glennie was born: on 19th July, 1965.   Dame Evelyn is a noted percussionist: despite being what?
A5) Deaf.
I’ll leave you with these words …
“If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes.”
Ascribed to Alexander the Great, 20 July 356 BC – 10 June 323 BC.
And this tune …


Have a good day!








*        I do wonder about the Internet, sometimes, Olga, I really do!   Personally?   I’m starting to think my router’s acting up: the amount of interruptions I’m getting, trying to stream films and songs from my computer, TO my Apple TV, is stupid!   (It’s probably just a question of time, I think.   But The Witch?   Is worth the effort!)

†        Couple of classics, there, Debbi!   Did you ever see The Wicker Man, out of curiosity?   I think The Witch, like The Babadook and A Field in England, belong to the same school of horror.   None of them are your blood-stained splasher/body horror type of film.   They’re more psychological, and VERY twisty … !   (That hare, in The Witch?   Is a bit mad looking …)

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Stock Exchange
Q2) Normandy
Q3) Kingdom of Yugoslavia
Q4) Mars
Q5) Cuba
I think you're right about the internet anyway. I discovered this morning that some of the groups where I share stuff with other writers had had problems too and things had disappeared... Keep me posted on horror movies. I have to try and catch up when I'm back in the UK because my mother dislikes horror.

Debbi said...

There are actually other exceptions, now that I think of it. Especially when the horror is psychological. Then, it borders on suspense/thriller. Haven't seen Wicker Man, but I am curious. :)

1. Stock Exchange
2. Normandy
3. Yugoslavia
4. Mars
5. Cuba

In fact, Wayward Pines has elements of horror to it. But it reminds me so much of The Prisoner!