Friday 29 July 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29-7-2016: Boy Scouts Out Camping

Oh, I HATE that when it happens!

I had to take the day off, ill, yesterday!

And guess what … ?

With a set of playing up guts!

Frankly?

Frankly, I managed to drag my ageing carcass into town: so I could make a much needed doctors appointment.

AND?

Well, given that I’ve felt this week’s set of flare-ups were due to the cooking oil I’ve been using?

I got a different brand: which seems to have helped with last’s dinner.

~≈Ê≈~

Oh, JUST as a quick additional thought, here?

I mentioned, on Wednesday Weekly Teaser, that the Gazette had dropped the Teaser for the week: at least the print version.

Disappointing, obviously.

Which got me complaining to the Editor, Alan.

According to him?

It and the letters page, got replaced at the last minute: to make way for an advert.

And MAY not be featured as frequently.

Something I’ve already told them may be a bad idea.

I’m already thinking I should get in touch with the Brentwood Recorder, to see if they need a quiz.

Wish me luck on that front.

And if you’d like to ask the Brentwood Gazette’s editor about the Teaser?

Feel free to get in touch with him: he’s Alan Woods, on alan.woods@gazettenews.co.uk.   (You can also use editorial@gazettenews.co.uk.)

~≈Ê≈~
But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Debbi†, and newcomer, AngelFRMCanada‡, putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 29th July saw the founder of the Scouting movement set up the original Scout Camp.   The Camp was on Brownsea Island: in WHICH Harbour?
Q2) Town, harbour and island are in which English county?
Q3) The founder of the Scouts — and organizer of the camp — was Lieutenant General Sir Robert whom?
Q4) The Camp formally started on which date in August?
Q5) Sir Robert wrote the book that’s considered the basic text of Scouting.   It’s called Scouting for whom?
Q6) That book was first published in which year?
Q7) Sir Robert formed his ideas on Scouting, whilst in the British Army.   Specifically, during the Siege of Mafeking.   Mafeking is in which African country?
Q8) In the UK, the Girl Guides are the female branch of the Scout movement.   What’s the junior branch of the Guides called?
Q9) Who wrote and performed the satirical song, Be Prepared?
Q10) In the Peanuts comic strip, Woodstock the bird, and some of his friends, are members of a Scout troop led by which beagle?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th July is World Hepatitis Day.   Hepatitis is a condition of which organ?
A1) The liver.
Q2) An earthquake hit the Chinese city of Tangshan.   On the 28th July of which year?
A2) 1976.
Q3) 28th July, 2015, saw the death of cricketer, Clive Rice.   Which international side had he played for: England, South Africa or the West Indies?
Q4) 28th July, 1915, saw the USA started its occupation of which island nation?
A4) Haiti.
Q5) Finally … 28th July, 1935, saw the first official flight of the Boeing B17 Flying Fortress.   What kind of military plane was the B17: a bomber, fighter plane or troop transport?
A5) Bomber.
I’ll you with these songs … 



And this thought …
“The secret of sound education is to get each pupil to learn for himself, instead of instructing him by driving knowledge into him on a stereotyped system.”
Robert Baden-Powell, 22 February 1857 – 8 January 1941.
Have a nice day!







*        Good luck with THAT, Olga!   I’ll look forward to hearing more about it, as and when you can fill us in.   (Shame Debbi’s not back over, I‘d’ve suggested coffee at mine: Brentwood’s only a few miles away from London.)

†        Welcome aboard, Angel!   It’s good to have an extra contributor!   And, yep: I was wondering where I’d heard Swagger Jagger, before!   (Did I tell you I reviewed Repo Man?   Entertaining film: although I think my write-up needs work!)

‡        Phew!   Nice to know you’ve a work-around, already, Debbi!

1 comment:

Debbi said...

I read your review! Yes, Repo Man is a silly film. But I just love it! :)

My sister and I used to joke that the guy with dark glasses (the crazy one, who initially drove the alien-infested Malibu) was played by our Dad! They really did look alike. :)

1. Poole Harbour
2. Dorset
3. Baden-Powell
4. Aug. 1
5. Boys
6. 1908
7. South Africa
8. Brownies
9. Tom Lehrer
10. Snoopy

Wish I could be there to enjoy a cuppa espresso with you and Olga! And Trevor, too, for that matter. :)