Sunday, 31 July 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 31-7-2016

Oh, now that’s TWICE, this week!

I’ve suffer from IBS, so you know: which isn’t serious.

But CAN be extremely painful.   To the point of incapacitation.

It hit, again, last night: whilst I was at work.

To the point where I got sent home: where I spent most of the evening writhing in agony or vomiting.

I was in pain: and grateful.   Although it does mean I lose money.

Understandably, the boss wasn’t happy about it.

I can’t say I blame him.

Would you be?

On a personal level, the only good to come of it?

Is I had a bit of good news, when I got home.

I’ll keep that under my hat, for now: but it was news that told me the world’s got it’s upsides.

~≈®≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring ten out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 31st July, 1962, saw trouble at a rally organised by which fascist politician?
Q2) 31st July, 1970, was Black Tot Day: the day the UK’s Royal Navy issued its last rum ration.   The rum was usually turned into grog: by mixing it with what?
Q3) Which writer was — literally — pilloried, on 21st July, 1703?
Q4) Christchurch, in New Zealand, was chartered: on 31st July, 1856.   Is Christchurch on New Zealand’s North or South Island?
Q5) Finally … Georgia joined the United Nations: on 31st July, 1992.   Up until 1991, Georgia had been part of what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 30th July saw the founding — and the start of construction — of Baghdad.   In which year: 762 AD, 763 or 764?
A1) 762 AD.
Q2) What was the name of the man who founded Baghdad?
A2) Abu Ja'far Abdallah ibn Muhammad al-Mansur: commonly called al-Mansur.
Q3) He was an Abbasid what: Sultan, Emir or Caliph?
A3) Caliph.
Q4) Baghdad, itself, is on which river: the Thames, Mississippi or Tigris?
A4) The Tigris.
Q5) The city’s original core is called what: the Square, Round or Triangular, City?
A5) The Round City.
Q6) That core contained a famed library and academic centre: called the House of … what?
A6) House of Wisdom.
Q7) The city contains the al-Kādhimiya … what?
A7) The al-Kādhimiya Mosque.
Q8) Baghdad is twinned with the city of Beirut.   Where is Beirut?
A8) Lebanon.
Q9) Which Baghdad street is noted for the number of book-sellers?
A9) Mutanabbi Street.   (It’s named after famed Arabic poet, al-Mutanabbi.)
Q10) Finally … Baghdad is the capital of which modern republic?
A10) Iraq.
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“Rock n’ roll really belongs to all America. It really doesn’t belong to one city.”
Ahmet Ertegun, July 31 1923 – December 14, 2006.
And this tune … 


Enjoy your Sunday.

And if you can avoid flare ups, do!





*      Oh, it’s a bank holiday, tomorrow, Olga … I’m assuming the office your dealing with will be open … ?   (It’s a HELL of a trip, that museum: although I think Jude might be more impressed with the Natural History Museum.   After all, it’s got DINOSAURS!   And a huge WHALE!)



†        You’re right, Debbi, they could spot silly … !   Oh, and slightly suspect … 

3 comments:

  1. You've really confused me, but no, tomorrow is not a Bank Holiday, only in Scotland and Northern Ireland, it seems. the Bank Holiday is on the 8th. I was confused already. I hope you're feeling better now but sorry yesterday was a bad day (from Friday things have been up in the air here too).
    Sorry, I got too confused for the quiz...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Olga, I’ve gone and confused myself!

    I could’ve SWORN tomorrow’s a bank holiday … but according to the government’s own site … ?

    It’s at the END of August!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries, Paul! I can barely keep track of which year it is, let alone which day! :)

    Time just flies by! :)

    1. Oswald Mosley
    2. water
    3. Daniel Defoe
    4. South Island
    5. the Soviet Union

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.