Saturday 9 July 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 9-7-2016

Oh … 

BOY … !

Did I mention I did a long shift, yesterday?

I had a long shift, yesterday!

And right now?

Feel like going back to bed.

Ha!

Yeah … that’ll let me catch up.

Especially as I have to go shopping, today!

I’ll have to worry about sleep, AFTER I’ve bough food.

Now … 

Can someone remind me to get some wheat-free muesli … ?

~≈Ù≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord was named as Prime Minister: on 9th July, 1815.   Of where?
Q2) Bohemia was granted religious freedom, on 9th July, 1609: by Rudolf 2nd.   Rudolf was what: Tsar of Russia, Holy Roman Emperor or Ottoman Sultan?
Q3) Which country gained its independence from Sudan: on 9th July, 2011?
Q4) Early in the morning of 9th July, 1984, a historic church in York was hit by fire.   Which historic church?
Q5) Finally … 9th July, 2011, saw the death of guitarist, Würzel.   Which hard rocking band had he been a member of?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 8th July, 1965, saw Great Train Robber, Ronnie Biggs, escape.   From which prison?
A1) HMP Wandsworth.
Q2) The USS Jeanette departed: on 8th July, 1879.   On an ill-fated voyage to where?
A2) The North Pole.
Q3) The Wall Street Journal was first published on 8th July, 1889.   What kind of news does it cover: business, political or entertainment?
A3) Business.
Q4) 8th July, 1853, saw a US Navy squad led by Commodore Perry, arrive at Edo Bay.   Bay — and squad — were in which country?
A4) Japan.
Q5) Finally … 8th July, 1908, saw the birth of Nelson Rockefeller.   He was Vice-President of the USA … when who was President?
A5) Gerald Ford.
I’ll leave you with these thoughts …
“I think there’s always been singers like that and I’ve done my fair share of cheese as well.”
Marc Almond, born 9th July, 1957.
“In rock stardom there’s an absolute economic upside to self-destruction.”
Courtney Love, born 9th July, 1964.
And these tunes … 



Enjoy your day … 










*        Oh, that they are, Olga!   Which reminds me, I’ve got to book up a train ticket for Wednesday.   I don’t think it’ll be cheaper, but at least’s it’s bought and paid for!   (Oh, I knew Edo was what’s now Tokyo.   I’m something of an ex-role-playing-gamer: with one favourite rules set being GURPS‡, by Steve Jackson Games.   Their GURPS Japan rulebook was well spoken of: both as a game, and a rough guide to Japanese history.)

†        SHOULD be sending something for you, today, Debbi.   ;)   I’m not surprised they’ve a music section, Debbi.   I think we forget the music business is exactly that: a music business.   Having a music writer means the WSJ can cover the business aspects AND blag a few free albums.   Just so they properly review things, obviously!   (Actually, Debbi, I mentioned GURPS to Olga, there: you may want to keep an eye open for GURPS The Prisoner.   Interesting to see how Steve Jackson Games translated the show into a playable game … )

‡        Actually, the game’s makers, Steve Jackson Games, were and are well thought of: especially when researching backgrounds for their various genre-based rule-book.   It got them in trouble.   Their GURPS Cyberpunk rulebook got them raided by the US Secret Service, who were convinced they were up to something!

2 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Almost forgot, Happy Birthday, Debbi!

(Don’t fall off the table you’re dancing on … !)

Debbi said...

Thanks, Paul! :) One of my trivia questions for the Facebook event was obviously stolen from you. Thanks for that. I learn something new all the time here! :)

1. France
2. Holy Roman Empire
3. South Sudan
4. York Minster
5. Motorhead