Wednesday 27 July 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27-7-2016

Ok … 

I am DEFINITELY feeling tired: bordering on the ropey.

And ALSO feeling that I should … you know … 

Shut the windows!

Basically?

It’s actually looking like it’s going to rain.

Which makes a change: especially given as my home town’s been sweltering, a bit, under some rather toasty weather.

I might just head out in the rain … 

And see what’s what … !

~≈Ç≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: scoring ten out of ten in the process.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The Royal Charter that founded the Bank of England, was issued on 27th July: of which year of the 1690s?
Q2) 27th July, 1929, saw the 1929 version of the Geneva Convention signed.   What did it regulate, during a war: chemical weapons, prisoners of war or nuclear weapons?
Q3) 27th July, 1955, saw the end of Allied Occupation of where: Austria, Hungary or Germany?
Q4) Ken Barlow married Deirdre Langton: on 27th July, 1981.   The characters’ wedding boosted the ratings: of which British soap?
Q5) Finally … 27th July, 1930, saw the birth of politician, Shirley Williams.   Since receiving a Damehood, in 1993, she’s been Dame Williams of where?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 26th July saw the birth of British writer, Aldous Huxley.   In which year of the 1890s?
A1) 1894.
Q2) He was a noted writer.   His brothers Julian and Andrew were noted what: biologists, physicists or chemists?
Q3) Aldous’s grandfather, Thomas, was known as whose bulldog?
Q4) Aldous read English Literature: at which Oxford College?
A4) Balliol.
Q5) His first novel was published in 1921.   What’s it called?
Q6) The Doors of Perception was Huxley’s account of his use of what: LSD, Mescaline or Psilocybin?
A6) Mescaline.   (Has anyone on Wikipedia tried everything on that list?)
Q7) More to the point, which US band took their name from The Doors of Perception?
A7) Who else?   The Doors.
Q8) Huxley’s The Devils of Loudon was turned into a 1971 film, directed by Ken Russell?   Which film?
Q9) Huxley’s best known work, the dystopian Brave New World, takes its name from a quote.   From which of Shakespeare’s plays: Hamlet, The Tempest or Troilus and Cressida?
A9) The Tempest.   (It was one of my favourite books, when I was a teenager.   Well, anything that kept talking about sex …)
Q10) Finally … Huxley died on 22nd November, 1963.   The same day as President John F. Kennedy: and the author of the Narnia books.   Who was that latter author?
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“You know, there are people who are basically unbalanced who are going to misuse a game and have bad results. If a golfer who insists on playing during a lightning storm gets hit by a stroke of lightning and is killed nobody says, ‘There’s golfers dying by the droves being hit by lightning!’ You can overdo what you really like, and if you’re unbalanced, you go overboard.”
Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 – March 4, 2008.
And, marking the birthday of bassoonist, Vernon Elliot?   This … 


Have a good day!





*        I grew up on the Narnia books, Debbi†.   I got introduced to them at Junior school, WAY back in the day!   I can still remember the cover.   Frankly, the series is what got me interested in fantasy, in the first place.   (Did I tell you I’m reading Le Guin’s A Wizard of Earthsea?   It’s just beautifully written!   Oh, and the Wikipedia entry’s got a picture of the first edition’s cover.   That font looks VERY familiar!)

†        Oh, I’ll let you off the Balliol spelling, Debbi.   British English can be a bit … you know … bonkers!   (I seem to recall there’s  an argument we can — based on the spelling of the word ‘enough’ — spell ‘fish’ as ‘ghish’.)

1 comment:

Debbi said...

Good heavens! :) I had no idea! :)

Thanks for cutting this American some slack! :)

BTW, here's the link to the YouTube video I did. I'll put it up on some blog or another. Later! :) https://youtu.be/-hWYJBcY_ao

1. 1694
2. prisoners of war
3. Austria
4. Coronation Street
5. Crosby

Got fitted for a new hand splint today. Not bad, actually, but still makes for laborious typing.

It's been ages since I last read Ursula LeGuin. Another author I should get back to reading. So many books, etc.

Sometimes, I think I'd make a very good readers' advisory librarian. I love reading so much!