Sunday 3 July 2016

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 3-7-2016

Dear me … 

They’s dropping like flies, from the flies … 

If you’re a film fan in the UK, you’ll have awoken to the news that Michael Cimino — the man who directed The Deer Hunter — has died at the age of seventy-seven.

Not that I’d ever seen it: I should maybe point it on my bucket list.

One film I HAVE seen … ?   Is Robin Hardy’s The Wicker Man.   It’s an utter classic: and one, I feel, would be hard to re-make today.    In spite of efforts to do so.

Robin Hardy … ?   Died yesterday … 

When you realise comedian, writer and actress,Caroline Ahearne died, yesterday?

You, like me, are probably wondering who’s next … 

~≈È≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?   Before we get depressed …

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, 3rd July sees the start of the what days: dead days, dodgy days or dog days?
Q2) 3rd July, 1987, saw war criminal, Klaus Barbie, sentenced to life imprisonment.   During World War Two, Barbie had been the head of the Gestapo: in which French city?
Q3) Which Pacific island was first sighted on 3rd July, 1767: by Midshipman Robert Pitcairn?
Q4) The last known breeding pair of Great Auks were killed: on 3rd July, 1844.   The birds were killed on an island off the coast of which country?
Q5) Finally … 3rd July, 1971, saw the death of singer, Jim Morrison.   Which band was he the singer for?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 2nd June, 1698, saw Thomas Savery patent the one of the earliest versions of what: automated loom, steam engine or radio?
Q2) 2nd July, 1900, saw the first flight of a Zeppelin.   The flight took place near which Lake: Lake Erie, Lake Constance or Lake Starnberg?
Q3) Spain ratified the Treaty of Tordesillas: on 2nd July, 1494.   This allowed parts of South America to be colonized by Spain: and the rest by WHICH country?
A3) Portugal.
Q4) 2nd June, 1986, saw the birth of actress, Lindsey Lohan.   In which of her films did she co-star with a VW Beetle?
Q5) Finally … 2nd July, 1956, saw the birth of model, Jerry Hall.   Who did Jerry marry, this year?
I’ll leave you with this thought …
“If journalism is good, it is controversial, by its nature.”
Julian Assange, born 3rd July, 1971.
And the song that’s been ear-worming it’s way through my head since I wrote today’s set … 


Have a good day … 













*        That I did, Olga‡: although I always find those long shifts a pain in the proverbial!

†        Bernard Lee or Judi Dench, Debbi‡?   Just out of curiosity … !   (I THINK Ralph Fiennes would’ve been a bit young … )

Oh, I caught this piece on the BBC news website.   Apparently, a research professor at Glasgow University is developing a grow-it-yourself drone aircraft.   I’m THINKING we’re turning into an Iain M. Banks novel

2 comments:

Debbi said...

Hopefully, not a William Gibson novel. :)

I meant the original M -- Bernard Lee.

1. dog days
2. Lyon
3. Pitcairn Island
4. Iceland
5. the Doors

Olga said...

I'd missed the news of the deaths... I love the Deer Hunter and quite a few other Michael Cimino movies. I remember going to the cinema to watch it although in theory I was too young at the time (I think it was for over 18s and I was 15 or thereabouts when it came to Spain). I did watch quite a number of Vietnam movies around that time. It's a long and slow movie but it has some fantastic performances (well, all of them). Christopher Walken is fantastic. And of course Robert de Niro and Meryl Streep. So young all of them...
Sorry, I almost forgot the answers..
Q1) Dog Days
Q2) Lyon
Q3) Pitcairn Island…
Q4) Iceland, although I wonder about this… A later claim of a live individual sighted in 1852 on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland has been accepted by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN). As that is from Wikipedia… (It also says the same here…http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Pinguinus_impennis/)
Q5) The Doors