Monday 22 November 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22-11-2021: Terry Gilliam.

22nd November, 2021.



Right … it’s Monday.

Which is possibly a reason to cheerful.


At any rate … ?

I’ve quickly poked my head around the front door this morning.

And the temperature is something to not be happy about.

It’s decidedly cold.

I’ll be wearing a scarf, when I go out!

~≈€≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Edith†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga scoring ten out of ten, Debbi on nine, Mum on six, and Edith on five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        22nd November saw the birth of animator/director, Terry Gilliam.   In which year of the 1940s?

Q2)        He was born in the USA, became a British subject in 1968, and renounced his US citizenship in which year: 2005, 2006 or 2007?

Q3)        He rose to fame as an animator: for which British comedy troop?   (I want the name of the troop: not the show.)

Q4)        He co-directed a 1975 film with Terry Jones.   Which film was it: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Jabberwocky or Brazil?

Q5)        Finally … ?   His most recent film is The Killing of Don whom?
Here’s yesterday’sº questions and answers … 

Q1)        North Carolina signed joined the USA: on 21st November of which year: 1788, 1789 or 1790?
A1)        1789.

Q2)        It was the which state to do so: the 11th, 12th or 13th?
A2)        The 12th.

Q3)        What’s North Carolina’s capital: Raleigh, Charlotte or Greensboro?
A3)        Raleigh.

Q4)        What’s North Carolina’s largest city by population: Raleigh, Charlotte or Greensboro?
A4)        Charlotte.

Q5)        North Carolina — reluctantly — joined which side in the American Civl War: Union or Confederate?
A5)        Confederate.   (Parts of the state were pro Union: but North Carolina contributed troops to the Confederate States: and Wilmington, its major port, was a major source of supplies to the CSA army.     Saying that … ?   Some North Carolina regiments joined the Union Army: and the state’s ALSO known as “the last to join the Confederacy.”)

Q6)        The Asheville Tourists, the Greensboro Grasshoppers and the Wilmington Sharks, all play what: soccer, American Football or Baseball?
A6)        Baseball.

Q7)        Jazz musician, John Coltrane, was from North Carolina.   What did he play: piano, saxophone or guitar?
A7)        Saxophone.

Q8)        Writer, William Sydney Porter, was born in North Carolina.   He was better known how: Ernest Hemingway, Walt Whitman or O. Henry?
A8)        O. Henry.

Q9)        What’s the cuisine from North Carolina: Chinese, Barbecue or Italian American … ?
A9)        Barbecue.   (And no: I’m not talking about the town, either!)

Q10)        Finally … ?   The USS North Carolina (SSN-777) is the most recent US Navy ship named after after the state.   What IS it: an aircraft carrier, a submarine or a dreadnought?
A10)        A submarine.
Here’s a thought … 
“I don’t like being fucked up.   I’ve got enough bizarre chemicals floating around in my head.   I’m just naturally like this.”
Terry Gilliam.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.






*        Wouldn’t you know it, Olgaª?   I put Nashville instead of Asheville!   Argh!   I think the review’s going to do well.   I hope!   I got it posted relatively late.

        My pleasure, Edithª: I just hope the Ian Dury one goes down well.   Pointless trivia for you.   Impossible Dream got used for a car advert, here in the UK: back in 2021.   It was a little bit over the top!


        Hello, Mum!

^        You’ll be glad to hear I don’t have another one planned for a while, Debbiª: although I was tempted to do one about Terry Gilliam.   And I knew Christopher Ecclestone wouldn’t be back: the minute Russell T. Davies was announced as the new show runner.   There’d been a little too much bad blood.   It’s a shame … but … 

ª        Just in case everyone’s interested in my review of Dr Who’s fourth chapter?   Here … 


º        Can I make a confess?   I’ve had this song earworming its way through my head, ever since I wrote yesterday’s set!   (The tune was originally written by Prince Buster: the guitar riff you can occasionally hear in Shaggy’s version is lifted from Duane Eddy’s Peter Gunn Theme.)

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1940

Q2) 2006

Q3) Monty Python (troupe?)

Q4) Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Q5) Don Quixote (and I have actually watched it, on the big screen and all. I don’t miss one of his movies if I can, at all, help it).
Oh, Asheville! Well, it was weird that I managed to find another team that had Nashville on its name as well, and it was luckily baseball, otherwise, I would have been totally confused. Good on the video. With my cold, I had a particularly slow day yesterday and didn't get much done. Thankfully the event for the radio was on Saturday (perhaps it being outdoors didn't help, although it was fairly amusing. I met a 92 y.o. man who remembered playing in one of the civil war refuges during and after the war...)
Wrap up warm. I didn't like hats, but in recent years, I've taken to wearing them, both in the summer (to protect from the heat and sun) and the winter (woolly hats. The uglier, the better).

Freda said...

1 1940
2 2006
3 Monty Python
4 Jabberwocky
5 Quixote

Edith said...

1.1947
2. 2007
3. Monty Python
4. Jabberwocky
5. Jaun

Wow-what commercial!

Debbi said...

Well, it is what it is, as they say. :) Anyway, Chris seems like a decent guy.

1. 1940
2. 2006
3. Monty Python or the Pythons
4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
5. Quixote (the title is actually The Man Who Killed Don Quixote)

I didn't know Gilliam had renounced his U.S. citizenship. Now, there's a not-so-secretly-British person. :)