Thursday 4 November 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4-11-2021: Party at the NSA … 

4th November, 2021.


You know, I could kick myself, I really could!

The test I was due, yesterday?   I didn’t have!

It turns out I was supposed to fast for it: and hadn’t noticed the check box on the form!

AAAAAARGH!

Damn those cornflakes!

OK … I’ve re-booked the test for early December: in the morning, so I’m not hungry for too long.

But, even so … ?

I’m kicking myself … !

~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Edith† and Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, and Olga, Edith and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        4th November, 1952, saw the US establish the National Security Agency. It’s based in Fort Meade: in which US state?

Q2)        By which US President … ?

Q3)        The Agency was revealed to the public in which year of the 1970s?

Q4)        The Agency collects signals intelligence.   Which British agency collects signals intelligence: MI5, MI6 or GCHQ?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Agency is part of which US Government Department: the Department of Agriculture, Commerce or Defence?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        3rd November, 1534, saw Parliament pass the first Act of Succession.   It named who as head of the Church of England: Elizabeth 1st, Henry 8th or Henry 7th?
A1)        Henry 8th.   (The act that named Elizabeth 1st as head was in 1558!)

Q2)        3rd November is Culture Day.   Where: China, Japan or South Korea?
A2)        Japan.

Q3)        The French Army withdrew from Fashoda: on 3rd November, 1898.   Fashoda’s now in which country: Ethiopia, Sudan or Somalia?
A3)        Sudan.   It’s now called Kodok.

Q4)        Who won the US Presidential Election of 3rd November, 2020: Joe Biden or Donald Trump?
A4)        President Joe Biden.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Composer, John Barry, was born on 3rd November, 1933.   He was the uncredited arranger for the theme of which 1962 spy film? 
A5)        Dr No.   (He arranged it: but the Dr No theme — which has been used ever since — was composed by Monty Norman.   The theme is based on some Norman wrote for an unsuccessful musical.)
Here’s a thought … 
“Defending Our Nation.   Securing the Future.”
The NSA’s motto.
And some music …


And a Rockwell number … !


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        The theme’s certainly a classic, Olga!   But Goole for Good Sign Bad Sign, the original version!
        As for the tests … ?   I’m going to have to kick myself, I think!   I’ve rebooked, but, LORD, you should’ve seen my face, yesterday!
        I know how your Uncle, feels, though: I feel … OKish, despite the knees and Diabetes!   We’ll have to see how the tests do go, come December!
        (Sorry about the score: but the act than named Elizabeth 1st as Supreme Governor was introduced in 1558, four years after Mary repealed Henry’s 1534 original.   I get the impression Henry had a really functional family!)

        We’ve got some, Edith: but you can’t really hear them over the trains … !



        Hello, Mum!   (The Spy Who Came in from the Cold was in 1965!)

^        I’ve done a few, this week, Debbi: Dr Who, DuneLovecraft Country.   I’ll be honest, Michael K. Williams put in the performance of a lifetime as the main character’s father, in Lovecraft Country: especially in the most recent episode.   The man’s death’s a tragedy!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Maryland

Q2) Harry S. Truman

Q3) 1975

Q4) MI6

Q5) The Department of Defense (US spelling)
Sorry about the test. They used to give clearer instructions before, or perhaps that is what I seem to remember, but I must admit I tend to put the paperwork away, especially if it’s a long time to go until the test, and I have to leave reminders to check beforehand what I need to do.
Oh, the confusion about the Succession Act came from this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Succession_Act
It mentions the year before, but also the same year, and I can’t quite work out what is the point in appointing Henry VIII when he was already in power. Surely it would have been about who would succeed him... Anyway... whatever

Freda said...

1 1952
2 Eisenhower
3 1972
4 GCHQ
5 Defence
5

Edith said...

1.Indiana
2. Eisenhower
3. 1975
4. GCHQ
5. Defense

Yes, noises can interfere.

Debbi said...

Definitely tragic. He was great in everything I've seen him in.

1. Maryland (right down the road from me)
2. Harry Truman
3. 1975
4. GCHQ
5. Defence