Monday 15 November 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15th November, 2021.

15th November, 2021.


You know it was Remembrance Sunday, yesterday?   Here in the UK, anyway.

It’s THE day the Britain commemorates its war dead: from the First World War, all the way to the Conflict in Afghanistan.

It’s ALSO a day that Irish nationalists don’t like.

Many Irish people volunteered to become soldiers in the UK Army during WW1: when something nationalists see as contentious, as they feel those volunteers should have stayed home, fighting for Irish independence.

Indeed, if I’ve understood things correctly?

That’s spurred the Provisional IRA to bomb at least one Remembrance Day parade: in Enniskillen, many years ago.

I believe there’s been other such Remembrance Day Bombings: but don’t quote me.

The reason I mention it … ?

Is that a minicab was deliberately blown up, yesterday: at one minute to eleven, on Remembrance Sunday, outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

Which, I should add, is very near the Anglican Cathedral where the service was being held.

The driver of the cab survived.

His passenger, didn’t.

Three men in their twenties have since been arrested.

~≈💣≈~

Right now … ?

I think it’s dreadful that this has happened.

And can’t help but speculate: that this has got something to do with Northern Ireland.

After all, there’s been discontent — on Unionist sides — about the various Brexit linked discussion: practically since 2016!

There’s also been at least one bus hijacking: blamed on the loyalist Ulster Volunteer Force.

I can’t but think that this was an reprisal attempt by Nationalists.

We probably won’t know until the trials, if any.

~≈💣≈~

JUST as a lighter note?

I caught Once, Upon a Time, last night: the most recent episode of Dr Who.

My written review is here, if you’re interested.

My video review … ?


Well … 

~≈💣≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Edith*, Olga†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring four out of five.



You have to love some questions, don’t you?

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        15th November is the feast day of Albertus Magnus.   He’s also known as Albertus of Cologne, or as Albertus the what: Great, Good or Giddy?

Q2)        15th November is the Day of the Imprisoned what: singer, painter or writer?

Q3)        The Stichting Max Havelaar label became the first Fairtrade label to be launched: on 15th November, 1988.   It was launched where: France, Belgium or the Netherlands?

Q4)        15th November, 1867, saw the birth of Sinologist, Emil Krebs.   A Sinologist studies where: Japan, China or Australia?

Q5)        Finally?   15th November, 1930, saw the birth of writer, J. G. Ballard.   Which of his novels was turned into a 1987 Steven Spielberg film?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        14th November is World Diabetes Day.   How many types of diabetes are there: two, three or four?
A1)        Three.

Q2)        Name one of them.
A2)        Type 1 Diabetes, formerly known as juvenile Diabetes, Type 2, which used to be called Adult-Onset diabetes, or the only temporary form, gestational diabetes, which you only get if you’re pregnant.   (I’ve got type 2.   If I ever get gestational diabetes, I’ll let you know!)

Q3)        Whatever form you have, if you’re diabetic, you have trouble with which ‘I’: inhibin, insulin or insulin-like growth hormone?
A3)        Insulin.

Q4)        Many diabetics will have polydipsia as a result of the condition.   Polydipsia means you’re increasingly what: hungry, thirsty or tired?
A4)        Thirsty.   (Being increasingly hungry is also a symptom: it’s called polyphagia.   It made immediate sense, when I read about it.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Diabetes is caused by problems with what: the pharynx, pancreas or kidneys?
A5)        The pancreas.
Here’s a thought … 
“I would sum up my fear about the future in one word: boring.”
J. G. Ballard, 15 November 1930 – 19 April 2009.
And some music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        She’s voiced Peg, as well, Edith: one one that sings He’s a Tramp … ?   (The dogs howling along in the background is funny!)


        We got it, Olga: hopefully, a certain someone’s not twigged what Mummy and I were talking about, last night!   Dinner was great, I should add!
        And there’s always something new to find out about history: I’m still wondering exactly which street in Brentwood’s the one the Peasant Revolt’s started in.
        Oh … did I mention polyphagia?   It’s a diabetes symptom that means you’re always feeling hungry.   It made sense when I read about it!

        Hello, Mum!

^        You’re right, there, Debbi!   (If I end up with gestational diabetes, I’ll let you know!)

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Great

Q2) Writer (probably more common than the other two, although singers are being incarcerated at higher rates now...)

Q3) The Netherlands

Q4) China

Q5) Empire of the Sun
I didn't hear about the bombing, although as I was running so late with the walk in the morning, I didn't get to watch the news or catch on what was going on in particular. These things get so incredibly complicated as time goes, that I'm not sure the score can ever get even to everyone's satisfaction. Peace looks like a dream sometimes.
Yes: polifagia, polidypsia and poliuria. Easy symptoms to remember, although people don't always realise... I didn't think about gestational diabetes as a distinct category. To tell you the truth, many bizarre things happen during a pregnancy.
Yes, please, do let us know if you get it, although I'm sure we'd hear about it!

Edith said...

1. Good
2. Painter
3. the Netherlands
4. China
5. E.T.

That is a fun song. I think she wrote some of the songs too.

Freda said...

1 Great
2 Writer
3 Nethsrlands
4 Japan
5 ET

Debbi said...

I'll have to check out your review after we see the show. :)

1. Great
2. writer
3. the Netherlands
4. China
5. Empire of the Sun