Thursday 25 November 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 25th November, 2021

25th November, 2021.


Yes!

I was at the dentists, yesterday.

I had an appointment to see a hygienist.

I sat there for forty-five minutes, waiting to see one.

And, eventually, didn’t.

The Receptionist hat hit the ‘Cancel,’ button, rather than the ‘Arrived,’ button, when I got there … 

~≈Á≈~

I also managed to have a phone conversation with an Apple Advisor: about my clock.

I’ve had the clock on my Mac set to announce the time since I first got one, twenty years ago.

Including the one I’m currently using.

Every half an hour.

Except, of course, it’s stopped doing it: after the upgrade to macOS 12.0.1 Monterey.

Unless I go through hoops.

So I’ve set up a call from Apple, last week: and another, yesterday, when the first didn’t help.

The adviser was great, I should add: I couldn’t fault him.

But — after a lot of wondering about — I still have the problem.

The clock won’t announce the time, unless I jump through hoops.

Heigh ho!

~≈Á≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Edith‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga, Mum and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Edith on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        25th November is the Feast day of Saint Elizabeth of Reute.   She’s considered the patron saint of Swabia. Swabia is now part of where: Belgium, Estonia or Germany?

Q2)        Fidel Castro died on 25th November, 2016.   He’d been the leader of which island nation … ?

Q3)        Which charity single was recorded on 25th November, 1984?

Q4)        Lope de Vega was born: on 25th November, 1562.   In what’s now, where: Portugal, Spain or Italy

Q5)        Finally … ?   25th November, 1920, saw the birth of actor, Ricardo Montalbán.   He played Khan in which Star Trek film?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) D. B. Cooper jumped from a plane: on 24th November, 1971. After he’d done what to the plane he was on: taken it off, hijacked it or landed it?
A1) Hijacked it. The FBI closed the case in 2016: having never found him. (From what I can gather? Some of the money was found on the shores of the Columbia River in 1980. I suspect that’s where you’ll find his body.)

Q2) 24th November is Evolution Day: marking the publication of On The Origin of Species. Who wrote On The Origin of Species?

Q3) Baruch Spinoza was born: on 24th November, 1632. Where: Amsterdam, Rotterdam or the Hague?
A3) Amsterdam. (It could’ve been Rotterdam, or anywhere. Except it was Amsterdam.)

Q4) 24th November is the feast day of Saint Chrysogonus: the patron saint of the city of Zadar. Zadar is the oldest continuously inhabited city, where: Serbia, Montenegro or Croatia?
A4) Croatia.

Q5) Finally … ? That Was the Week That Was was first broadcast: on 24th November, 1962. Who was its presenter: David Frost, John Cleese or Ned Sherrin?
Here’s a thought … 
“Since after all, it is the crowd who pays,
Why not content them when you write your plays?”
Lope de Vega, 25 November 1562 – 27 August 1635.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Seemingly, Olga?   The FBI closed the case … in 2016!   They could’ve left it to the anniversary!   Apparently, some of the money was found on the banks of the Columbia River.   I suspect his body, and a broken parachute, will be in the are.
        It sound’s like you’re having weather like us, at the moment: mixed!
        And as soon as I hear more about the Restart scheme I’ll be writing about it!

        Hello, Mum!   (I’ve just checked on the site: I have to cancel, tomorrow!)

        I don’t think Tango was sold in the US, Edith: that’s possibly why you missed seeing the ads.   (The original Tango ad caused an uproar!)


^        Isn’t it just, Debbi!   (Oh, I’ve been poking around: Star Trek Prodigy’s gone into a mid season hiatus … !)

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Germany

Q2) Cuba

Q3) Do They Know It’s Christmas?

Q4) Spain (I can’t help but think about el Ministerio now when I hear about him or Velazquez. I’ve watched quite a few of his plays, and the good ones are very good indeed).

Q5) Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan

What a mess about the appointment. Don't you love technology? Surely, something like that was less likely to happen when people just came out to check if the next client was there... It is easily done, but a pain nonetheless.
At the moment we have sun, but it was raining heavily just half an hour ago, so it's changeable, to say the least. And, it's supposed to be getting very cold (for here) this weekend. We shall see.

Edith said...

1. Estonia
2. Cuba
3. Doctor in Destress
4 Spain
5. The Wrath of Khan

I don't believe Tango is sold here. I had never heard of it until you mentioned it.

Freda said...

1 Germany
2 Cuba
3 Do they Know its Christmas
4 Spain
5 The Wrath of Khan

Debbi said...

It's a holiday here. I'm doing as little as possible. :)

1. Germany
2. Cuba
3. "Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Band Aid
4. Spain
5. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan