Saturday 13 November 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 13th November, 2021

13th November, 2021.


Yes: it’s official.

One?   Britney’s free.

Which is completely irrelevant to me, and my life, however important it may for her.

I just wish the Today programme would shut up about it!

~≈†≈~

Two?   It’s grim — ish — out.


Which is nice.

Not!

I’ve going to be looking in to a shop in Shenfield: repair a hand-me-down phone that’s going to be used as a Christmas present.

Here’s hoping that can be done quickly … 

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Edith‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Edith and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Olga and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        After the Armistice that ended World War One, 13th November, 1918, saw Allied troops occupy Constantinople.   Constantinople was the then capital of where: the German Empire, the Ottoman Empire or the Russian Empire?

Q2)        13th August, 354AD, saw the birth of Saint Augustine.   He’s the patron saint of whom: chefs, brewers or farmers?

Q3)        The Caister Lifeboat Disaster took place: on 13th November, 1901, off the coast of Caister on Sea.   Caister on Sea is in which English county: Norfolk, Suffolk or Essex?

Q4)        Sadly?   Leah Betts went into a coma: on 13th November, 1995.   After taking what: cocaine, ecstasy or ketamine?

Q5)        Finally … ?   13th November, 1850, saw the birth of writer, Robert Louis Stevenson.   Long John Silver is in which Robert Louis Stevenson novel: Treasure Island, Kidnapped or The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        12th November is World Pneumonia Day.   Pneumonia is a disease of the what: lungs, brain or stomach?
A1)        Lungs.

Q2)        Pneumonia is caused by what: viruses, bacteria, fungi, parasites … or all four?
A2)        All four.

Q3)        Pneumonia is which ‘I’: inflammatory, in situ or in vitro?
A3)        Inflammatory.

Q4)        The condition can be diagnosed — in part — by x-raying what: the chest, the head or the feet?
A4)        The chest.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Pneumococcal pneumonia is one type of pneumonia.   What activity puts a patient at more risk of catching Pneumococcal pneumonia: smoking, swimming or dancing?
A5)        Smoking.
Here’s a thought … 
“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.   The great affair is to move.”
From Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes by Robert Louis Stevenson,   13 November 1850 – 3 December 1894.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Quite what happened, there, Olga, I don’t know!   I DO know I had to sign out and back in to YouTube on my AppleTV: there was a lot of muttering, swearing and jumping about!

        Hello, Mum!

        Well … I think badgers are like any wild animal, Edith: if you see them, it’s sensible to keep a distance.   Especially if they see you, and act threatened.   (I think the badger I was near me was wild, and ignored me as didn’t feel threatened by me.)

^        Cheers, Debbi.   It’s only for a year: which seem to go faster the older we get!   And it sounds like you’ve made an impression, there!   I wonder if the Longleat Dr Who exhibition’s still going?
        I get the impression a few authors have a publishing marque, over here.   I know Storm did.   Quite what’s happening with that, since her death, I don’t know.

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Ottoman Empire

Q2) I think Augustine confused you, because you wrote “13th August” but it is brewers, if I got the right saint.

Q3) Norfolk

Q4) Ecstasy

Q5) Treasure Island
It seems Google went down in the UK at least. The strangest thing was that I could see your blog, and I even managed to see the questions briefly, but I normally copy them onto a document and find the answers, rather than having to keep checking years, etc, and it wouldn't allow me to do that, and when I tried to upload, it would only show me the first page and the circle as if it was trying to load it but it didn't work. Well, it's working again, so that's it.
I hope it all goes swimmingly. I'm meeting a friend in the city centre and hopefully having a meal together and then catching a movie, so it should be OK. And it's sunny right now!

Edith said...

1. Ottoman Empire
2. farmers
3. Suffolk
4. Cocaine
3. Treasure island

Yes, nature is to be respected.

Freda said...

1 Ottoman Empire
2 Brewers
3 Norfolk
4 Ecstasy
5 Tresure Island

Debbi said...

I have to say that talking to this chap (if I may say so :) ) was a bit eye-opening.

I got this from him this AM: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/small-town-dalek-controversy

Got my morning off to quite the start!

But then, there's this! https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/roundtable/time-lords

Um ...

1. the Ottoman Empire
2. brewers
3. Norfolk
4. ecstasy
5. Treasure Island