Friday 14 October 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th October, 2022.

14th October, 2022.


Yes: it’s finally Friday.

Which means … I have to pick up some medications: and put in for some more.

It’s a chore: but one with an (minor) upside.

I get to have a healthy walk.

~≈Í≈~

I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it already: but I watch the news.

In amongst the looming financial crisis?

Was this piece: which tells us how a group of scientists have grown brain cells in a lab, taught them how to play Pong, and saw the cells improve at the game.

It’s interesting to read, I know that.

From what I could gather?

Many are saying this could lead to all sorts of discoveries into the science of the brain.

Which would be good: a successful treatment — if not a cure — for Alzheimer’s would be good.

It could also lead to a lot of help for other neurological conditions.

And … ?   Some of the people the BBC News Channel talked to felt it could be extremely helpful in computer science: revealing new ways to build processors.

Personally, though?

I immediately thought of William Gibson’s Sprawl trilogy.

The second novel, Count Zero, features a computer scientist who’s invented a new form of biological computer processors: built from human cancer cells.

Additionally?   A mental image kept cropping up.

Of zombies running around, and yelling ‘Braaaaaaains.’


It struck me lab-grown brain cells would be a humane way of feeding them.

Ummm … 

~≈Í≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        14th October, 1066, saw the start of the Battle of Hastings.   In other words, the start of the Norman Conquest of where: England, Ireland or Scotland?

Q2)        The SS Mohegan sank on 14th October, 1898: off of the Lizard Peninsular.   The Peninsular is where: Cornwall, Devon or Wexford?

Q3)        14th October is Defenders Day. Where: Belorus, Ukraine or Romania?

Q4)        14th October is World Standards Day.   The International Organization for Standardization is also known as what: the ISO, OSI or SIO?

Q5)        Finally … ?   14th October, 1960, saw the birth of Steve Cram.   He’s one of the UK’s Olympic what: heavyweight boxers, middle distance runners or sprinters?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The first cornerstone of the White House was laid on 13th October.   13th October of which year: 1792, 1793 or 1794?
A1)        1792.

Q2)        Who — in 1800 — was the first President to live in the White House: George Washington, John Adams or Thomas Jefferson?
A2)        John Adams.

Q3)        The President’s office is in the West Wing of the White House.   What is that office: oblong, oval or octagonal?
A3)        Oval.   (The Oblong Office is the workplace of Lord Vetinari, the Patrician of Ankh Morpork.   Charles Dance knows a lot more about him that I do.)

Q4)        The Presidential Emergency Operations Centre is under the White House’s what: East Wing, West Wing or Executive Residence?
A4)        The East Wing.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The White House is at 1600, where: Pennsylvania Avenue, New York Road or Tucson Street?
A5)        Pennsylvania Avenue.
Here’s a thought … 
“When you’re fit, you’re fit.”
Steve Cram, born 14th October, 1960.
And some music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*         Hello, Mum!

        Blast!   I knew there was something I forgot to put in the spaghetti sauce, Olga.   And I’ve had some garlic for a few days!   Arrrggghhh!   Oh, well, it means I’ve more for next time.
        That original version of Dorian Grey is great: you can see why Disney hired George Sanders for Shere Khan, can’t you?
        I get that sort of earworm, as well: although I woke with with Trojan Horse, again!   Playing the Smurf Song helped, there.
        I get the impression the Mandela effect is a type of mass false memory, Olga.   And not necessarily one limited to deaths.   I posted a clip from The Silence of The Lambs to YouTube, many years ago: Clarice Starling and Dr Lector’s first meeting.   A huge amount of the comments were about the Effect: all of them saying ‘that’s not the scene I remember^!’   I was getting sick of them, by the time I took the clip down!

‡        I’m glad I could help, Debbi: obviously having a family connection helped, too.   I have to admit, I always think of a fictional restaurant called Freddy’s House of Ribs, from House of Cards, whenever I think of the White House.   It’s supposed to be nearby.
        Oh, did you see the piece about the lab grown brains cells.   I was wondering if — long term — it was any possible help in the fight against dystonia … 

^        I think the fact the movie version of the scene is slightly different to the novel’s version doesn’t help.

4 comments:

Freda said...

1 England
2 Cornwall
3 Ukraine
4 ISO
5 Middle Distance Runner

Olga said...

Q1) England

Q2) Cornwall

Q3) Ukraine

Q4) ISO

Q5) middle distance runners
The Mandela effect is interesting. I know the final scene of Kiss Me Deadly is quite notorious as well. I don't know if you've watched the movie, but the end is quite "explosive". Some people (I included) though, claim to have seen the protagonist and his secretary runny away among the flames. I did read somewhere, though, that there were two final scenes filmed, and it seems that some of the copies have the one they finally decided not to go with, but I am not sure how true that is.
I hope the walk is nice today. And yes, more garlic for next time.
As we were talking about earworms, I've had this song popping up in my head for quite a few days now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZbueAroD5c
The images aren't very good quality, but I imagine it was taped directly from TV and it is a pretty old programme at that. Peret, the singer, was from Barcelona, a gypsy, and he was famously the creator, with a few others, of "la rumba catalana". He also went to Eurovision years back. (1974. I just checked). The song is about a guy who got paid a debt (well, or some money), and decided to celebrate going on a bender. His family and the people who knew him, when they saw he didn't go back home, thought he was dead. But, as the song says... "No estaba muerto, estaba de parranda"

Debbi said...

I was just thinking that. Hoping that maybe their work in neurology would take them there. It's a hopeful thought.

1. England
2. Cornwall
3. Ukraine
4. the ISO
5. middle distance runner

Plus more book recommendations. I'll have to squeeze them in between all the books I've been getting to review. :)

Barely leaves one time to catch an episode of TV or a movie! :)

Debbi said...

You know, I never did watch "House of Cards," but I do know that the Baltimore subway system passed for the DC Metro system in the movie "No Way Out." A bit of trivia for you! :)