Tuesday 11 October 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11th October, 2022.

11th October, 2022.


Right … it’s Tuesday.

Which means it’s the day after Monday: obviously!

Which also means that I’m due in Chelmsford, today: for a meeting with my Restart case worker.

Hopefully?

She’ll have something, job wise, that’ll work out better than the recent one.

That?

Was for an outsourcing company called Capita: one that wanted to hire me for a home working job handling customer calls for Tescos.

This, after the same outsourcing company rejected me for their job, handling calls for PlusNet.

I’d not successfully got through their checks and vetting procedure.

If I take the Capita/Tescos gig?   I’d stand a very good chance of being taken on … and then sacked after finishing the training, for failing the same checks.

Something I managed to explain to my Job Centre case worker, yesterday.   I expected problems, there: but he was surprising sympathetic.

Especially as I pointed out my Restart worker had had told me Capita were ‘… crying out for people.’

The look on his face was a picture: as both he and I knew the phrase ‘crying out for people,’ translates as ‘this company has a stupidly high staff turnover.’

We’ll just have to see what happens.

~≈Ω≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring ten out of ten, Olga on nine and Mum on eight!

The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        11th October is the Feast day of Saint Alexander Sauli. He’s a patron saint of where: Corsica, Sardinia or Cyprus?

Q2)        Surveying of one stretch of the Mason-Dixon Line finished: on 11th October, 1767.   The Terminal Point is on the borders of West Virginia and where: Pennsylvania, Maryland or Delaware?

Q3)        The Second Vatican Council started: on 11th October, 1962.   Which Church organised it: the Roman Catholic Church, the Egyptian Orthodox Church or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Q4)        The Mary Rose was raised: on 11th October, 1982.   The ship was part of which king’s navy?

Q5)        Which modern king was at the raising of the Mary Rose?

Q6)        Finally … ?   Actress, Claudia Black, was born on 11th October, 1972. She played Aeryn Sun in which science fiction series?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The Outer Space Treaty came into force.   On 10th October of which year: 1965, 1967 or 1969?
A1)        1967.

Q2)        Copies were or are kept in the UK, the USSR, and where else: the USA, China or Brazil?
A2)        The USA.

Q3)        Three of the countries who’ve signed the treaty, have sent crewed spaceships into space.   Name one of them.
A3)        The USA, China and Russia.

Q4)        One of those nations astronauts into space.   The second sends cosmonauts.   The third sends whom?
A4)        Taikonauts: that’s the name for Chinese astronauts.

Q5)        Space is generally defined as the region beyond Earth’s what: atmosphere, solar system or orbit?
A5)        Atmosphere.

Q6)        Space is not empty.   In other words, it’s a near perfect what: vacuum, diamond or life form?
A6)        Vacuum.

Q7)        Jose Chung’s ‘From Outer Space’ is an episode of which show: Dr Who, The X-Files or Space: 1999?
A7)        The X-Files.

Q8)        Telstar was launched into space in 1962.   The song, Telstar, was released by a British band called what: The Tornados, Monsoon or Rory Storm and the Hurricanes?
A8)        The Tornados.

Q9)        Iain M. Banks’ Culture novels, the Star Wars movies and Flash Gordon serials, are all examples of what: space opera, space operetta or space musicals?
A9)        Space Opera.   (Saying that?   There’s good arguments that define Star Wars as fantasy.   After all, it sees two wizards fighting each other with magic swords.)

Q10)        Finally … ?   The ISS, Tiangong-1 and Skylab, are or were space … what?
A10)        Space stations.
Here’s a thought … 
“Honestly, what planet do these people live on? And why isn’t it farther away?”
On the Bright Side, I’m Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God, Louise Rennison, 11 October 1951 – 29 February 2016.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        It was a Taikonaut, Olga.   It’s an Anglicised version of the Chinese term, hángtiānyuán (航天员).   Apparently, it translates as ‘heaven navigator.’
        It struck me as obvious, after a day or two.   Especially given the main character was going through rehab at the time.   She’s criticised for dating whilst in a 12-step group, as well: which is genuine.   From what I’ve seen, it’s felt unwise, as it can distract us from recovery.   I think someone on the movie’s done their research.
        Yesterday went well enough: my case worker seems sympathetic.   And I managed to help Jude out telling him a few keyboard shortcuts.   They’ve been using Macs in their Music technology classes.   I hope they stick!

        Hello, Mum!

        Yeah, sorry, Debbi!   There’s a couple more coming, as well: on the 18th and 26th.   The latter is Essex Day: I think the saint may be familiar!
        If it’s any help, you’re the only person who got yesterday’s Taikonaut question.

^        I’ve got it playing on iPlayer as we speak, Trevor.   Ms Tan’s team really don’t know much about John Waters movies, do they?   I mean, come on, even I knew about Divine, for crying out loud!
        Oh, looks like St Andrews won this first round match.   I think they won last year, didn’t they … ?   No, sorry, that was Imperial … 

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 Corsica
2 Delaware
3 Roman Catholic
4 King Henry 8th
5 King Charles 3rd
6 Stargate SG 1

Olga said...

Q1) Corsica

Q2) Pennsylvania

Q3) The Roman Catholic Church

Q4) Henry VIII

Q5) Charles III (who wasn’t a king then. It sounds like a bit of a disaster, but...)
I guess this is the job you were talking about, the one you refused to send the rest of the documents until you had passed the tests... I see now.
Fingers crossed for Jude. I am sure he'll remember them if he uses them often. I am forever checking out shortcuts but don't remember many of them. Of course, I'm also much older than he is.
The thing with the Taikonaut was that I somehow missed the bit about "signing" countries, and I thought you were only talking about the three first countries who had been involved in it (UK, USA and USSR), and, because the UK had not sent their own astronauts to space, I was a bit confused.
Good luck with your meeting today.

Debbi said...

Wow! I had no idea about the new King Charles III.

1. Corsica
2. Pennsylvania
3. the Roman Catholic Church
4. Henry VIII
5. King Charles III
6. Farscape