Saturday 29 October 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29-10-2022 — The United Republic.

29th October, 2022.


Yay!   I have money.

Which doesn’t sound that exciting, now I think of it.

But, just so you know?

I signed up — a couple of years ago — for a set of surveys run by YouGov.com.

You do surveys, and earn points.

And earn cash, once you’ve earned enough points.

I did, yesterday: and now have money in the bank.

Which is handy.

My last batch of spaghetti wasn’t very good: so I think I’m due a chilli … 

~≈🌶≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        29th October, 1964, saw the United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar, rename itself.   As the United Republic of what?

Q2)        What’s the (new) Republic’s capital city: Arusha, Dodoma or Dar es Salaam?

Q3)        The (new) Republic’s got one official language.   What is it: Swahili, Sukuma or Sambaa?

Q4)        What’s the (new) Republic’s currency: the pound, shilling or denarius?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Dying in the Sun was the country’s first what, in English: novel, hit single or soap opera?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Gulliver’s Travels was originally published.   On 28th October of which year: 1724, 1726 or 1728?
A1)        1726.

Q2)        Who wrote Gulliver’s Travels: Jonathan Swift, Bram Stoker or William Shakespeare?
A2)        Jonathan Swift.

Q3)        Who’s the main character: Samuel Gulliver, Lemuel Gulliver or Mustafa Gulliver?
A3)        Lemuel Gulliver.

Q4)        In Pt One of the book, Gulliver is washed up on the shores of where: Lilliput, Blefuscu or Laputa?
A4)        Lilliput.

Q5)        Finally … ?   In the last part of Gulliver’s Travels, Gulliver meets a race of talking what: horses, ducks or toads?
A5)        Horses.
Here’s a motto … 
“Uhuru na Umoja.”
“Freedom and Unity.”
The Republic’s motto.
And an enormous clue!


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

        Oh, of course, yes: I keep forgetting it’s All Saints Day, Olga.   And I think I read about that tradition: believe it or not, in one of Anne Rice’s vampire novels.   Apparently it was practised in New Orleans for many years.
        If it’s any help … ?   I’ve not read Gulliver’s Travels, either: it just never appealed.   Animal Farm, on the other hand … ?   Is a must read … as and when you feel the mood.   (Terry Pratchett always used to complain about breeze-block sized novels.   By contrast, Animal Farm is nice and thin.   It’s a book-sized book.)
        Jude’s definitely a fan of Prime.   It doesn’t help hurt that it’s made by his favourite YouTuber.   Which is probably what’s driving the prices up.   I do know it’s exclusive to KSI’s site: and Aldi, in the UK.   I don’t know where you’d find it in Spain.   (Do you remember the frenzy around the Cabbage Patch Kids?   It’s the Cabbage Patch Kids all over again, it seems.)

        Ah-h!   It’s Wilde’s Law, again, Debbi: two countries separated by a common language!   What the US calls a public school would be what we call a state school.   A public school, here, is open to any member of the public … who can afford the fee.   A private school’s privately run, and usually selective …  and also charges fees!
        Talking of Orwell, Debbi?   Did I mention I’m reading The Road to Wigan Pier?   I’m finding it a little tougher going than his other work: having new glasses helps, though.

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Tanzania

Q2) Dodoma

Q3) Swahili

Q4) shilling

Q5) novel
Aldi? Well, I'll have to check if they have it in the Aldis here, just out of curiosity. (There weren't many when I came here, but they are spreading around now). I did like Gulliver's Travels, but I guess you have to be in the mood for a classic and be prepared fro the different style of writing. I've just finished reading a book of short stories by George Saunders, Liberation Day, and he's impressively good. I read his Lincoln in the Bardo, which was his first novel, but he had a long reputation for his short-stories already.
I am not sure if you've ever read The Great Gatsby, but talking about short books, that is one. Beautifully written.
I hope you enjoy the chilly. Oh, and I've noticed that the PM has already dropped the idea of the fees for missed NHS appointments. Not one not for turning either, then.

Nik Nak said...

Almost forgot, Olga: the PM’s withdrawn the idea of a charge for missed appointments

Freda said...

1 United Republic of Tanzania
2 Zanzibar City
3 Swahilli
4 Shilling
5 Soap Opera

Debbi said...

These cultural differences fascinate me. I should've been an anthropologist. :)

1. Tanzania
2. Dodoma
3. Swahili
4. the shilling
5. novel