Monday 17 October 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17th October 2022.

17th October, 2022.


Yes: it’s Monday.

And you’d think mentioning Monday Monday in the introduction would trigger a nice pleasant earworm.

From the Mamas and the Papas.

Nope!

I got Mama Cass’ Dream a Little Dream of Me!


Why?   I don’t know, but it’s a good tune!

~≈∑≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The first Open was held on 17th October, 1860: in Prestwick, Scotland.   The Open is a tournament in which sport: tennis, golf or snooker?

Q2)        17th October is Digital Society Day.   Where: China, India or Brazil?

Q3)        IMDb was founded: on 17th October, 1990.   IMDb stands for Internet Movie what?

Q4)        SN 1604 was first observed: on 17th October, 1604.   By whom: Kepler, Newton or Einstein?

Q5)        Finally … ?   17th October, 1989, saw an earthquake strike which US city: New York, Chicago or San Francisco?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        16th October is World Food Day.   It’s been marked since which year of the 1980s?
A1)        1981.
Q2)        It’s organised by the FAO: the Food and what Organization … ?
A2)        Agriculture.

Q3)        The day is supposed to mark what: food safety, food security or food sugars?
A3)        Food security.

Q4)        Humanity can sense five different food tastes.   Sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness … and which ‘U’?
A4)        Umami.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Which French ‘C’ describes a country’s cooking?
A5)        Cuisine.
Here’s a thought … 
“Men fell in love with Gilda, but they wake up with me.”
Rita Hayworth, October 17, 1918 – May 14, 1987.
And a album: first released on 17th October, 1980 …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

†        I gave you the point in the end, Olga.   Yes, as far as I could find out, it was established in 1979: but, as far as I could see, the first celebration was the first themed one in 1981.
        Adventure wise … ?   At least I know where to go, when the next voucher turns up!
        I seem to be picking tunes.   Making Movies is one hell of an album.   Les Boys, the last track?   Is possibly the only oompah rock song about a gay cabaret I’ve ever heard.   It’s been floating around as an earworm since I bought the CD, back in the 1980s.


‡        It’s like I’ve always said, Debbi: it’s possibly the most cheerful thing McCartney wrote … until you realise what he’s singing about.   “Bang! Bang! Maxwell’s silver hammer … Came down upon her head.”
        Talking of which … ?   I saw the last episode of Inside Man, last night.   My lord, but Steven Moffat knows how to do these things!   (Tennant does a great job: but Stanley Tucci is superb as Jefferson Greif!)

5 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Oh, before I forget? Tomorrow’s a 10 question set … about the BBC … 

Nik Nak said...

Oh, and NOW I’ve got Cockney Translation going through my head!

Olga said...

Q1) Golf

Q2) India

Q3) Database

Q4) Kepler

Q5) San Francisco
Keep the songs coming, Paul. I was wondering, when you mentioned albums, what will many of the young people who only seem to stream individual songs rather than albums make of those in the future. Some of them hang so well together that I think something gets lost if we only listen to individual songs, but, well, it's the way of things, I guess.
A ten set question on the BBC I don't mind. It's always been there, and, mostly, done some good work. I hope it carries on, but...

Freda said...

1 Golf
2 India
3 Database
4 Kepler
5 San Francisco

Debbi said...

So much great music! :) I'm reviewing a 2014 movie this week on Thursday, A Girl Walks Home at Night. Really great movie!

1. golf
2. India
3. Database
4. Kepler
5. San Francisco (I remember that quake. It disrupted the World Series. Tim McCarver, one of the announcers, was pretty shaken up by it, as I recall.)