Thursday 20 October 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20-10-2022 — World Osteoporosis Day.

20th October, 2022.


Yep: I’m up, early, again.

For the second time this week.

Only this time?   I’ve actually double checked my dates.

And I definitely have a weight management group call, today!

I’ve got the email, already, thanking you … !

~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        20th October is World Osteoporosis Day.   Osteoporosis is a disease of the what: kidneys, blood or bones?

Q2)        The day was launched in which year of the 1990s: 1995, 1996 or 1997?

Q3)        It’s felt that taking what can help lower your risk of osteoporosis: Vitamin D, Vitamin E or Vitamin F?

Q4)        What’s said to cause serious consequences of osteoporosis: hip fractures, blood loss or pollution?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Pathologist, Jean Lobstein, coined the term, ‘osteoporosis.’   Where was he from: France, Germany or Spain?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        19th October, 1839, saw the first publication of Bradshaw’s.   The Bradshaw’s guide was a very extensive guide to what: railway time tables, ports or exchange rates?.
A1)        Railway time tables.

Q2)        19th October, 1960, saw the USA impose a trade embargo.   On which Caribbean nation: Cuba, Dominica or Grenada?
A2)        Cuba.

Q3)        19th October is Saint Frideswide’s Day.   She’s the patron saint of where: Cambridge, Oxford or Bristol?
A3)        Oxford.

Q4)        Michael Gambon was born on 19th October, 1940.   He played Philip Marlow in which Dennis Potter series?
A4)        The Singing Detective.

Q5)        Finally … ?   19th October, 2012, several several people killed by a car bomb.   Where: Beirut, Tripoli or Sidon?
A5)        Beirut.
Here’s a quote … 
“Osteoporosis may also occur due to a number of diseases or treatments, including alcoholism, anorexia, hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, and surgical removal of the ovaries.”
From the Wikipedia page on the condition.
And a video…


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

        They couriered AA batteries to you, Olga?   And the shop phoned to offer an appointment they didn’t have?   I’m saying nothing.   Just remind me to watch Brazil, again!

        I’ve not seen it, Debbi … but I get the impression the Robert Downey Jr version isn’t a patch on the original.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The bones

Q2) 1996

Q3) Vitamin D (although I’ve been following this, and new studies don’t seem to support the idea).

Q4) What’s said to cause serious consequences of osteoporosis: hip fractures, blood loss or pollution? I am not sure about the meaning of he question as it is phrased (it’s probably me, though), although I will go with one of the serious consequences of osteoporosis and say hip fractures (a hip fracture can cause a lot of blood loss as well, especially in the elderly and if it goes undetected)

Q5) German (well, he was a German-born French pathologist, so take your pick!)
Yes, they definitely did send AA batteries. I am reading a sci-fi book about the end of the world (well, about some aliens trying to implant a new world order through a secret society), and I can't help but wonder. (The plot and the ideas in the book are interesting enough, although the writing is quite pedestrian, to be honest, but I haven't finished it yet and I'm reading it for a review. A good editor might have helped matters).
I hope your meeting goes well today.

Freda said...

1 Bones
2 1997
3 Vitamin D
4 Hip fractures
5 Germany

Debbi said...

Nope. Not nearly as good.

That show is where I first saw Michael Gambon.

1. bones
2. 1996
3. Vitamin D
4. hip fractures
5. Germany

I mention Terry Pratchett on one of my blogs for Friday. :)