Sunday 19 July 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19th July, 2020

19th July, 2020.


Yes: I’ve officially had toast for breakfast.

And a bowl of musli.

Frankly?

I might just just have to swap the musli for porridge: I usually don’t end up feeling so hungry.

~≈†≈~

Oh, JUST so you know … ?

I caught a movie, last night: the 2020 Netflix film that is The Old Guard.

It’s possibly worth watching … but please bear in mind I gave it one star for a reason … !


~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 19th July, 64AD saw the start of the Great Fire of Rome: in the evening   Who blamed the Christian inhabitants of Rome?
Q2) George 4th was crowned on 19th July, 1821.   He was king of the UK … and where else … ?
Q3) 19th July, 2019, saw the death of actor, Rutger Hauer.   In which film did he play Erik Lanshof?
Q4) 19th July, 1947, saw the birth of Queen guitarist, Brian May.   What’s the name of his hand built electric guitar?
Q5) Finally … ?   19th July, 1940, saw the UK’s Army form what: The Intelligence Corp, Army Catering Corp or Signals Corp?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 18th July, 2013, saw which US city file for bankruptcy?
A1) Detroit.
Q2) 18th July, 1938, saw the birth of Dutch director, Paul Verhoeven.   In which of Paul Verhoeven films, did Arnold Schwarzenegger play Douglas Quaid?
Q3) 18th July, 1334, saw the Bishop of Florence bless the foundation stone of Florence Cathedral’s bell tower.   Which Italian artist designed the Bell Tower?
A3) Giotto di Bondone: usually known as Giotto.
Q4) Kyoto Animation’s Studio 1 burnt down: on 18th July, 2019.   Studio and fire were in which country?
A4) Japan.
Q5) Finally … ?   18th July, 1895, saw the birth of Machine Gun Kelly.   He was born in which Tennessee city?
A5) Memphis.
Here’s a thought …
“I don’t know what the appeal is. I can see I’ve got blue eyes and I don’t look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can’t understand the fuss.”
Rutger Hauer, 23 January 1944 – 19 July 2019.
And a song penned by Brian May …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I would LOVE to visit Spain, Olga: I wouldn’t mind looking in on Baltimore, either!   Frankly, it al depends on the cash!   Ain’t that always the way?
Lockdown seems to be echoing across the continent, I know that.   It’s easing somewhat, in the UK: to the point where Essex Library service has announced that — in some of the libraries — it’s going to start allowing people to use some of the computers.   I suspect that’s because people have been asking … rather than any effort of mine.   Still, it’s something I can mention, tomorrow: it’ll b e something of a talking point … 
As a final point … ?   I’m not supposed it’s bars, and gatherings that seem to be causing issues: there’s quite a few pubs that have had to close back down again … !

†        It looks like it, Debbi!   Now … If we can persuade him to do an episode of Who Do You Think You Are?

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Emperor Nero
Q2) Hanover (and Ireland).
Q3) Soldier of Orange (Oh, crap! I missed this as well. I was on holiday with poor TV reception and limited access to internet and it seems I missed quite a bit. A shame. Although I haven’t watched many of his movies, some of his performances are among my favourites).
Q4) Red Special
Q5) The Intelligence Corp
I know what you mean about money. It's difficult to know what all this is going to do to prices of travel in general, because everybody will have to adjust, and some airlines and hotels won't survive, but they will also be eager to recover.
I think bars vary a lot. Some are very good at keeping control, and some have also closed down if they saw people didn't respect the recommendations, but others are not so health-conscious. A lot of the infections seem to come from family and friends' gatherings, and I think it would be very difficult to police, but I am suspicious of the role alcohol might be playing in all this (and of course, people keep removing their masks to smoke as well).
They're being very critical of the tracing systems, but to tell you the truth, I don't see how that would work unless you had tested the population massively and you had very low numbers of people infected. If you have somebody testing positive at a restaurant, for example, and you can track everybody and ask them to remain home and test them (even if they all follow the advice, which I doubt), that one person caught the illness elsewhere. Where? The person who infected him or her has probably infected many others, and if that person was not aware, will continue to do so. Can you go back several days and track everybody that person had been in contact with? How would you establish cause and effect? (Did that person infect others before being aware of it, or was one of those other people the source of his infection)? I think you'd need a country totally locked to the outside world and where everybody had had the test (or a very significant proportion of the population).
On the other hand, I've read an article today about a study in the UK where they've managed to differentiate different presentations of the virus that seem to predict the people who are more likely to end up developing a serious illness. That could prove very useful.
Take care and good luck with the radio interview tomorrow.

Debbi said...

Hmm. Bill probably would have had an interest in that! :) Mr. Matrilineal Descents from Royalty Guy.

1. Nero
2. Hanover
3. Soldier of Orange
4. the Red Special
5. The Intelligence Corps