Saturday 18 July 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th July, 2020.

18th July, 2020.


It looks like it’s a definite.

I have an interview, on Monday.

Not for a job … but for Phoenix FM, Brentwood’s local radio station.

It should go live on their website, the day after, and on air on Thursday.

Frankly?

I’m hoping it goes well.

~≈¥≈~

Did you hear about recent Twitter hack?   One-hundred and thirty celebrity accounts were hacked as a result of social engineering — a con, in other words — and promoted a bitcoin scam.

You sent whoever it was $1000 dollars worth of bitcoin: they’d send you $2000’s worth back*.

One noticeably absent hackee?

Was Donald Trump.

I’d love to have see the bloody idiot caught up in it.

But … ?

I suspect his account’s heavily protected.

Equally?

I suspect eighty-three million people handing over one thousand dollars to a scammer … ?

Well … 

There’d be hell to pay.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Debbi‡  and newcomer, Henri^, putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 18th July, 2013, saw which US city file for bankruptcy?
Q2) 18th July, 1938, saw the birth of Dutch director, Paul Verhoeven.   In which of Paul Verhoeven film did Arnold Schwarzenegger play Douglas Quaid?
Q3) 18th July, 1334, saw the Bishop of Florence bless the foundation stone of Florence Cathedral’s bell tower.   Which Italian artist designed the Bell Tower?
Q4) Kyoto Animation’s Studio 1 burnt down: on 18th July, 2019.   Studio and fire were in which country?
Q5) Finally … ?   18th July, 1895, saw the birth of Machine Gun Kelly.   He was born in which Tennessee city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 17th July saw the birth of the late Tim Brooke Taylor.   In which year?
A1) 1940.
Q2) He died this year: from complications of what?
A2) COVID-19.
Q3) Between 1979 and 1982, Tim was Rector of which Scottish University?
Q4) He wrote for, and performed in, a UK comedy series: alongside Bill Oddie and Graeme Garden.   Which comedy series?   (Just so you know?   I’m not talking about Bananaman.)
Q5) Finally … ?   For many years, Time was a panellist on I’m Sorry I Haven’t a … what?
A5) I’m Sorry, I haven’t a Clue.
Here’s a thought …
“The sooner we admit our capacity for evil the less apt we are to destroy each other.”
Paul Verhoeven, born 18th July, 1938.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Which is stupid, when you think about it.   If you give Bill Gates $1000, he then gives you $2000.   Why?   He could just give you $1000.

†        Hmm … looks like I’ll be having to let the BBC know they’ve made a mistake, Olgaª!   It just goes to show, they’re not always right!   At ANY rate, I’ll know to check next time.
It sounds like you literally living in a historian’s dream area!   The best I can still do … ?   Is the Peasants Revolt!   Saying that … ?   Brentwood does have a museum: just up the road from me: I shoaled look in on that.   And I know the name comes from the older Burntwood: we had a lot of charcoal burners, at one point.
House prices always amaze me.   I’d not be able to afford to buy mine, without help, as it’s so near the station.   A buyer might be able to get a discount, though: the mobile phone coverage is dreadful … !
Oh … The interview’s happening on Monday … 

‡        I’ve just had a look at Gordy’s Wikipedia entry, Debbiª.   Turns out he was offered a job at Lincoln … but didn’t take it.   And it turns out he’s a distant relative of Jimmy Carter’s!   It seems Gordy’s great-grandfather was a plantation owner who’s had children with a (black) slave woman: and with his legitimate wife.
I’ve got a nasty suspicion that ‘had children with’ covers a lot of territory.   If US plantations were anything like British ones in the Caribbean, there’s was a lot of non-consensual sex going on …

^        Welcome aboard, Henri: I hope you’d like to stick around!   Yes, I’m OK with out a social media account.   Although, if you have a blog, YouTube channel or personal page you’d like to share, feel free!

ª        Sorry about the score, by the way: but, strictly, the show’s called I’m Sorry, I Haven’t a Clue.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Detroit
Q2) Total Recall
Q3) Giotto di Bondone (Giotto for his friends)
Q4) Japan (I completely missed this, but I was on holiday already, I think, and with little access to news there).
Q5) Memphis
Oh, good luck with the interview. I'm sure it will be fab. You know I'm a fan of local radio so... Well, you read my Tweet, so you know what's going on here. Because it's at the level of the Catalan government, they cannot force people to stay home, but they are recommending it and they've banned groups of more than ten people, and places like theatres, gyms, cinemas, (not libraries)... It looks likely that the festa major (the neighbourhood big fete, usually at the end of August) will be cancelled, although we won't know for certain until next week. I'll phone the language school on Monday to make sure, but I hope the interview still goes ahead, as going to work is not a problem.
There are other places in Spain with rising numbers of infections, so I wouldn't be surprised if the central government ends up locking up at least parts of the population. Most of the infections seem to come from family events and group meetings, celebrations, and young people getting infected and then spreading it around to others in the same household. I think if they didn't sell alcohol, that makes people disinhibited and they forget about safety distance, masks and everything, things might work better, but that's not going to happen. (Taxes are far too handy).
I hope at some point in the future you might be able to come and visit. Yes, there is a lot of history around, and quite diverse. One is never done learning!

Debbi said...

So I got it right then. :)

1. Detroit
2. Total Recall
3. Giotto
4. Japan
5. Memphis