Monday 20 July 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 20-7-2020: Alexander the Great

20th July, 2020


Right … I have to admit it: I’m nervous.

I’ve a radio interview, today: at twelve, for the local radio station.

Have I done job interviews?   Yes: it doesn’t stop me being nervous about them, but yes, I’ve done them.

This?

This, on the other hand, is going to be a bit different.

It’s going to get broadcast, at some point … !

~≈¥≈~

They’re actually phoning me on my landline.

Which is nice.

Remember the ongoing issue with my O2 mobile?

The local mast that had gone down?

We HAD been told  it would be back, today, by 8pm.

I’ve JUST check O2’s site.

We’re now going to get updated by Frida, 31st July, this year.

I’m not going to swear.

Much … 


~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Alexander the Great was born: on 20th July of which year?
Q2) Alexander was king of where: Arcadia, Macedonia or the Peloponnese?
Q3) Egypt’s second largest city is named after Alexander.   What’s it called?
Q4) Alexander’s said to have solved the Gordian … what?
Q5) Finally … ?  Alexander died in which ancient city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 19th July, 64AD saw the start of the Great Fire of Rome: in the evening   Who blamed the Christian inhabitants of Rome?
A1) The then Emperor, Nero.
Q2) George 4th was crowned on 19th July, 1821.   He was king of the UK … and where else … ?
A2) Hanover.
Q3) 19th July, 2019, saw the death of actor, Rutger Hauer.   In which film did he play Erik Lanshof?
A3) Soldier of Orange: also known as Survival Run.
Q4) 19th July, 1947, saw the birth of Queen guitarist, Brian May.   What’s the name of his hand built electric guitar?
A4) The Red Special.   (As I recall?   The thing’s got three single-coiled pickups: wired up so two can be used as humbucker or single-coiled pick-ups, or be turned off completely.   You can also have all three on at a time.   Unlike most three pickup guitars: which only let you use a maximum of two, adjacent, pickups at a time.   The thing’s got a wider tonal palette than many guitars.   The fact Brian’s a good guitarist, helps.)
Q5) Finally … ?   19th July, 1940, saw the UK’s Army form what: The Intelligence Corp, Army Catering Corp or Signals Corp?
Here’s a thought …
“There is nothing impossible to him who will try.”
Alexander the Great.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, you’re right: we’ve got redundancies hitting airlines here, Olga!   I’m guessing Hayes Travel, the company that took over Thomas Cook, when that collapsed?   Are going to be having issues: their Brentwood Branch has only just reopened!
I don’t think I’d be suspicious of alcohol’s role, either: I’d say it’s role is a certainty!   Add the amount of pole I’ve seen with masks off, and cigarettes on the go … ?
Well … we’re a healthy bunch … 
And I suspect you’re right about the testing, as well: I’m deferring to the qualified Doctor!   I do know another issue with the various tracing methods have cropped up.   It’s seems the NHS system has been violating various privacy laws, ever since it started.   Why am I not surprised … ?

†        It sounds like Bill was an interesting chap, Debbi!   Either way?   The show, and genealogy, are fascinating.   Apparently, there’s a US version of Who Do You Think You Are? It seems Lisa Kudrow did an episode!   I think we can avoid Smelly Cat, can’t we?

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 356 BC
Q2) Macedonia (Macedon)
Q3) Alexandria (I’ve visited it three times. My friend Iman is from Alexandria and has an apartment there. I’m sure I’ll visit at some point in the future again, hopefully).
Q4) Knot
Q5) Finally … ? Alexander died in which ancient city? Babylon
Good luck for the interview today. I'm sure you'll be fabulous. I have mine at the same time (well, not really due to time differences). I'll report tomorrow. (My gut feeling is that there won't be much to report, but one never knows).
Keep safe!

Debbi said...

Bill was definitely an interesting chap, to say the least. :)

You and he would have made an interesting pair. Or him and Trevor! OMG! They would have had loads to discuss, since Bill handled royal genealogy and worked as a computer geek for the Library of Congress. :)

1. 356 BC
2. Macedonia
3. Alexandria
4. Knot
5. Babylon