Thursday 23 July 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23-7-2020: Other Worlds

23rd July, 2020


Yes … 

Stuff is — to coin a phrase — happening … 

Ish … 

Um … 

Right at the moment?

It’s a sweaty Thursday morning, and the interview the local station did with me, gets broadcast just after nine: you can listen live, here.

You can also listen to it, here: I owe PhoenixFM a big thank, and Olga, as well!

Whilst hoping that I don’t sound like a gibbering idiot.   Whilst wondering why I was going to write gibbering elephant.


~≈®≈~

There’s something else … 

I’ve been signed up for a Work and Health programme by the Job Centre: run by a charity called the Shaw Trust.

My case worker’s a youngish chap who sounds keen to do well for me.

I’ve only got one minor complaint, so far.

They’ve asked if I’d like to sign up for one of a customer accounts: so I can access various resources.

The problem with that … ?


Is that you can only sign in with a Microsoft email: Microsoft’s equivalent to a Gmail account.

I don’t have one: as they only get handed out, these day … to people who buy a PC.

I’ve got three Macs, and an Android phone.

My case worker’s already admitted others have the same sort of issue: as many of their clients only have smart phones — Android or iOS — which also don’t have MS email accounts.

They’d not be able to use this.

I’m able to use it … if I sign up for a Hotmail account.

I’m not planning to.

I’m juggling three email addresses as it is, so having an extra one, purely for this one use?

When so many other digital services let you sign in with a pre-existing Gmail, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, hell, even your AppleID?

Granted, I know most charities are on a budget.

But?

Just because a charity can’t offer multiple options, means having to get an extra email account, just for this one use.

That’s pointless.

Understandably?

I’ve complained to my case worker.

If that doesn’t help, we’ll have to see what happens.

~≈®≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Kepler-452b was discovered: on 23rd July of which year?
Q2) It’s what: a planet, a black hole or a supernova?
Q3) It’s orbiting Kepler-452.   Kepler-452 is a what: yellow dwarf, red giant or super giant?
Q4) Both Kepler-452b and Kepler-452 are in which constellation: Aquarius, Cygnus or Eridanus?
Q5) Finally … ?   Kepler-452b was spotted by which telescope … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 22nd July is the Feast of Mary Magdalene.   She’s the patron saint of whom: boxers, actors or tanners?
A1) Tanners.   (She’s also the patron saint of penitent sinners.)
Q2) 22nd July, 1992, saw the birth of singer, Selena Gomez.   She’s, technically, a what: contralto, mezzo-soprano or soprano?
A2) A mezzo-soprano.
Q3) 22nd July is also the feast day of Saint Joseph of Tiberias.   He’s also known as Joseph of where: Palestine, Rome or Philadelphia?
A3) Palestine.
Q4) John Dillinger was shot by the FBI: on 22nd July, 1934.   Outside a cinema in which US city?
A4) Chicago.
Q5) Finally?   22nd July, 1812, saw British forces defeat a French Army: in the Battle of Salamanca.   Who led the UK’s forces?
A5) Arthur Wellesley: otherwise known as the 1st Duke of Wellington.
Here’s a thought …
“It is the first potentially rocky super-Earth planet discovered orbiting within the habitable zone of a star very similar to the Sun.”
From the Wikipedia entry on Kepler 452b.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Ha!   The day a politician knows if they’re coming or going, Olga, will be a cold day in hell!   At any rate … ?   I’ve another article on the go: which will hopefully go down well.   Depending on what people think about the High Street.   That’s possibly a good thing.
Oh, BOY … !   Spain’s tax system sounds positively Brazil like!   I’m assuming you’re keeping flies away from the printer?
And yes … word of mouth helps … !

†        Cheers, Debbi!   I’ve got started on the next piece.   I’m intent on covering the High Street, but felt an opening that tells people what a blog actually is, would be an idea.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 2015
Q2) A planet
Q3) A yellow dwarf
Q4) Cygnus
Q5) NASA’s Kepler telescope
Here is the link to your interview. It's great and I left a comment. I look forward to your future posts.
https://www.phoenixfm.com/2020/07/23/paul-downie-blogger-interview/
Brazil like for the whole of the bureaucratic system here is fitting. Actually, Monty Python would be a welcome breath of sanity if they came into power here.
I hope they can sort out the problem with the hotmail account. Hotmail was my first ever email account, even before I had my own computer, and I've kept with them. You're right, there should be other options, but I've experienced similar difficulties with Google Drive, for instance. I guess that's the way to hook people on.

Debbi said...

Funny how some people don't know about things like blogs and tweets and ... etc. :)

1. 2015
2. a planet
3. yellow dwarf
4. Cygnus
5. the Kepler space telescope