Friday 10 July 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 10-7-2020: Tesla

10th July, 2020.


I have to admit: I’ve actually got up this morning … waiting to go back to bed.

I’ll possibly have a siesta later: if I still feel the same way.

Frankly, though … ?   I’m thinking I’ve got a touch of eyestrain coming from somewhere.

That’s what happened when you wright two quizzes, a piece on digital poverty, and Lord knows what else, all in one go!

Oy … 

~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Nikola Tesla was born on 10th July.   Of which year?
Q2) In what was then, what: the Austrian Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire or Hungary?
Q3) Smiljan, the village he was born in, is now where: Serbia, Croatia or Macedonia?
Q4) Famously, he preferred which form of electricity: alternating current or direct current?
Q5) Before starting his own company, Tesla worked for the Edison Machine Works.   In which US city?
Q6) What did he patent in 1831: the Tesla Coil, the Tesla Turbine or the Tesla tube?
Q7) Who played Tesla, in the Christopher Nolan film, The Prestige?
Q8) Nikola Tesla’s Night of Terror is an episode of which TV show?
Q9) The fictional being, Nyarlathotep, was said to have been inspired by Tesla.   Which horror writer created Nyarlathotep?
Q10) Finally … ?   Elon Musk’s Tesla Inc, make electric … what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 9th July, 2019, saw the death of actor, Freddie Jones.   He was born in which year?
A1) 1927.
Q2) In which film did he play Thufir Hawat?
A2) Dune.
Q3) The film in Q2 was directed by the director of 1980’s The Elephant Man: a film Jones also appeared in.   Who was that director?
A3) David Lynch.   (I’ve not seen it in years: Jones is an integral part of one the the best films ever made …)
Q4) In which children’s series did he play Dai the Poacher?
A4) Children of the Stones.   (It’s still a fantastic show: at least, that’s my thinking.)
Q5) Finally … ?   His last TV role was in which UK soap … ?
A5) Emmerdale.
Here’s a thought …
“’Ere many generations pass, our machinery will be driven by a power obtainable at any point of the universe.”
Nikola Tesla.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        You know, I could’ve sworn I saw that Xiaomi on O2’s shop, Olga.   Turns out it was the 7a!   For £49/€54.   A little bit different from the 8, price wise: €200/£179 … !
You know, now I come to think of it … ?   A big screen’s a good thing, I think: mine’s, what, five and a half inches?   Right on the borders of being too small!
Motor scooters?   You know, that’s a thing … Brentwood council’s closed off the High Street: to everything except buses and deliveries.   It’s causing something of a stink.   It means no disabled drivers can get there … 

†        Morning, Trevor … 

‡        It was quite something, Debbi!   At any rate, I hope the day went well … !   (Sorry it’s a ten question set, Debbi: but it IS Tesla … )

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1856
Q2) The Austrian Empire
Q3) Croatia
Q4) Alternating Current
Q5) New York
Q6) In 1891 (not 31) the Tesla Coil
Q7) David Bowie
Q8) Doctor Who
Q9) H. P. Lovecraft
Q10) Vehicles
It's proving to be a strange year. I'm not sure why exactly but I feel quite tired as well. I think it's in part the stop and start, the course... By the way, I got a call and have an interview with a language school, although it seems they work on the premise of one-to-one lessons rather than big classes. I'm not sure if anything will come out of it (and I suspect it might be very occasional work if any) but at least I guess that means my CV is interesting enough to get people to call (now the school where I did my training is back and other schools are opening and it seems they are sending our CVs out). Mind you, the interview it's not until the 20th, and I'm still waiting on the official Cambridge Certificate, but something is better than nothing.
I've never been fond of siestas (sleeping during the day is a no-no for me. Even when I did on-calls and was called at night, I still found it difficult) but if it works for you...
Take care.

Debbi said...

Oh, I suppose ...

1. 1856
2. the Austrian Empire
3. Croatia
4. alternating current
5. New York City
6. the Tesla Coil (and it's 1891, not 1831--that would predate Tesla's birth)
7. David Bowie
8. Doctor Who
9. H.P. Lovecraft
10. cars