Tuesday 21 July 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21st July, 2020.

21st July, 2020.


Wouldn’t you know it … ?

The radio interview’s been paused: as Phoenix were having some sort of issue!

Well, I say paused … maybe postponed is the word: postponed until today.

At twelve.

Wish me luck, I think I’m going to need it.

Especially given it won’t be the only one today: I’ve the initial interview with the Work and Health programme, today … 

It’s a busy morning!

Busy enough that an old friend’s decided to earworm through my head … 


~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Christopher Ewart-Biggs, the UK’s Ambassador to Ireland, was killed on 21st July, 1976.   By whom?
Q2) 21st July, 1982, saw the HMS Hermes arrive back in the UK.   Art had been fighting in what: the Battle of the Atlantic, the Falklands War or the War of Jenkins Ear?
Q3) 21st July, 1979, saw Jay Silverheels become the first Native American to earn a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.   He was a member of which Native peoples: the Lakota, Cheyenne or Mohawk?
Q4) 21st July, 2008, saw Ram Baran Yadav named as president of where?
Q5) Finally … ?   21st July, 1948, saw the birth of Yusuf Islam: also known as Cat Stevens.   In which year did he convert to Islam … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Alexander the Great was born: on 20th July of which year?
A1) 356BC.
Q2) Alexander was king of where: Arcadia, Macedonia or the Peloponnese?
A2) Macedonia: also called Macedon.
Q3) Egypt’s second largest city is named after Alexander.   What’s it called?
Q4) Alexander’s said to have solved the Gordian … what?
A4) The Gordian knot.
Q5) Finally … ?  Alexander died in which ancient city?
A5) Babylon.
Here’s a thought …
“It seems as if I am making a comeback but I have never really been away.”
Yusuf Islam, 21st July, 1948.
And a song: from when Yusuf was still Cat …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.


*        I hope yours Went well, Olga!   Mine’s been delayed.   Wouldn’t you know it … ‽   Hopefully, we’ll both have something to talk about!
Alexandria’s another one to visit, I know that much: mind you … so’s Cairo!
At ANY rate … ?   Here’s hoping!

†        I think you’re right, Debbi: it sounds like it could be something to watch … !   :D

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Provisional IRA
Q2) The Falklands War
Q3) The Mohawk
Q4) Nepal
Q5) 1977
Yes. I visited Cairo with my friend as well, and we stayed with her relatives. That was a pretty fascinating experience. I'm sure Cairo is fascinating nonetheless, but I know I saw it in quite a different light to a standard tourist. In some ways, Alexandria feels a bit more familiar, coming from a Mediterranean city, with the beaches and all that, while Cairo felt more Arabic (perhaps).
My interview... Well, I don't think it went badly, but my intuition was right. He was intrigued by my curriculum, for sure, although the fact that most of my teaching experience was at university and teaching literature doesn't seem to help when I'm trying to teach English as a foreign language. The idea is that he might be in touch if they need teachers in the areas of Barcelona where it would suit me (and if they think I'm a good fit) and if I was interested, then I'd go, and we'd chat some more and sign a contract. Of course, there is no guarantee when this could be (he had a pile of applications from people who'd filled their details in, although it's true that they teach all kinds of subjects, so they might not all be English teachers. He did say that English was the bulk of the business, though), or how many lessons I might ever get. He was honest enough to tell me that hardly anybody makes a living by just giving one-to-one lessons, and for most it works if you're looking for a second job or you just want to work part-time. So, although I'm not looking for something full time (I came here with the idea of being able to support my mother, and although she is quite well at the moment, she does need a hand now and then, and this is only going to increase), I'm not sure. We shall see if something else comes up. And I've discovered there is a local language school run as a cooperative. They also do translations. I might have to explore that further.
Good luck with your interview! Well, with both your interviews!

Debbi said...

It would be interesting! :)

1. the Provisional IRA
2. the Falklands War
3. Mohawk
4. Nepal
5. 1977