Sunday 26 July 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26-7-2020: Kargil Vijay Diwas.

26th June, 2020.


Oh, that’s irritating! 

I’ve got a loose tooth.

On a Sunday!

Under a still restrictive Lockdown … 

OK, granted, I’ve messaged them on Facebook.

And I can either call or phone, tomorrow.

Still … irritating sums it up … !

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Trevor† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 26th July is Kargil Vijay Diwas.   It marks the day India won a (minor) military war: against which country?
Q2) The skirmish was in which year of the 1990s?
Q3) The war took place in the Kargil District: in which K?
Q4) The skirmish took place along what’s called the Line of … what?
Q5) Finally … ?   The operation involved the both countries armies: and the Indian … what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Mozart completed his 40th Symphony on 25th July, 1788.   What key is it in: G Major, G minor or F♭ Major?
A1) G minor.   (Strictly speaking?   F♭ is actually E …)
Q2) Svetlana Savitskaya became the first woman to perform a spacewalk: on 25th July, 1984.   Which country was she from: the USA, or the USSR?
A2) The USSR.
Q3) 25th July saw Belgium, Germany and the UK, suffer peaks in the hottest European heatwave on record.   25th July of which year?
A3) 2019.
Q4) 25th July, 2007, saw Pratibha Patil sworn in: as the first female president of where?
A4) India.
Q5) Finally … ?   25th July, 1994, saw the signing of a peace treaty between Israel and Jordan.   In which city was it signed?
Here’s a thought …
Kargil Vijay Diwas, named after the successful Operation Vijay, is celebrated in India on 26 July.”
From the Wikipedia entry on Kargil Vijay Diwas.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Oh, my GOD, I wondered’s where they got the look for The Mask, Olga^!
At ANY rate … ?   The article I’m working on is about Brentwood High Street: which has been closed off to traffic, temporarily.   Frankly, disabled access is … looking iffy, let’s put it that way.   If I can mention how places like Amazon have hit the High Street, as well?   That can help.   It’s turning into something of an op-ed, I know that.
That’s definitely interesting news about the Ministry!   I do know something was happening, as the Netflix page is now officially down.   I’m assuming something’s up … !


†        This lot, Trevor^?    Interesting to see the big iron doing the rounds.   Last time I saw something that size, I was working as a cleaner for a local insurance company: I got to mop the server room over on Ongar Road.   From what I recall?   You had to use plain hot water: as the detergent we used was considered too corrosive.   Plus you had to be very careful how you mopped.   You couldn’t get water near the machinery.   The upside was that the floor dried very quickly: as the server racks put out a lot of hot air.   (Oh, strictly, the answer is still Washington: from what I can see from Olga and you have mentioned, the signing in October was the official one.   Washington was the publicity one …)
Oh, I’m glad I’m not in Linus Sebastian’s shoes!


‡        That first episode was very good, Debbi^.   And if you have a taste for Clint Eastwood Westerns, it’ll seem familiar!   (Actually it seems very noir: but what do I know?! 😀 )


^        I have to admit, today’s subject is one of the odder ones I’ve covered!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Pakistan
Q2) 1999
Q3) Kashmir
Q4) Control
Q5) Air Force
Loved the Mask, although I must confess Jim Carrey always makes me jumpy because he seems so charged and energetic that I feel exhausted by the end of his movies (well, except for Truman's Show which I love). Well, I haven't seen any recent ones though.
I have put the Mandalorian on my list (I keep seeing Baby Yoda's around and I've always had a soft spot for Yoda).
Yes, this is a pretty obscure subject. I don't think the relationship between the two countries has improved much. One of my friends, Sumi, is a lecturer at LSE, on human rights and developing countries related topics. She is from India and I remember she was doing some research on women's rights, and wanted to work in Pakistan and because she was born in India they didn't allow her to go (she has lived in the UK for many years and her two daughters were born in the UK as well). She had to find a scholar in Pakistan to gather the data for her. Probably safer that way, but still...

trev-v said...

A1 Pakistan
A2 1999
A3 Kashmir
A4 Line of control
A5 Indian Air Force

Yes I worked on Mainframes of just about every manufacturer. I started with English computer made by ICT (later ICL). Then English Electric-Leo-Marconi and then Burroughs. Finally I had over 20 years on IBM mainframes and their Midi computers the 8100 series. At Redland Roof Tiles I networked IBM 8100’s in Tile works with a IBM 4300 mainframe at the Redland main office. Great fun with your own Infranet years before the Internet.

Debbi said...

Yes, it is an odd subject. But once again, I learn more cool trivia! :)

1. Pakistan
2. 1999
3. Kashmir
4. Control
5. air force

Good luck with your tooth. Sorry to hear about that.