Friday 11 June 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11-6-2021: Gene Wilder.

11th June, 2021.


Right … it’s another day … and another dollar.

Or, at least, another dental hygienist visit.

I’m going to be spending half an hour on my back, getting my teeth polished.

Someone’s going to have fun: either me or the hygienists.

I’m just glad I get this for free.

~≈Ì≈~

I have to confess, I woke up this morning with an earworm.

And not the da DA, da DUM blues riff you’d expect after a line like ‘I woke up this morning.’

Nope.   With Heaven 17’s Crushed by the Wheel’s of Industry, banging away at full pelt.

It could’ve been worse: it could have a couple of other tunes, as well!


~≈Ì≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Trevor‡, Debbi^ and Edithª putting in their answers: with Trevor, Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on two.



Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        The late Gene Wilder was born on 11th June.   Of which year of the 1930s?

Q2)        He studied theatre at the University of Iowa.   He also studied at which theatre school: the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School or the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art?

Q3)        Gene played Dr Frederick Frankenstein in 1974’s Young Frankenstein.   Who directed Young Frankenstein?

Q4)        Gene worked with the same director in Blazing Saddles.   Who did Gene play: the Waco Kid, Billy the Kid or Billy Goat Gruff?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Start the Revolution Without Me, saw Gene demonstrating his skills at what: chess, horse riding or fencing?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        10th June is Portugal Day.   Portugal is part of which continent: Europe, North America or East Asia?
A1)        Europe.

Q2)        If you speak Portuguese, you are a what: Francophone, Lusophone, Mobilephone or Anglophone?
A2)        Lusophone.   (Francophones speak French: Anglophones speak English. Mobile phones are distracting …)

Q3)        Portugal’s flag is red and … what?
A3)        Green.

Q4)        Lisbon is Portugal’s capital city.   What’s the Portuguese name for Lisbon?
A4)        Lisboa.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Portugal Day marks the death of Luís de Camões.   He was Portugal’s best known what: poet, playwright or novelist?
A5)        Poet.
Here’s a thought … 
“So, that’s why I became an actor.   Well, anyway, my analyst says it’s better than running naked in Central Park …”
Gene Wilder.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I had wondered, Olga: somehow, it’s not surprising, given the languages are related.   At ANY rate … ?   I have to admit, I do like a train trip, it gives me a chance to eyeball some of the countryside.   There’s some nice sights between here and Harold Wood, if nowhere else.   I try not to walk about two much: I get seasick … !
Tell Little Anna I said to say ‘Buena suerte.’   Or Good Luck, at least!   Just in case Google Translate got it wrong!   And give Jordi my regards!   (We MIGHT have to introduce him to Sherlock Holmes, as well as Spock.   He’s got a thing for organised … !)


†        Hello, Mum!

‡        Yes: I got those done, yesterday, Trevor, when I got the Blogger alerts, yesterday.   Thankfully, there weren’t many: the laptop’s running Windows S, the cut down version.
Hang on … wasn’t Cut and Paste first used on the Apple Lisa … ?
Oh, trust me, those HTML tags are seriously easy.   You should see what this post look likes in full on HTML mode!


^        I think it’s from Lusitania, Debbi: the old Roman province that included modern Portugal.
Oh … you’ve got an email from WeTransfer.   THIS one … !
Oh, as an extra thought … ?   The word, posh, is supposed to be a contraction of ‘Port Out, Starboard Home’: those were supposed to be the cabins the upper classes were put on, for the trip to and from the Raj.


ª        That she was, Edith, that she was.   Did you know her first BIG hit, A-Tisket, A-Tasket, was based on a nursery rhyme … ?

5 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Oh, that’s a thought, Edith: Youtube’s just thrown an old KLF tune at me.

They did like to overdo. things!

Olga said...

Q1) 1933

Q2) the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School

Q3) Mel Brooks

Q4) The Waco Kid

Q5) Fencing
I'll pass the message on. She has nine exams next week, so she'll be busy trying to keep up. (Like all of us, her level of accuracy drops when she's tired, and the exam is on Thursday, but fingers crossed!) You're right about Jordi as well.
Interesting about posh...
There was quite a funny moment in the class yesterday, as we were reviewing a mock exam, and one of the answers called for a verb to go with sun... it was "set" and when she asked why, I told her the sun rises and sets... Sunset... And she'd never realised (or been told) the meaning of the word. I guess she'd always thought that Sunset (as in Sunset Boulevard) was just the name of a place. You'll never go to bed without learning something new!
Good luck with the trip to see the dental hygienist. It is a good feeling afterwards.

Freda said...

1 1933
2 Bristol Old Vic
3 Mel Brooks
4 Waco Kid
5 Fencing

Debbi said...

Word origins tend to fascinate me. I had no idea about "posh".

Do you guys ever use the expression "snafu"? It stands for Situation Normal All F***ed Up. Which you can interpret in more than one way! :)

1. 1933
2. the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School (aka, the Old Vic, if I'm not mistaken)
3. Mel Brooks
4. the Waco Kid
5. fencing

Got the package! Many thanks!!

Edith said...

1. 1933
2. The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts
3. Mel Brooks
4. The Waco Kid
5. Chess

https://youtu.be/JgLMztPpSic