Monday 14 June 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14-6-2021: The First Flag

14th June, 2021.


Yes!   I’m expecting a phone call!

Aren’t we always, though?

The one I’m expecting, thought, is about the recent blood tests I’ve had: ones monitoring my diabetes.

Hopefully?

My blood sugar levels will have gone down.

Now … 

Can someone remind me to look up a diabetic eye check?

I think I’m due one … 

~≈👁≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Debbi‡ and Edith^ putting in their answers: with all Olga, Debbi and Mum scoring five out of five, and Edith on 3.



Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        14th June, 1777, saw America’s (then) Congress pass the Flag Act 1777.   How many stripes did the original flag have: eleven, thirteen or fifteen?

Q2)        More to the point, how many stars did that flag have: eleven, thirteen or fifteen?

Q3)        The first flag was supposed to have been designed by whom: Barry Scott, Betsy Ross or Frank Underwood?

Q4)        The stripes are said to represent what: the original colonies, the Last Supper or the Founding Fathers?

Q5)        Finally … ?   And on the modern US flag?   There’s fifty white stars, on a blue background, in the top right hand corner.   They represent the number of what: modern US states, original US states or cheeses made in Wisconsin?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        A capsule from Japan’s Hayabusa craft returned to Earth on 13th June, 2010.   It held samples from a what: moon, asteroid or comet?
A1)        Asteroid.

Q2)        13th June is the Feast Day of Anthony of Padua.   He’s the patron saint of whom: Native Americans, New Yorkers or Maori?
A2)        Native Americans.

Q3)        The Office of Strategic Services was formed: on 13th June, 1942.   It was the forerunner to what: the FBI, BATF or the CIA … ?
A3)        The Central Intelligence Agency or CIA.

Q4)        Who was elected as Russian president: on 13th June, 1991?
A4)        Boris Yeltsin.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Ludwig 2nd died on 13th June, 1886.   He was king of where: Hanover, Bavaria or Prussia?
A5)        Bavaria.
Here’s a thought … 
“The Flag Acts are three laws that sought to define the design of the flag of the United States.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the Flag Acts.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        That doesn’t surprise me, somehow, Olga.   I’ve always had the impression that people learning English as a second language, tend to be better speakers of it.   Better teaching could easily explain it!
We’re an island nation, Olga: fish TENDS to be popular.   Although I’ll have to admit, I’m not a huge fan of seafood: unless it’s covered in batter and deep fried!   Your father would be disappointed in me, I think: I’m not a one for sardines.   It’s the smell of tinned fish that gets me.   Oh, and shell fish!
I think that goes back to family holidays in Cornwall.   My parents got a live crab for dinner, and it scared the willies out of me.   In fairness, I was younger than Jude is!
(You know, we’ve a fish stall in Brentwood High Street, if you’re ever in the area.   And Delia’s got a easy looking shallow fried recipe: I may have to try that … )

†        Hello Mum.

‡        Glad to be of help, Debbi!   And poke me, when the Memoirs come out!
I’m also glad to hear the video went down well.   Did you catch yesterday’s Teaser Video … ?   I think the last twenty seconds or so might tickle you … 


^        Yes, we do, Edith: and that’s a very good suggestion.   But we’ll see how Piers does, first.   He’s managed to cover the phones masts rather well.   Remind me to tell you how the Gazette helped with the gas meters, at the back of the building.
At ANY rate … ?   Did you know there’s a bog soccer contest on, at the moment?   I’m really not a fan of the game: but think that Vindaloo is the best football song ever written!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Thirteen

Q2) Thirteen

Q3) Betsy Ross (probably, at least that’s how the story goes, but nobody seems to know for sure).

Q4) The original colonies

Q5) Modern US states (I’d love it if it were the cheeses, but I suspect the rest of the states might be “cheesed off”. Sorry, I had to!)
I'm not a fan of sardines myself either. My father liked them fresh and also tinned, but he preferred the small ones when it came to tinned sardines. My mother is not a fan of either, that's why it mostly ended up being a barbecue and a one-man operation. He wasn't a big eater, in general, but he could eat a lot of sardines. Crabs can be scary things, although I do like the taste...
Good to know about the stall. I'll keep it in mind.
Everything going well, my mother and I will be going on holiday for a few weeks from mid-July until the first week of August (to tell you the truth, I've just looked for the dates with the cheapest fares, as I won't be teaching then and my mother is retired, so we might as well. I'll let you know before we set off because although sometimes the connection there is good enough to read e-mails and check a few things, I can only connect the phone, and it doesn't work very well for blogs or comments).
Oh, do remember to check the eye test. It used to be once a year for people with diabetes when I was in the UK, so don't forget to check it out. And good luck with the results of the blood test!

Freda said...

1 Thirteen
2 Thirteen
3 Betsy Ross
4 Original Colonies
5 Modern US sTATES
3

Edith Reuwer said...

1. 13
2. 13
3. Betsy Ross
4. The original Colonies
5. Modern States


that is a fun football song you posted. It is the only one I have ever heard.

That is wonderful that you have found a reporter to help.

Debbi said...

Your tea has gone cold. Well, that sucks. :(

1. thirteen
2. thirteen
3. Betsy Ross
4. the original colonies
5. modern US states

BTW, the "watch" runs like a ... well, a Swiss watch! :) Put a smile on my face.

Nice sign off! :)