Monday 21 June 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21-6-2021: The Summer Solstice

21st June, 2021.


Yep: I have a busy morning.

Well, a busy morning … for a single man who’s unemployed.

I’ve got a meeting with my Work and Health coach, this morning.

Hopefully?

That won’t go on for too long.

As I’ve got a Zoom meeting for the course the Job Centre’s signed me up to.

At eleven … 

I’d better switch on the laptop the Job Centre got me: just to get the thing updated, before I start …

~≈¶≈~

All that … ?   And today is the last day I’m going to be eating for a while.

I’ve a colonoscopy on Wednesday.

Which means I’m going to be fasting, from 8am, tomorrow.

That, and the laxative?

Means I’ll be having fun … !

~≈¶≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Debbi‡ and Edith^ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring ten out of ten, Mum on nine, and Edith on 8.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        This year’s Summer Solstice takes place, today: on 21st June, 2021.   In which of the Earth’s hemispheres: northern or southern?

Q2)        Which solstice is it: in the other hemisphere: Summer or Winter?

Q3)        The Summer Solstice is sometimes called Midsummer’s day.   Traditionally, England marks Midsummer’s Day on which day in June: the 22nd, 23rd or 24th or June?

Q4)        The Summer Solstice is the longest what of the year: day or night?

Q5)        Finally … ?   In parts of the far north, the sun won’t what, on the Summer Solstice: rise or set?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        West Virginia joined the USA: in which year of the 1860s?
A1)        1863.

Q2)        West Virginia was originally part of which other US state: Rhode Island, Virginia or New Jersey?
A2)        Virginia.   (The state’s made up of the Unionist counties of the Confederate inclined Virginia.)

Q3)        It was which started to join: the 34th, 35th or 36th … ?
A3)        The 35th.

Q4)        West Virginia was one of two US states formed during the US Civil War.   What was the other: California, Nevada or Oregon?
A4)        Nevada.

Q5)        West Virginia was originally going to be called the state of what: Kanawha, Kaneda or Kawasaki?
A5)        The State of Kanawha.   The Kanawha is a West Virginian river.   Kaneda is a character in Akira.  Kawasaki makes motorbikes.

Q6)        West Virginia’s known as the what: Mountain State, Mouse State or Mirror State?
A6)        The Mountain State.

Q7)        True or False: Spruce Knob is the state’s highest point.
A7)        True.   It’s the summit of Spruce Mountain.

Q8)        West Virginia Power and the West Virginia Black Bears play what: Baseball, Basketball or Soccer?
A8)        Baseball.

Q9)        The West Virginian capital shares its name with a dance.   Which dance: the Charleston, the Fan Dance or the Galliard?
A9)        The Charleston.

Q10)        Finally … ?   Which John Denver song mentions West Virginia: Take Me Home, Country Roads, Grandma’s Feather Bed or Rocky Mountain High?
A10)        Take Me Home, Country Roads.
Here’s a quote … 
“Summer was our best season: it was sleeping on the back screened porch in cots, or trying to sleep in the treehouse; summer was everything good to eat; it was a thousand colors in a parched landscape; but most of all, summer was Dill.”
To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee.
A song …


And — courtesy of Old Peculiar regular, Edith — an appropriately summery tune … 


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.







*        Thanks for letting me know Olga: you know what I’m like for worrying!   I’m sure you’ll find SOMETHING to watch on Amazon Prime.   (Me and Mum are the same: we have VERY different tastes!)

†        Hello, Mum!

‡        We were talking about Classical Gas, Debbi: and boy, I had to scroll around to find what we were talking about!   Oh, I caught up with the blu ray version of The Ark In Space, last night.   Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton and Louise Jameson — in the Behind the Sofa watch along — are something else!   (Once you see them as Granny, Nanny and Magrat, it makes a horrible kind of sense …)


^        Oh, you’ve done it again, Edith!   Picked the perfect tune for the day: thanking you!   (I’ve just had to include it alongside the Ella Fitzgerald song!)

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Northern Hemisphere

Q2) Winter

Q3) The Summer Solstice is sometimes called Midsummer’s day. Traditionally, England marks Midsummer’s Day on which day in June: the 22nd, 23rd or 24th or June? 24th (in some places it says on the 23rd or 24th, but in most it says St. John’s day). Here St. John´s [Sant Joan] is also celebrated, well, mostly Sant Joan’s Eve, when people have parties, lit bonfires and fireworks, eat coca... The underground will be working all night, so I guess they expect big parties everywhere.
https://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_de_Sant_Joan

https://www.barcelona.cat/culturapopular/en/festivals-and-traditions/food-and-drink/coca-de-sant-joan

Q4) Day

Q5) Set. That must be really weird. I always think I'd like to see it, but I'm not sure I could cope with living there. When I went to Saint Petersburg they warned us about it, but it was too early in the year to be too noticeable, and I don't think it's quite as dramatic there as in other places.
Good luck with the meetings today, and tomorrow... Fingers crossed it all goes well this time.
And I agree. Edith choice of tune is perfect. I love Summertime as well.

Freda said...

1 Northern
2 Winter
3 23rd June
4 Day
5 Set

Debbi said...

Oh, yeah. Classical Gas. Fun song! :)

1. northern
2. Winter
3. 24th of June
4. day
5. set

That song takes me back. Way back! :)

Edith Reuwer said...

1. Northern
2. Winter
3. June 22
4. Day
5. Set

You are welcome, Paul. I am flattered that you would post it. I was just sharing music with you. I never expected you to post it. Thank you again.