Thursday 3 June 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 3-6-2021: World Bicycle Day

3rd June, 2021.


I think we can safely say the Civil Service can move.

Sometimes.

Occasionally.

When needed.

Remember, my Job centre case worker’s been keen for me to do an online course?

One where I’ll need Zoom: which isn’t a problem.

And a copy of Microsoft Office: one that — along side any Windows specific plugins — would be.

I don’t have space on my iMac for ten gigabytes of productivity suite.

So my work coach decided to buy me a laptop.

I was expecting a delay.

Even given it was a budget machine, with not a lot of RAM, and a hard drive that’s smaller than some memory sticks.

It turned up, yesterday.

I’ve got a couple of weeks before the course starts: so I can take my take my time setting things up.

But still … I’m surprised … 

~≈💻≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Debbi‡ and Edith^, putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, Debbi and Mum on four and Edith on two.

The day also saw Trevorª leaving us a message. Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        3rd June is World Bicycle Day.   How many wheels do bicycles have?

Q2)        Which ‘C,’ rides a bicycle?


Q3)        Bicycle riders power the bicycles by using their feet: to push which ‘P?’

Q4)        The ordinary bicycle is also known as the Penny … what?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The modern bicycle is a what bicycle: safety, seated or sorted?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        2nd June is the feast day of Saint Erasmus of Formia.   He’s also known as Saint what: Elmo, Bert or Ernie?
A1)        Elmo.

Q2)        Guglielmo Marconi patented his wireless telegraphy system.   On 2nd June of which year: 1895, 1896 or 1897?
A2)        1896.   (The Marconi company — which he founded a few years later — was in Chelmsford: I’d pass what had been the factory, every day, when I worked there.)

Q3)        Sneaky Pete Robinson was born on 2nd June, 1933.   He was a what: soccer player, drag racer or fighter pilot?
A3)        Drag racer.   (Why I have mental images of Lewis Hamilton … in a frock … ?)

Q4)        2nd June, 1955, saw the birth of actor and comedian, Dana Carvey.   Who did he play in the Wayne’s World movies: Wayne or Garth?
A4)        Garth: or Garth Algar.   (Wayne, himself, was played by Mike Myers)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Actor, Zachary Quinto was born on 2nd June, 1977.   He played the villainous Sylar, in which series: Twin Peaks, Fawlty Towers or Heroes?
A5)        Heroes.
Here’s a thought … 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.”
Albert Einstein.
And a themed playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        I know what you mean, Olga: I lost track of Heroes at around the same point.   Actually … ?   I lost track of Westworld, at about the same point: the first time I mentioned in in a couple of years was in my most recent For All Mankind post.   That’s possibly some thing to look at, if and when you do fancy some TV.
I should here about the test, some point next week, hopefully.   And I might just look up that ECDL course, as well.   I might just be able to put in for that ECDL course, now I’ve got it.
(Oh, have you heard of Windows S?   It’s the cut down version of Windows that the thing’s running.   Neither version’s something I want, but there we go  …!)

†        Hello, Mum!

‡        You know, it’s funny you should mention McGoohan’s looks, Debbi: you’re not the only one.   I can’t see the appeal, myself!
Kentucky and Maryland are official pains in the bum!   Just ask Trevor and Olga!
Oh, No Time to Die should be out this year: I’d LOVE to know if Rami Malek’s playing the character some rumour’s think he’s playing!
(Oh, Edith’s mentioned you!   And I THINK Jammie Dodger’s should be on Amazon …at a truly extortionate price.)

^        I live Marmite, Edith: I can’t get enough of it.   But the advert I shared, yesterday, makes a very good point: people literally love it or hate it.   Me and Debbi are in the Love camp, definitely!
Patrick McGoohan certainly had fans!   Mum thought he was dishy!
And listening to Handyman for yesterday’s quiz?   Was the first time I’d heard it.   Actually, there’s an old Vapors tune called Jimmie Jones: I think it’s about the singer.


ª        I went with ‘Neither,’ as the eventual answer, Trevor: but accepted ‘neutral.’   ‘Both,’ I think, would’ve been pushing it: but it’s possibly an option to add, when/if I reuse it.   Like I said in yesterday’s answers, it had a provisional Confederate government, hs many African American citizens who joined the Union army … and was a border state!   Minefield’s possibly undertaking it.

5 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Two

Q2) A cyclist

Q3) a pedal

Q4) Farthing

Q5) safety
I saw your pic of the computer. No, I haven't heard of Windows S, but I'm sure it will do for what you need it. Hopefully, the course might prove useful in the long run. And yes, it goes to show that sometimes they can move surprisingly quickly. Oh, I'd been waiting to hear about my second vaccine shot, and it's tomorrow, three weeks to the day (so just right). The funny thing is that I just got a text message to "remind me" I was having the vaccine tomorrow. Of course, it is difficult to be reminded of something you were never told in the first place, but I won't question that. As I long as I get it done, that's all that matters.

trev-v said...

Ah Bicycles the bane of my current life. I regularly have to dodge 2 paperboys who ride on the pavement. Before Covid there also used to be an elderly guy who used to shout at you if you did not get out of his way as he rode on the pavement.

A1 The clue is in the prefix “Bi” meaning 2. so 2 wheels.
A2 I will be polite and say Cyclist.
A3 Pedals
A4 Farthing ( I remember using farthings in our monetary system)
A5 Safety (nothing safe about them when you were learning to ride one)

For 5 or 6 years I cycled 2 miles to my Mixed grammar school. Back then in sunny Scunny there was about 100 bicycles for every car. Shift changes on the 3 steel works involve huge pelotons of bicycles leaving the works.



A cycle song from the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUfczn_7T5Y

Freda said...

1 normally 2
2 Cyclist
3 Pedals
4 Farthing
5 Safety

Debbi said...

Come to this blog for lessons in history! Maybe. :)

1. two
2. cyclist
3. pedals
4. farthing (like on The Prisoner!)
5. safety

Dishy is a good word for it! :)

Edith said...

1. two
2. Children
3. peddle
4. weight
5. sorted

That was a very nice playlist.

The song by the vapors was very good.