Tuesday 1 June 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 1-6-2021: Ol’ Kentucky

1st June, 2021.


Yep: I’ve got both a meeting — with my Job centre case officer —  and a blood test.

To monitor my blood sugar levels, in case you were wondering.

At ANY rate … ?

The chat with my case worker could be interesting.

She’s trying to encourage me to do a non-mandatory training course.

Which is fair enough.

The Zoom meetings aren’t an issue: it’s what I’ve been using for the few recent interviews I’ve had, recently.

The big issue’s been a copy of MS Office needed for the course.

I don’t have the hard drive space, nor the money, for it.

So — provisionally? — my case worker’s agreed to give me a grant for a refurbished Windows based laptop.

We’ll have to see what happens, there.

~≈🧑🏻‍💻≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Edith‡ and Debbi^, putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum and Edith on four.

The day also saw Trevorª leaving us a message.

Let’s see how they, and you, does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        Kentucky joined the United States on 1st June.   Of which year: 1792, 1793 or 1794?

Q2)        Was it the 14th, 15th or 16th to join?

Q3)        What’s Kentucky’s capital: Lexington, Louisville or Frankfort?

Q4)        Was Kentucky on the Union or Confederate side, during the Civil War?

Q5)        Name either one of the two Civil War era Presidents born in Kentucky.

Q6)        The man who modestly called himself ‘the Greatest,’ was a heavyweight boxer from Louisville, Kentucky.   Who was he?

Q7)        The Kentucky Derby is a what race: horse race, greyhound race or Moto-cross race?

Q8)        Kentucky bluegrass gives its name to a type of music.   What type of music: heavy metal, country or hip hop?

Q9)        Kentucky bourbon is a type of which drink: whiskey, vodka or rum?

Q10)        Finally … ?   Kentucky is said to be the home of the Old Fashioned.   The Old Fashioned is a what: cheese, apple or cocktail?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        31st May is World No Tobacco Day.   It was officially created by the UN: in which year of the 1980s?
A1)        1987.   (The UN created initially named 7th April as a World No Smoking Day.)
Q2)        The main commercial form of the tobacco plant is what: Nicotiana tabacum, or Nicotiana rusticum?
A2)        Nicotiana tabacum.
Q3)        According to many warnings? Smoking tobacco is bad for your what: health, garden or walls?
A3)        Health.
Q4)        As of 2017, which BRIC nation was the world’s leading tobacco producer: Brazil, Russia, India or China?
A4)        China.
Q5)        Finally … ?   Smoking causes what: HIV/AIDS, Cancer or Leprosy
A5)        Cancer.
Here’s a motto … 
“Deo gratiam habeamus.”
Trans: Let us be grateful to God.
Kentucky’s motto.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Oh, TELL me about walls, Olga!   Someone I knew had nice yellow walls.   They HAD been white … !
At any rate?   There’s a few different things happening, here, as well: and I think the annual Strawberry Faire might be back on this year.
Good luck with the Radio Sant equivalents!
(We’ll have to see how Trevor feels, today: I think there’s a cheese thing going on … )

†        Hello, Mum!

‡        Blimey … Robert Goulet’s had quite a voice, Edith!   I might just have to bookmark that album!   Oh, and his family were French Canadian?   In one of my favourite sets of science fiction novels, these, the narrator’s family were Americans were also of French Canadian origin: and who’d moved to New England, after being kicked out of Canada!
(The Nashville Teens, who recorded Tobacco Road?   Were from Surrey, in the UK!)

^        And here’s the weird thing, Debbi: I’m not a huge one for ice cream, or cheese … but you wouldn’t know it.   I really have to lay off the fried food!   Oh, I THINK Trevor got the message, yesterday!
A Debbi Mack World Tour sounds like a good idea … but I don’t know if there’s a cheese factory in town.   We’ve got a secret nuclear bunker, though!   (Trevor said said “That’s the cheese factory!”)

ª        Debbi said Hi, Trevor!   Now … are there any cheese factories in Brentwood … ?   (I’ve not been able to review those scores, as yet: I’ve been assembling Teaser videos …)

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1792

Q2) The 15th

Q3) Frankfort

Q4) OK. This is a funny one. It seems it never officially seceded (therefore it remained in the Union), some of the people there created a Confederate Government, the state is represented by the central star in the Confederate flag, but they were “neutral”, so... search me. It was a border state, those who supported slavery but never left the Union (having your cake and eating as well it sounds like, if you ask me).

Q5) Abraham Lincoln

Q6) Muhammad Ali

Q7) A horse race

Q8) Country

Q9) Whiskey

Q10) A cocktail
Good luck with the blood test and the meeting. I hope the computer thing works out this way. It's becoming a saga! And let's hope Trevor is back... (I do like cheese)

Freda said...

1 1793

2 16th
3 Frankfort
4 Union
5 Abraham Lincoln
6 Cassius Clay
7 Horse Race
8 Country
9 Whiskey
10 Cocktail

Debbi said...

Ooh! A nuclear bunker signing. That and Waterstone's and maybe the Doctor Who set. :)

Perhaps I could convince the companies that make Marmite and Jammie Dodgers to sponsor it? :)

1. 1792
2. 15th
3. Frankfort
4. Union (although that's complicated by their border state status at the time)
5. Abraham Lincoln
6. Muhammad Ali
7. horse race
8. country
9. whiskey
10. cocktail

I'm the only American I've met who admits to liking Marmite! Wow! :) I'm sure there must at least one other!

Edith Reuwer said...

1. 1793
2.15th
3. Lexington
4. confederate
5. Jefferson Davis
6. Clay later changed his name to Mouhamad Ali.
7. horse race
8. Country music
9. Whiskey
10. cocktail


I am glad you like his voice.

That book sounds interesting. I wonder if he was a Goulet fan?