Monday 11 July 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11th July, 2022.

11th July, 2022.


It’s got to be said: it’s warm, right now.

My boiler’s thermostat tells it’s some 25°.

Warm for here.

The predictions for the week?

Tell me today’s going to reach 30°: and potentially reach 34° later in the week today.

There’s heat-health warnings around.

I’m glad I’ve got some bottled water in the fridge.

I think I’m going to need it.

~≈🌞≈~

I’ve got Radio 4’s Today programme on, in the background.

It’s not been mentioned on the BBC news website: but, according to one report?

There’s a possibility that the Cost of Living payment — due to start rolling out on Thursday — is going to be delayed.

If it is?

There’s going to be murder.

~≈🌞≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        The Hollywood Bowl opened on 11th July, 1922.   In which US city: New York, Chicago or Los Angeles?

Q2)        The USS Nevada was launched: on 11th July, 1914.   What was it: a battleship, aircraft carrier or corvette?

Q3)        Alexander Hamilton was shot in a duel, on 11th July, 1804: by Aaron Burr.   Hamilton held which US government post, at the time of his death: Vice President, Secretary of the Treasury, or Secretary of State?

Q4)        Which London railway station opened: on 11th July, 1848: Waterloo, Liverpool Street or Fenchurch Street?

Q5)        Finally?   The first game of the 1972 World Chess Championship was played: on 11th July, 1972.     The defending champion was Boris Spassky.   Who was the challenger: Samuel Gold, Bobby Fischer or Esther Epstein?
Yesterday’s answers are in today’s video.

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        10th July is Independence Day. Where: Jamaica, Antigua or the Bahamas?
A1)        The Bahamas.

Q2)        10th July, 1856, saw the birth of Nikola Tesla.   The Tesla car company is named in his honour. Tesla cars are powered by what: diesel fuel, petrol or electricity?
A2)        Electricity.

Q3)        Telstar was the world’s first communications satellite.   It was launched on 10th July. Of which year of the 1960s?
A3)        1962.

Q4)        10th July, 2019, saw the last original what, roll off a production line in Mexico: a Volkswagen Beetle, Mini or Model T Ford?
A4)        The Volkswagen Beetle.

Q5)        Finally … ?   10th July, 1943, saw Allied forces invade where: Corsica, Sicily or Sardinia?
A5)        Sicily.
Here’s a thought … 
“All the public business in Congress now connects itself with intrigues, and there is great danger that the whole government will degenerate into a struggle of cabals.”
John Quincy Adams, July 11, 1767 – February 23, 1848.
And some music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

        It’s a fun watch, Olga!   Oh, and he’s very good in Never Let Me Go.   (Carey Mulligan was amazing in that!)
        I’m with you on the weather front!   (I seem to recall you telling me Jorge and his wife thought it was a little too cool, when they visited.   I think they might change their minds, if they came this week!   It’s getting sweaty!)

        I’ve got to admit, I’ve never actually sat down with a web series, Debbi!   I really should!

4 comments:

trev-v said...

If this cold weather continues I may have to put a couple of Cardigans on.

Olga said...

Q1) Los Angeles

Q2) A battleship

Q3) Secretary of the Treasury

Q4) Waterloo

Q5) Bobby Fischer
Yes, I think you are right about Jordi and his wife. They spend a lot of time coming and going from the Basque country, where one of their daughters lives, and at least it's coder there. Here it was over 30 degrees yesterday, and the problem is that it doesn't drop much at night, so it's difficult to sleep as well.
I watched Never Let Me Go and thought it was OK (I think), although, my problem with that is that I had read the novel before, and I thought it extraordinary, so the adaptation had much to live up to. I haven't read many of Ishiguro's novels, but of the ones I've read, I think it's my favourite.
Stay as cool as possible. (Here, they have set up a number of places [school patios and gardens, some parks, libraries, official buildings...] as climate refuges, so people who don't have access to air-conditioning at home can spend time there and cool down a bit. Of course, most of them are either outdoor spaces or public buildings, but it is a nice idea, and some, like the schools, wouldn't be open to access in any case.
By the way, did I tell you I checked with Anna and she did well in her exams? It seems that Rebeca, the other student going through the same, also passed, but she didn't tell me her grade, only that she had done well.

Freda said...

1 Los Angeles
2 Battleship
3 Secretary of the Treasury
4 Waterloo
5 Bobby Fischer

Debbi said...

Neither have I, actually, although "Minikillers" with Diana Rigg seems like an example of one.

1. Los Angeles
2. a battleship
3. Secretary of the Treasury
4. Waterloo
5. Bobby Fischer