Wednesday 27 July 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27th July, 2022.

27th July, 2022.


Right … I’m officially in Wednesday mode.

And thinking I need to do more shopping!

Yep: I forgot mushrooms, yesterday!

Making spaghetti sauce without, could be tricky!

~≈Œ≈~

Something that caught my eye, this morning?

Was a piece on the Today program: that tells us a group of MPs have recommended pausing deductions from Universal Credit, ones that repay arrears and overpayments.

I’m one of the people who has some deductions: to repay council tax arrears.

I’m … kind of caught.

I’d like to get those arrears sorted: that would have long term benefits.

I also have to admit, a pause would be welcome: even given I’ve re-negotiated some bills, and had help with others?

The extra few quid a month would be useful.

My only concern?   Is whether the government will accept that recommendation.

I think it won’t, given the mess it’s in.

~≈Œ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        27th July is the feast day of Saint Pantaleon.   He’s the patron saint of whom: physicians, banana farmers or fishermen?

Q2)        The Geneva Convention of 1929 was signed by 53 nations: on 27th July, 1929.   It covered what: weapons of mass destruction, the treatment of prisoners of war or the Red Cross?

Q3)        27th July, 1965, saw who named as Conservative party leader: Edward Heath, Harold Wilson or Jeremy Thorpe?

Q4)        27th July, 1960, saw the birth of Jo Durie.   She plays what: badminton, tennis or squash?

Q5)        Finally … ?   27th July, 1970, saw the death of dictator, António de Oliveira Salazar.   He’d been dictator of which European country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        26th July, 1951, saw the premiere of Disney’s Alice in Wonderland.   In which English city: London, Manchester or Liverpool?
A1)        London.

Q2)        The film is base on books by whom: Lewis Carroll, Edgar Rice Burroughs or Edward Lear?
A2)        Lewis Carroll.

Q3)        26th July is Esperanto Day. Esperanto is an artificial what?
A3)        Language.

Q4)        26th July is Independence Day in Liberia.   Liberia is on which continent: Africa, Europe or Asia?
A4)        Africa.

Q5)        Finally … ?   26th July, 1928, saw the birth of director, Stanley Kubrick.   Which of his films starred Malcolm McDowell as Alex?
A5)        A Clockwork Orange.
Here’s a thought … 
“The trouble with Hollywood is that the producers and agents are the aristocrats... which made actors who make their living in Hollywood usually feel they are some sort of scum.”
James Mason, 15 May 1909 – 27 July 1984.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Well, if they ever did a Best of the Essex Arms LP, Olga, I’d love to do some liner notes!   I don’t see it happening, though.   Half the bands that played there no longer exist: so sorting the rights out could be iffy.   (Most of the bands were fantastic: the Motel Kings were great, and Dumpy’s Rusty Nuts, superb!   Oh, the Motel King’s song I’ve posted was recorded at the Essex: I should know, I was on the bar that night.   That’s me going ‘whoo whoo,’ in the background.)



        Hello, Mum!

‡        I know there’s a lot of research being done, Debbi.   I’m assuming it’s helpful with the side effects of the dystonia?
        Did I tell you I’ve got Season 22 of Classic Dr Who on Blu-ray?   I’m ripping it as we speak.   Vengeance on Various and The Two Doctors get two discs, each: that’s a lot of extras!   Oh, and I caught an old episode of Blake’s Seven called Orbit, yesterday: one by Robert Holmes, writer of The Talons of Weng Chiang, The Two Doctors, and The Brain of Morbius.   That man’s death was a loss.

^        Don’t look at me, Trevor: I was watching Stranger Things!

5 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Oh, Debbi, I’ve sent you something … 

trev-v said...

You missed a sublime goal like this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/62314030

That goal put us 3 - 0 up. I wonder if Jude and his pals are practising their football skills to match this goal.

Olga said...

Q1) Physicians

Q2) the treatment of prisoners of war

Q3) Edward Heath

Q4) Tennis

Q5) Portugal
Good sound! Thanks for sharing that song. Yes, sorting out the rights must be a nightmare. It would take a pretty big company, or some very savvy and well-connected small record publisher to get it all sorted, I suspect.
Good luck with your shopping and fingers crossed on the government's decisions. It seems that anything they decide, even if it sound good at first, it might end up making matters worse.
Don't forget the mushrooms!

Freda said...

1Physicians
2 Prisoners of War
3 Edward Heath
4 Tennis
5 Portugal

Debbi said...

Yes, thanks, Paul! :) Received!

Have you seen "Murder in Successville"? It's on YouTube and I guess the genre is humorous, semi-scripted crime.

1. physicians
2. the treatment of prisoners of war
3. Edward Heath (I remember that name from the Beatles song "Taxman")
4. tennis
5. Portugal