Tuesday 19 July 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19th July, 2022

19th July, 2022.


I mentioned — in yesterday’s Teaser — that we were expecting seriously high temperatures.

With the Met Office predicting some 40°C.

It wasn’t quite that bad.

The hottest it got?

Was 38.1°C: in Surrey, and other parts of England.

I know it got to 36° in Brentwood: and that my flat hit 30°!

It wasn’t pleasant.

It’s possibly going to get worse.

The Today programme’s talking about 40° to 42° maximums.

With the temperature in my part of town predicted to be 38°.


I think today is going to be another day like yesterday.

It’ll be a two shower day.

(I can still remember one family holiday to Spain: back when the UK was a LOT cooler, and Spain, comparatively tropical.   Stepping off the plane was like walking into a war of heat.   Stepping out of my front door, yesterday?   Reminded me of that trip.)

~≈°≈~

You’ve possibly realised I’m on benefits: as a result of an extended job search.

And — like many in the same shoes? — waiting for the first of the government’s Cost of Living payments.

That first payment, of £326, turned up yesterday.

Even though I’ve spent a good chunk of it?   A big wedge on gas, electricity and my internet connection? I’m grateful it turned up.

I still have enough to possibly get a haircut.

So long as the barber’s shady … 

~≈°≈~

JUST as a final thought … ?

This, and this?

Are a couple of YouTube shorts my nephew, Jude, has done.

And this is his latest Rocket League video.


Feel free to hit Like and Share!

~≈°≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        19th July, 2019, saw the death of actor, Rutger Hauer.   He played Roy Batty in which science fiction film: Brain Storm, Blade Runner or 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Q2)        19th July, 1821, saw the coronation of George 4th.   During his father’s reign, he’d served as what: Prince Regent, Prime Minister or Grand Wizard of the Imperial Klan?

Q3)        19th July, 1845, saw a fire break out, where: New York, Los Angeles or Chicago?

Q4)        The skeleton of a carnivorous dinosaur were unveiled on 19th July, 1983.   Bill Walker, the amateur fossil hunter who found the bones, was a what: plumber, electrician or carpenter?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Mary Rose sank on 19th July, 1545.   In which English waters: the English Channel, the Solent or the North Sea?
Yesterday’s answers are in today’s video.

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        18th July is Constitution Day in Uruguay: marking the announcement of the first Uruguay Constitution.   That announcement was in which year of the 1830s?
A1)        1830.

Q2)        Uruguay, itself?   Is on which continent: North America, South America or Africa?
A2)        South America.

Q3)        What’s Uruguay’s capital city: Montevideo, Salto or Ciudad de la Costa?
A3)        Montevideo.

Q4)        Uruguay has two official languages.   Uruguayan Sign Language is one.   What’s the other: Spanish, Portuguese or Welsh?
A4)        Spanish.   (South America’s only Welsh speaking communities live in Argentina.)

Q5)        Finally?   What’s Uruguay’s currency: the Peso, Peseta or Paso Double?
A5)        The Uruguay Peso.
Here’s a thought …
“Hell is that state where one has ceased to hope.”
A. J. Cronin, 19 July 1896 – 6 January 1981.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.







*        Oh, early morning Charlestons!   That’s a rather good way to start the day, Olga: cheers, me dears!   JUST as a pointless bit of trivia for you: did you know Uruguay hosted the very first World Cup, back in 1930?   And won it?   I’m no fan: but that’s the only thing I usually remember about the place!
        As for the temperature?   We’re expecting worse, today.   The one thing I know, for sure?   Is how uncomfortable it was, last night.   My duvet ended up on the floor.
        New’s of the wildfire’s have been hitting the UK, Olga.   Here: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/aerial-footage-shows-fast-growing-105354043.html.  Apparently?   There’s been at least two people killed: in the Castilla y León area.   I get the impression this is going to be more common.

        Hello, Mum!

        It’s on as we speak, Debbi!   I’m just glad the Cost of Living payment turned up: it should cover the cost of the electricity.

4 comments:

Freda said...

1 Blade Runner
2 Prince Regent
3 New York
4 Plumber
5 The Solent

Olga said...

Q1) Blade Runner (Is he dead? I suspect we’ve had that conversation before, but then, that summer I think we went on holiday to Galicia and there our TV wasn’t very good either, so I might have missed it completely. Or I’ve forgotten it).

Q2) Prince Regent

Q3) New York

Q4) Plumber

Q5) The Solent
Good news on the payment. Yes, the fires here were "suspicious" and there were two people dead. Also worrying, two people died in Madrid, due to the heat, but not particularly vulnerable people (the numbers of vulnerable people dying is a bit uncertain at the moment). One was a street cleaner, and the other was working in a warehouse. Scary!
I just saw a video that talked about Ivana Trump's death a few days back. I missed it completely but the circumstances reminded me of quite a few movies... (Gone with the Wind included).

I hope to complete my round of news for the radio before the radio station closes for the summer (they have automated and repeated programmes on while they update equipment, and have a break as well), so then we'll be taking things easier, although I still have a couple of classes with Jordi left before he goes on holiday. Might go back in October, but when shall see. Keep as cool as you can. We'll also try here.

trev-v said...

I noticed that the Government has removed £326 from me in extra taxes. I did wonder where it had gone.

Nice and cool here. All windows and doors at the front of the house have blinds and drapes closed. Here at the back of the house I have a table fan looping about cooling the dinning room and the lounge.
In the evening in my back bedroom I have a floor standing fan running on slow speed when I am in bed.
That fan has many features and a remote control. The breeze feature is very annoying and so I do not use it. Neither do I make use of its many ways of oscillating.
Just a gentle flow of air over me as I sleep is fine.

Debbi said...

Best of luck, Paul. I used to live without A/C in our apartment in New York. I remember s few sweaty days there. And in Maryland. :)

1. Blade Runner
2. Prince Regent
3. New York
4. plumber
5. the Solent