Saturday, 15 June 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15-6-2019: The Bombing

15th June, 2019.


Yep: it’s officially official … 

Huawei are having more issues.

After Samsung’s folding phone was withdrawn, Huawei announced that they were suspending the release of theirs: as it was having problems.


They’ve ALSO cancelled the launch of their upcoming hi-end Windows laptop: partly over chip supply problems, and partly because Microsoft won’t necessarily supply versions the operating system.

How Huawei resolves that?

I don’t know about the chips: but they’ve patented a new phone OS, already!

They might well put that on the laptop: there’s plenty of hybrids around that show it can be done.

We’ll have to see … 

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Mr Strict†, Olga‡, and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with all four scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) The IRA set off a bomb in central Manchester: on 15th June of which year?
Q2) The bomb went outside the Arndale Centre.   The Arndale centre was a what: shopping centre, cinema complex or theatre district?
Q3) The bombing was carried out by the Provisional … whom?
Q4) The bomb exploded in Corporation Street: and was hidden in a what: car, lorry or van?
Q5) Finally … ?   Roughly two hundred people were injured in the explosion.   How many died on the day?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 14th June, 1940, saw German troops enter which city?
A1) Paris.
Q2) A fire broke out at Grenfell Tower: on 14th June, 2017.   The cause was a malfunctioning what?
Q3) 14th June, 1811, saw the birth of author, Harriet Beecher Stowe.   Her best known novel was … what?
Q4) 14th June, 1900, saw where, become a US territory?
A4) Hawaii.
Q5) Finally?   14th June, 1955, saw the birth of Paul O’Grady.   What’s the name of his famously four mouthed drag character?
Here’s a thought …
“Police officer Wendy McCormick found herself telling people in the Arndale: ‘I don’t want to die because somebody won’t finish their pizza.’”
From the Manchester Evening News report on the bombing.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Morning, Anneª.   Yeah, I’ve bee following it for a while.   I’ve just caught the episode where Missandei dies.   Watching Daenerys’ reaction was something!


†        Morning, Mr S: nice to see you onboard … !

‡        Big Rock Candy Mountain’s been around for years, Olga: I know it was a childhood favourite.    X years later … … … the lyrics sound a bit different!   (You know, Uncle Tom’s Cabin is another one I’ll have to read!)

^        I really am going to have to look that up, Debbi: I know Brentwood Library can’t get hold of… !

ª        Ever here of Dr Feelgood, Anne?   Wilko Johnson — the guitarist, on the the left — turned up on Game of Thrones, a few years later: as Ser Ilyn Payne.   He ends up executing Sean Bean … 


2 comments:

  1. Q1) 1996
    Q2) Shopping centre
    Q3) IRA
    Q4) a van
    Q5) None.
    It's weird with some books. You get an idea in your head... It happened to me with El Lazarillo de Tormes, a Spanish classic (you'll remember el Ministerio del tiempo's episode), which for some reason I was convinced I wouldn't like, when I was a child. I read it, years later, and it is a fantastic book. I'm not sure what the English translations must be like, but...
    https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/437
    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm answering early for once today. I've been trying to take it easier on weekends. And in general. And it's about time. :)

    1. 1996
    2. shopping centre
    3. IRA
    4. van
    5. none (at least, there were no fatalities from the bomb); now, strictly speaking, I couldn't tell you how many people died that day (of other causes, in other places, etc.), she wrote, cheekily! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.