Thursday 6 June 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 6-6-2019: D-Day

6th June, 2019.


Yep: it’s officially D-Day.

It’s ALSO officially the day I’ll be looking after my nephew, Jude.

I think we can safely say the word ‘pizza’ is going to be involved somewhere.

As is Jelly, Slogoman and Kwebbelkop … 


Oy Veh … !

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 


Q1) During World War 2, 6th June saw the start of the D-Day landings: the Allied operation to invade Normandy.   6th June of which year?
Q2) The landings were what’s known as a what: airborne assault, amphibious assault or a frontal assault?
Q3) To get to Normandy, the Allied Army had to cross what … ?
Q4) The British Army planned to use Hobart’s Funnies during the D Day landings.  Hobart’s Funnies were specially modified what?
Q5) Finally … who was in charge of the British forces at the landings?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 5th June is World Environment Day.   It was first officially marked in which year of the 1970s?
A1) 1974.
Q2) This year’s theme is air … what?
A2) Air pollution.
Q3) One factor behind global warming, is the  high emissions of what: carbon dioxide, argon or helium?
Q4) Which David Attenborough narrated series revealed the extent of plastic pollution in the world’s oceans?
Q5) Finally … which 1997 Protocol is designed to force countries to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions?
A5) The Kyoto Protocol.
Here’s a thought …
“This time the challenge is not to fight to survive, but to fight to win the final victory for the good cause …”
George 6th, in a speech broadcast on D-Day.
And a video …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        Morning, Anne!   Just been digging up jokes from Siri: here … 

†        It’s a useful app, in one sense, Olga: but iTunes has faced accusations of bloatware, over the years.   The change does raise issues, though.   Oh, I caught another episode, last night.   Did you ever hear of a radio show called Diego Valor?   Seems it was Pacino’s favourite show — and comic — as a child.   As soon as he mentioned the Diego’s arch-enemy, the Great Mekong^, I started looking the thing up … !   Diego Valor, indeed!

‡        Oh, don’t even get me started, Debbi!   First off?   He’s endorsed Boris Johnson as Tory party leader: against all diplomatic convention.   THEN, after a meeting with the Cabinet?   At the press conference, he told us nothing was off the table — including the NHS — in any post-Brexit Anglo-American deal.   Which he immediately retracted, the day after.   Most of the ministers at the meeting launched a backlash.   Labour kicked off.   EVERYONE kicked off.   My thinking?   The guy can fuck off.   Privatising the NHS, any one aspect, is a no-go, as far as I’m concernedª.   (I know many in the US support the idea of private medical treatment: as it keeps taxes down.   I think I’m typical of most of the UK.   Universal healthcare is what’s tax money’s for.   Sorry, you’ve hit a tender subject.)

^        The subtitles definitely got the spelling wrong!


ª        Just to give you an idea, Debbi?   If I’ve got it right, treating for the stroke you had, back in the day, and treatment for your dystonia?   Would be on the NHS.

5 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

(1)1944 (2) airborne assault(3) the English Channel (4) tanks (5)Lieutenant Colonel Terence Otway
LOl, them jokes made me smile thanks :)

trev-v said...

Ah The Mekon brings back many childhood memories. He was the arch enemy of Dan Dare (Pilot of the Future). This was on the front and back pages of the Eagle comic when I was a kid It was in full colour.

I now have 13 volumes of the 12 volume series of books containing facsimiles of these pages. The reason that i have 13 is that I have the first volume in paper back and hard back. all the rest are hard back only.

Here from the Dan Dare web site is a write up on the Mekon.

http://www.dandare.org/dan/aliens/mekon.htm


He is a bit like the Daleks in Dr Who. He like them keep re-appearing in many stories.

Olga said...

Q1) 1944
Q2) amphibious assault
Q3) The English Channel
Q4) tanks
Q5) Lieutenant General Sir Miles Dempsey
No, I can't say I know Diego Valor, but it was before my time, anyway. We were more into TV by the time I was a child, already, although my family has always liked the radio, but not probably the kind of thing that would have appealed to me as a girl... (I've always been a big reader). I can't remember the comics, either, but, again, by the time I was old enough I'm sure they would have been difficult to get hold of.
I remember using iTunes a long while back because, if I remember Coca-cola or something was giving free songs with their drinks packs, and you had to use iTunes to get them, but once my cousin checked my old computer and told me how much memory iTunes was sucking, we got rid of it and I've avoided it ever since.

Nik Nak said...

I know, Trevor.

Don’t forget, 2000AD did a revamped version of Dan Dare, in their early days: something I can remember, dimly.

The artwork was something else: Massimo Belardinelli, and Dave Gibbons: two of the comic’s finest … !

Debbi said...

I am with you on this, Paul! Believe me!

Having a system that's not privatized is a good thing.

I'm glad to hear the National Health covers my condition.

I'm lucky we have insurance. Not everyone is so lucky. Hopefully, they'll fix ObamaCare, rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater.

1. 1944
2. amphibious assault
3. the English Channel
4. tanks
5. Sir Miles Dempsey