Monday, 9 September 2019

Chernobyl — Series 1 Episode 1: 1:23:45 — A Review

9th September, 2019.


OK … 

I have to confess, I was complaining, this morning.



That there was nothing good on TV.

Well … 


There’s possibly plenty.

But nothing that had been grabbing me.

Given I’d had a quiet day?



Doing nothing more than light shopping, cleaning, laundry — oh boy, laundry — and filming for the blog.

Oh … 

And sorting out an issue with the benefit office: they want me to go into for a meeting.



Except, of course, the central office has told me it’s at the benefit office around the corner from me … 



Which, I was informed last week, was shut last Friday.



Apparently?

The new office is in the town hall … 

Where do I go … ?


I think I’ll have to make phone calls … 

~≈¥≈~



That, of course … ?



Is sort of beside the point.

I wanted TV … 



I wanted TV, tonight … 



And think I found an interesting little historical thriller.



Chernobyl … 

~≈¥≈~

Episode 1: 1:23:45 opens two years after the disaster at Chernobyl: introducing us to Valery Legasov (Jared Harris): who, after recording a set of tapes blaming the disaster on named workers at the plant?

Hangs himself.

Two years earlier?

We’re introduced to Vasily Ignatenko (Adam Nagaitis), and his wife, Lyudmilla (Jessie Buckley) … 



The latter?



Is watching a fire through her kitchen window: coming from the local power plant.

At the plant?

Anatoly Dyatlov (Paul Ritter) is the man in charge of Reactors Three and Four.



And, despite the evidence — and his staff — telling him the reactor four is burning down?

Is complete dismissive of what’s happening.

What’s he’s ignoring … ?



Is looking serious … 

~≈¥≈~

Now … I’ll happily admit to being knackered enough, at the moment, to want to hit the sack.


And to not usually being a fan of historical drama.



Episode one of Chernobyl, with visions of how a government — during my own lifetime — badly failed its people?



With a superb ensemble cast, with a very understated soundtrack?

Is looking like like interesting viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.