Wednesday 18 September 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 18th September, 2019.

19th September, 2019.


Yep: I’m back at work, today.

And … vaguely looking forward to it.

If, for no other reason, than it gets me out of the house.

And, theoretically?   Fitter.

It’s all that walking!

~≈†≈~

Either way?

It means that I’ll not be watching TV, tonight.

Which is a mixed bag.

After all, I’ve now finished watching Chernobyl.

That’s a series I can’t help but recommend to you.

It’s … 

Well … 

Go watch the thing: the way the thing’s been shot is something else.

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Badwolf†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Nerva was named as Roman Emporer: on 18th September, AD96.   Nerva was the first emperor of which dynasty?
Q2) The Royal Opera House opened on 18th September, 1809.  Was this the first, second or third building on the site?
Q3) Which country of the UK voted against independence on 14th September, 2014?
Q4) 18th September, 1905, saw the birth of actress, Greta Garbo.   Which of her films was advertised with the tagline, “Garbo talks”?
Q5) 18th September, 1972, saw refugees staring to arrive in the UK.   Refugees from which African nation?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 17th September saw the founding of the city of Boston.   The Boston … in which US state?
Q2) The city was founded in which year?
A2) 1630.
Q3) It was named after the English city of Boston.   That Boston’s in which English county?
Q4) According to Boston’s Office of Neighborhood Services, the city has how many distinct neighbourhoods: 22, 23 or 24?
A4) Twenty-three. (23).
Q5) Finally … ?   The small city of Cambridge is part of the Boston Metropolitan area: and contains the USA’s oldest Universities.   Which Ivy League University does that include?
A5) Harvard.   (The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is also in Cambridge: but NOT Ivy League.)
Here’s a thought …
“I never said, ‘I want to be alone.’ I only said, ‘I want to be let alone!’ There is all the difference.”
Greta Garbo, 18 September 1905 – 15 April 1990.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Always the way, Olga: the money issue’s a big one.   The government’s just announced that foreign students can stay longer.   That may help attract fees, and funding.   But what do I know?   I do know the various semaphores and telegraphs could build up one HELL of a speed: not quite on a par with some systems, today, but extremely good.   I think one set up could get messages from London to Portsmouth in under eight minutes!   That’s better than my phone, some days!   (Remind me to visit Boston, sometimes … !)

†        Deliveries, hey, Anne?   I know a friend of mine was waiting for his new Apple BT, yesterday.   Not sure if it turned up, though … !   I hope yours get’s through!

‡        Blimey!   There’s another one for my wish list, Debbi!   I’m just settling into Olaf Stapledon’s Odd John, though.   It looks interesting … !   Oh, and I’ve finished Chernobyl.   That is one HELL of a series!   (I’ll HAVE to remember that: hah VARD … !)

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Nervan-Antonine
Q2) The third
Q3) Scotland
Q4) Anna Christie
Q5) Uganda
At the time I was at university they charged foreign students around three times the fees of home students (I think slightly more for postgraduate students). I remember the first year of my PhD I was sharing a university flat, right at the seafront, in Brighton, with 5 students from elsewhere (Mexico, Japan, Canada, South Africa... Two were Japanese). I was a home student, as such, and I was the only one who got the room with a view (it was nice but not a great advantage as the seafront was always noisy), and they were not best pleased. (I later got a scholarship, so in effect, I didn't have to pay fees, but that's another story). To be fair, we got on well and there were no problems at all in that apartment, considering we were from all over. I cannot say the same for when I share with two British students and a Swedish girl (the two British students couldn't stand each other).
I hope work isn't too hard today.

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

Nervan-Antonine,3rd, Scotland, Scotland,Uganda,
Nope my delivery never turned up, so hopefully today it does lol

trev-v said...

The Boston in England is only a Town. At the time of my birth it was in Holland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parts_of_Holland). I was born in the Parts of Lindsey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindsey,_Lincolnshire).

Debbi said...

And very nasal. Think JFK and then some. :)

1. Nervan-Antonine
2. second
3. Scotland
4. Anna Christie
5. Uganda