Monday 23 September 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 23rd September, 2019.

23rd September, 2019.


Yes: I’ve got a last bit of benefit in my bank account.

And yes: I’ve been doing something else, as well.

I’ve been taking soundings.

About the Christmas present, in case you were following my posts for the past few days.

From what I can see, the Chromecast seems to be the preferred option: mostly due to the range of apps that can stream from a phone to the device.

I’m glad to hear it: it gives me a better idea of what’s wanted … 

~≈ß≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 23rd September is the Roman Catholic Feast day of Zechariah.   He’s the father of which Biblical figure?
Q2) 23rd September, 1987, saw Australian courts lift a ban on publication of the book, Spycatcher.   Spycatcher was written by Peter Wright: a former member of what: MI5, MI6, the KGB or GCHQ?
Q3) Nintendo was founded on 23rd September, 1889.   Originally to sell the decks of Japanese playing cards cards called Hanafuda.   How many cards are in a Hanafuda deck: 48, 52 to 56?
Q4) The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts opened on 23rd September, 1962.   In which US city?
Q5) 23rd September, 1215, saw the birth of Kublai Khan.   According to the Coleridge poem, the Khan built a pleasure dome … where?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) The UK’s oldest continuously operating cinema — the Duke of York’s Picture House — opened on 22nd September, 1910.   Which English city is the Picture House in?
A1) Brighton.
Q2) A ‘double flash’ took place on 22nd September, 1979: near the Prince Edward Islands.   The flash is thought to be what: a nuclear test, an exploding whale, or an oil rig fire?
A2) A nuclear test.
Q3) 22nd September is the feast day of Saint Maurice.   He’s a patron saint of where: Austria, Australia or Abyssinia?
A3) Austria.
Q4) ITV, the UK’s first commercial TV station, started broadcasts on 22nd September, 1955.   The first ad the station aired was for what: cheese, toothpaste or moisturiser?
A4) Toothpaste.   Gibbs SR, in fact.   Cue Poly and the gang.   Germfree Adolescents is possibly the only song to mention toothpaste …
Q5) Gene Tunney won the controversial Long Count boxing match: on 22nd September, 1927.   Who did he beat?
Here’s a thought …
“It turned out that a rattler had been, like, this far away from me, as we were shooting. And nobody cut and had me move! Colm just got up and got out of the way, they got the kid out of the way, and nobody said word one to me! Can you imagine?”
Rosalind Chao^, (Star Trek’s Keiko O’Brien, born 23rd Sept. 1957) on filming one of those really awkward scenes.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Morning, Anne!   How was the weekend?

†        That’s OK, Olga: I THINK we’ve reached a consensus!   And I can get Amazon Prime on my Apple TV.   If you’ve got a local equivalent to CeX, they should be able to give you a price for it: assuming it can work with Spanish power cords.   Do a factory reset, though: that should reset it to the local Amazon.   Now … can you remind me to sit down with Bowling for Columbine?   Debbi keeps encouraging me to watch a Michael Moore documentary, and I’ve never managed it!   (Sounds like you had a nicer day than we did: we got rain.   As for cinemas?   One of these days, Brentwood Council’s going to get off its collective rear and approve one!)

‡        I’ve got TickTock Man on my wish list, Debbi: along side one or two other things … !   (I’m half convinced Wyndham based the look of the Midwich Cuckoos on John …)


^        The Star Trek franchise has a Chinese American playing a Japanese person.   They’ve done it before: they’ve got an Englishman playing a Frenchman.   

3 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

John Baptist,M15,48,New York City.Xanadu
The weekend has gone good, doing a lot of work on my website, on the timeline on History of Horror.

Olga said...

Q1) John the Baptist
Q2) MI5
Q3) 48
Q4) New York (It’s well worth a visit, although I’ve never been lucky enough to watch a performance there)
Q5) In Xanadu
There are equivalent shops to Cex, but the problem is the model of stick I have does not work here (only an older model does here. After trying everything and checking with Amazon themselves, that's the answer and there was no indication that the newer model would ever work here, so there's no point trying to sell it here because it doesn't work, and... Anyway). It's not a problem with the plug itself (yes, that would be easy to sort out)but with the software.
I'm pleased you got an answer now.
Have a good week.

Debbi said...

I have a TBR list that I'll never finish in my lifetime, I'm sure. :)

1. John the Baptist
2. MI5
3. 48
4. New York
5. In Xanadu

Which reminds me, if you're in the mood for a great classic film, you should see Citizen Kane. Even if you do know the ending, which I'm sure was thoroughly spoiled well before social media even existed! :)