Friday 27 September 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27th September, 2019.

27th September, 2019


Yes: I’ve got an earworm going through my head.

And, yes: it’s from Japan’s only heavy metal Idoru band, Babymetal … 



Why it’s been banging through my head over night?

I really don’t know.

I’m just — still — wondering why on Earth the band have a state of the Virgin Mary at the back of the stage … ?

~≈®≈~

If you’re in the UK, you’re possibly aware of the Brexit situation.

One thing that caught me?

Was Boris’s Johnson’s recent statement in Parliament: saying that best way to honour the late Jo Cox, MP, was to “get Brexit done.”

Personally?

I felt that was a bit nasty.   Especially as Jo Cox was killed because she was openly supporting remain.

The other?   Was and is the various reports that various MPs are being targeted — by hardline left and right wingers — with … …

Let’s call them threats of violence.

What really caught my eye?

Were comments from controversial government advisor, Dominic Cummings: that anger at MPs was “… not surprising.”

He’s right, there, I think: even though he’s not the type of person I’d agree with.

What’s worrying me, here, though?

Is this.

We in Britain aren’t usually ones for violence.

Oh, we’ve had small scale violent behaviour: for years.

We’re a passionate people: up to and beyond the point of fatalities, at times.

What worries me?

Is this … 

Will we get violent enough to start killing … ?   To start a violent, mass uprising?   One with fatalities?

God, I hope not.

That’s really not a country I want to live in.

~≈®≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Badwolf*, Olga†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) The Society of Jesus received its official charter: on 27th September, 1540.   The Society is better known, as who?
Q2) 27th September, 1822, saw Jean-François Champollion announce he’d deciphered the Rosetta Stone.   Name either one of the two languages seen on the stone.   (Either one of the two languages.   I don’t want the name of the three writing systems: just the name of one of the languages.)
Q3) Urban 7th, the pope with the shortest reign in history, died on 27th September, 1590.   For how many days did his reign last: 11, 13 or 17 days?
Q4) The Tripartite Pact was signed: on 27th September, 1940.   Name any one of the three nations who signed that pact.
Q5) Finally … ?   The People’s Republic of China started using what, on the 27th September, 1949?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 26th September, 1953, saw the end of the rationing of what, in the UK: tea, coffee or sugar?
A1) Sugar.
Q2) British troops retreated from which Dutch town: on 26th September, 1944?
A2) Arnhem.
Q3) The Chernobyl Nuclear power plant opened on 25th September, 1977.   It’s in what’s now which country?
A3) Ukraine.
Q4) An agreement was signed between the UK and China: on 26th September, 1984.   An agreement about the handover of what?
A4) Hong Kong.
Q5) Finally … ?   26th September, 1888, saw the birth of T. S. Eliot.   In which year did he receive the Nobel Prize for Literature?
A5) 1948.
Here’s a thought …
“The central function of imaginative literature is to make you realize that other people act on moral convictions different from your own.”
From Milton’s God, by William Empson, 27 September 1906 – 15 April 1984.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Yes, I got your message, Anne: I hope it goes well!   Make sure you get a really good router!   (My BT one’s a git, sometimes.)


†        Elroy’s another one I keep thinking I should check out, Olga!   “Amusing and he knows it?”   That’s SO like Jude … !   I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a film about the Black Dahlia: it’s possibly America’s best known unsolved murder!   Right at the tail end of the 1940s, and ripe for lurid headlines … !   (Actually, the gift voucher’s definitely a good idea.   Jude was over, last night.   And fascinated by a game I have on my Mac: turns out it’s on the PS4, as well.)


‡        Oh, yes!   That’s a thought, Debbi: was it you that Tweeted the lurid Odd John cover?   I posted it to an SF group I’m a member of, and it’s getting comments.   About Mike Pence.   😂   I just wish I could find the link to it … !

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Jesuits
Q2) Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Greek
Q3) 13 days
Q4) Germany
Q5) Their new flag… The National Flag of the People’s Republic of China, by its official name
I know what you mean about possible violence. I am wondering about it here. They (sorry, I mean the central government, but I know that's a matter of opinion) handling things pretty badly and one can't help but wonder if they are not trying to provoke something that would justify intervention (not the same situation there, but some people, especially politicians, can misjudge how volatile a situation truly is).
Yes, the Black Dahlia is a very famous (read infamous) case. Ellroy's own mother was raped and murdered when he was a child and I think that goes some way to explain his interest in the subject, although he's more interested in historical fiction (but yes, with crime and police investigation driving the action). I remember I really enjoyed LA Confidential, and it seems that Ellroy said he liked it when it was first released, but now he's changed his tune. (I guess that gives people something to talk about...) But, I'd happily go to see him talk again. And I must catch up on his books, but they are so long (and I've read it's best not to start by the most recent ones, although chronologically they are the first ones...) I hope you find the right answer to the gift conundrum. I remember seeing an offer for Apple gift cards in Tesco once (you got three £15 for the price of two), and decided to buy them as a present for the teenage daughter of a friend of mine, and they were a big success. (When she was younger I knew what she liked, but at that age, I no longer dared to guess).

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

Jesuits,Ancient Greek,13 days,Germany,The Flag the design ofZeng Liansong's
Erm all done the my modem is so far so good, what a carry on I had, by miracle my virgin media phone must had fault as line was not cut of at midnight of 26th, It was on and just as well as I needed it to contact Talk Talk over four times to aks where the Hell they were there, fours late they were due to God knows whatat one point said they were sure they could do it till Monday diue to an issue unrelated to me.

Debbi said...

That is quite the cover, isn't it? :)

1. Jesuits
2. Greek
3. 13
4. Germany
5. Maoism (??)