Friday 13 September 2019

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 13th September, 2019.

13th September, 2019.


Argh!   I’m officially getting beeped at, in today’s intro video.

But isn’t that always the way?

Technology’s getting noisier, I swear blind it is!

At any rate, that’s rather besides’s the point.

Today … ?

Today, I get to spend the last bit of a recent tax rebate … 

And go shopping … 

~≈¥≈~

Oh, and on top of that … ?

I’ve got a meeting at the job centre, this afternoon.

Why — as I’ve been left two my own devices, for the past few weeks — I don’t know.

We’ll have to see.

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Badwolf†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with all three scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 13th September, 1501, saw Michelangelo begin which statue?
Q2) Hannibal Goodwin patented a form of photographic film: on 13th September, 1898.   His version was made from what: celluloid, bakelite or cheese?
Q3) 13th September, 1933, saw Elizabeth McCombs become the first woman elected to which country’s parliament?
Q4) A diplomat opened fire on the streets of London: on 13th September, 1988.   Where was he from?
Q5) Finally … ?   Which country left the Warsaw Pact: on 13th September, 1968?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 12th September is the accepted date for the Battle of Marathon.   But in which year: 490BC, 491BC or 492BC?
A1) 490BC.
Q2) The battle was between the Athenians, and an invasion force from where: Turkey, Persia or Syria?
A2) Persia.
Q3) Marathon itself, is in which country?
A3) Greece.
Q4) According to an old myth about the battle, news of the Athenian victory was taken home: by a runner called … what?
Q5) Finally … ?   The battle’s inspired a what: a race, a car or a zoo?
A5) A race**.
Here’s a thought …
“Living in age of advertisement, we are perpetually disillusioned. The perfect life is spread before us every day, but it changes and withers at a touch.”
J. B. Priestly, 13 September 1894 – 14 August 1984.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Cheers, Olga!   I always think a Caesar cut’s a bit dignified, given my shape!   And someone’s looking, good I know that!   😀   I have to admit, I did a few Vox Pops, at college: but that was a LONG time ago!   (Re the Discworld?   I have to admit, it sounds like the producers haven’t necessarily read the books.)


†        I’m going to have to have another look, Anne: I think I’ve missed it, again!   Which is me, all over!   Oh, I saw your Friday 13th tweet.   I think the 13th being unlucky is a hang-over from the Romans.   Beware the Ides of March, and all that!   Oh, and the Knights Templar were dissolved on a Friday 13th …


‡        Glad I got someone laughing, Debbi!   And you’re not the first person to mention how the skillsets in different forms of writing are different.   I met Storm Constantine, the fantasy writer, many years ago: and she said exactly the same thing when I asked her about turning some of her books into movies/TV shows.


**        There was also a chocolate bar, at one point … 

3 comments:

DEATH COMES TO US ALL said...

David, celluloid , New Zealand,Cuban diplomat, Albania Hope you have a great weekend I am gona try watch IT chapter 2

Olga said...

Q1) David (having seen it live, in Florence, a few years back, I must say it’s even more impressive than in the pictures I had seen. At the moment I’m translating a book about Leonardo Da Vinci, it’s fiction, and it’s quite funny and clever. In the book, the authorities ask Leonardo for his advice on where to place Michelangelo’s David, and he wants to hide it from publish sight. Well, in fact, the whole plot revolves around the idea that a man who looked exactly like Leonardo met him, became friends (and a bit more) with him, and when Leonardo died of the plague, took his place. The only problem is that he cannot paint to save his life, so most of the book he keeps having to find ways to get around that… I’ll keep you posted when it’s eventually published. It will be a while yet, but I think you’ll enjoy it).
Q2) celluloid
Q3) New Zealand (the New Zealanders always ahead on this respect).
Q4) Cuba
Q5) Albania
Good luck with the meeting today. (I saw your comment about Friday the 13th. I’m sure we’ve talked about that before, but here, in Spain, it’s Tuesday the 13th the day to be avoided).

Debbi said...

Mmm ... chocolate! :)

1. David
2. celluloid
3. New Zealand
4. Cuba
5. Albania