Sunday 15 March 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15th March, 2020.

15th March, 2020.


Yes: stuff is definitely occurring.

Just so you know.

I know that — here in the UK — there’s a lot of talk about the Corona Virus, COVID 19.

Frankly?   I’m caught between being concerned for those who are ill, annoyance that my local Sainsbury’s has seriously run out of cornflakes, and thinking it’s a bloody fuss over nothing!

I’m also very aware that this year’s local elections have bee postponed until 2021: as a result of the outbreak.

Part of me … ?   Thinks that’s a big fuss, too: whilst being very aware that it’s going to help prevent the spread.

Whilst another part?   Thinks that unscrupulous politicians could permanently postpone elections.

I’ve read enough history to know about the Reichstag Fire

~≈†≈~

On the the upside: something of a personal upside, but none the less, an upside … 

I ordered a copy of the soon to be released The Faceless Ones: one of the missing Dr Who stories to have been reconstructed.

It’s formally released, tomorrow.

And already been dispatched.


Given it’s been ordered from Amazon?

There’s a good chance it’ll get here, tonight … 

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 15th March, 1935, saw the birth of actor, Judd Hirsch.   In which series did he play Alex Rieger?
Q2) Somalia and Ethiopia sign a truce that ended Ethio-Somali War: on 15th March of which year?
Q3) 51 people were killed in an attack on a mosque in Christchurch: on 15th March, 2019.   Mosque, city and shootings were in which country?
Q4) 15th March, 1962, saw the birth of singer, Terence Trent D’arby.   What — in 2001 — did he change his name to … ?
Q5) Finally … ?  15th March, 1961, saw South Africa withdraw from the … what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 14th March saw the debut of The Mikado: in which year?
A1) 1885.
Q2) In which London theatre?
A2) The Savoy Theatre.
Q3) The Mikado is a what: opera, operetta or comic opera?
A3) A comic opera.
Q4) Who wrote The Mikado’s music?
Q5) Who wrote The Mikado’s libretto?
A5) Sir William Schwenk W. S. Gilbert.   (The libretto is the book: the text used for any kind of opera.)
Q6) Which impresario backed the pair: AND the opera?
Q7) The Mikado, himself?   Is a fictional version of which ruler?
A7) The Japanese Emperor.   (The role is traditionally sung by a bass, or bass-baritone.)
Q8) The Mikado’s son features in The Mikado.   What’s his name?
A8) Nanki Poo.
Q9) The Mikado’s son?   Is in love with whom?
A9) Yum Yum‡.
Q10) Finally … ?   The Mikado is set in a fictional town … called what?
A10) Titipu.   (Gilbert and Sullivan obviously speak fluent Japanese … )
Here’s a thought …
“Music is my therapy and my straitjacket. Music keeps me sane and keeps my mind on something. It's fragile up there.”
will.i.am, born March 15, 1975.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        I think we’re OK, Olga: son’t quote me on that, though!   I don’t think a mass gathering ban’s going to happen: there’s talk it might, plus the local election’s been postponed.   As I’m writing this?   Radio 4’s Broadcasting House is talking about making extra ventilators!   I’m just keeping my finger crossed for you and your mother!   If she’s anything like mine, she’ll possibly be annoyed, if she gets it!   At any rate … ?   There’s been a few cartoons!


†        Panicking is the last thing on my mind Debbi!   (You know, I forgot it was Pi Day: the other one’s in July, so I may have a chance to do something!).  Oh … there’s a poster doing the rounds … 


‡        Terry Pratchett’s Monstrous Regiment has a male character say, “You should see my Yum Yum.”   I laughed my head off … 

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Taxi
Q2) 1978
Q3) New Zealand
Q4) Sananda Maitreya
Q5) The Commonwealth
Now (well, from tomorrow) we're officially in lockdown, only people working in health settings or food shops or energy companies and emergency workers (and police, I guess) will be allowed out, and people will only be able to go out to buy food, go to the chemist or... to buy tobacco, it seems. I wonder what's going to happen with the homeless, and despite all this, they haven't completely closed the borders. What's the point of that? I'm with the Catalan president who's been asking to lock the whole place down and not get any more planes, ships and trains coming in. I'm sure they won't want to come either, but if you're going to go to such extremes, I can't see what's the point on half measures. A friend of mine is a nurse, in France, and she told me she was exposed and had to wear a mask and all that. She's fine, but...
Yes, my mother would be annoyed if she got it, but she thinks it's all a big fuss. One of my main problems is that I love to walk and I found it pretty relaxing and therapeutic, even, and I worry I might end up with cabin fever.
Keep well.

Debbi said...

I've seen that one before! :) The poster, of course.

1. Taxi
2. 1978
3. New Zealand
4. Sananda Maitreya
5. the British Commonwealth