7th March, 2020.
You know, it had to be said … I get into a funny mood, at times.
I’m out of a job: and suffered with depression, amongst other things.
And … ?
And, I’ve accidentally locked myself out of my Universal Credit account on top of everything else.
There’s possibly a long story, there.
On the up side … ?
I’ve satisfied myself that my new laptop — a second hand Thinkpad, running a version of Ubuntu MATE — can be used in the local library.
Or, at least, connected to their wi-fi.
I’ve more complaints about Catalina as a result.
Or, at least, Safari.
I’d suggest reading this afternoon’s post … if you’re curious.
~≈†≈~
At any rate … ?
I’ve been tinkering about with the new computer for a while …
But fancied catching a TV show … or possibly a movie.
I settled for a movie: the 2016 film, Spectral.
Whether I made a good decision is a whole other matter.
~≈†≈~
Set in Moldova, on the brink of a civil war, Spectral sees Dr Mark Clyne (James Badge Dale) sent to the country: as the one man who can help with a very obscure glitch … in camera equipment he originally designed.
According to General Orland, and CIA agent, Fran Madison (Bruce Greenwood, Emily Mortimer), the troops on the ground … ?
With the help of the googles supplied by Dr Clyne, the troops on the ground are seeing … things!
Things that the locals call … ghosts of war … !
With that level of gung-ho pretentiousness … ?
You can tell it’s going to end in tears, can’t you … ?
~≈†≈~
Now … what did I make of Spectral?
I have to say, sometimes an entertaining science fiction war film can be an entertaining watch.
At least, in theory.
The last one I can remember seeing?
Was the 2011 Battle: Los Angeles.
Which, from what I recall?
Was non-stop action, a waste of Aaron Eckhart’s talents …
And, frankly, a bit of a bore.
A bit of a one star bore, to be frank.
Spectral, on the other hand?
Is a bit better.
Not by much.
But, where Battle: Los Angeles was non-stop action with very little talk, Spectral at least tries to change gear, occasionally.
And — occasionally — has the brief stop for exposition.
Talking, in other words.
Usually so Dr Clyne can say something along the lines of ‘Wait! I have an idea!’
Which sounds … odd, now I see it written down.
At any rate?
Spectral isn’t necessarily stunning.
But the performances and writing are acceptable, the visuals — the ghosts in particular — are spectacular …
And it’s far more watchable than some movies I’ve seen.
Keep that in mind when you’re looking for movies …
Spectral★☆☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.