29th February, 2020.
It has to be said, it’s a spare Saturday evening.
No cash to go out, little to do if I did have cash …
And frankly … ?
A mood bordering on the thoughtful …
If nothing else … ?
I fancied a film.
I’ve a few sitting in my collection that needed viewing: and one or two had been suggested to me.
Teaser regular, Olga had suggested I Am Not A Serial Killer. Which was in the collection, at some point: but is maybe for another time.
The Girl on the Third Floor was another: I’d seen it float past on a Facebook group I belong to.
Possibly not …
Candyman? The 1992 horror film: a remake of which is due out this year … ?
Possibly: a post would get a lot of views …
But maybe not yet …
I finally … went with Terminator: Dark Fate.
Am I convinced … ?
~≈¥≈~
Terminator: Dark Fate opens in 1998: three years Terminator 2: Judgement Day: and sees Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) and her song John happily living in Guatemala … when John is attacked by a T-800 Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger).
A Terminator sent back by Skynet before its erasure: a Terminator that successfully completes its mission … of killing John Connor.
Years later, in 2020?
An advanced Revision 9 Terminator (Gabriel Luna) is back in time: to assassinate Dani Ramos (Natalia Reyes).
Whilst another time traveller, Grace (Mackenzie Davis) is sent back to protect Dani.
What neither know?
Is that:
- Sarah Connor is waiting for Terminators to arrive: so she can deal with them the only way she can.
- The Terminator that finally killed John Connor wants to atone by helping Dani.
This … ?
Could get nasty …
~≈¥≈~
Now …
Convinced … ? Impressed … ? Dare I say it, stunned?
Possibly … and possibly not.
Over all?
I have to say I wasn’t totally taken with Terminator: Dark Fate.
That acting’s good enough.
The writing? Ok.
The plot jogs along at an OK pace: even though there’s a plot hole or two.
Sarah is a self confessed wanted criminal in one, early, scene: wanted in all fifty US states.
And friendly enough with a senior military figure to ‘borrow’ some EMP weapons, later on.
Sarah is a self confessed wanted criminal in one, early, scene: wanted in all fifty US states.
And friendly enough with a senior military figure to ‘borrow’ some EMP weapons, later on.
The upside? The fight scenes and chases both well co-ordinated and beautiful to watch.
Gabriel Luna as the Rev 9 Terminator does very well …
And the effects — and design — for this version of 80s sf’s best know monsters? Design that lets the fluid ‘skin’ operate independently of the solid endo-skeleton?
Eye-popping.
That alone? Makes Terminator: Dark Fate just about watchable.
And leaves me wondering if I should have watch something else …
Terminator: Dark Fate.
★☆☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.