Thursday 26 March 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26-3-2020: Bangladesh

26th March, 2020.


Ha … !

I think I need a haircut.

No, scrub that: I know I do.

I got paid on Monday morning: and frankly, could’ve got one then.

It did occur to me … but I put it off.

Monday night … ?

The lockdown commenced … and lock hairdressers shut … 

Hey … 

Ho … !

~≈†≈~

According to Radio 4’s Today programme?

The UK’s probation service is drastically altering the way it works: and not seeing many different types of criminal, face to face.

I can appreciate that.

But some of the one’s they’re not seeing?

Are domestic abusers … and registered sex offenders.

I can appreciate why it’s being done: similar circumstances apply to the Job Centres.

But?

Well … I can’t help but think that’ll kick us in the teeth, one day.

~≈†≈~

As a last thought … ?   There’s a message …


~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Bangladesh declared itself independent on 26th March of which year: 1970, 1971 or 1972?
Q2) From where?
Q3) What was Bangladesh called at the time?
Q4) What was the Bangladeshi capital: at the time of the Declaration?
Q5) What is the capital city: at the time of writing?   (March 6th, so you know.)
Q6) What’s the official language of Bangladesh?
Q7) In the historic country, and in modern Bangladesh, what’s the majority religion: Christianity, Jainism or Islam?
Q8) Pre-Independence?   Bangladesh’s currency was the Rupee.   What’s the modern Bangladeshi currency?
Q9) The Pre-Independence flag featured a white moon on a green background.   The current flag features a red circle on what colour background?
Q10) Finally … ?   The name, Bangladesh, means ‘the country of’ what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 25th March is the Feast of the Annunciation.   It’s also known — in many English speaking countries — as which L?
A1) Lady Day.
Q2) The Feast marks the visit of an archangel … to which virgin?
A2) The Virgin Mary.
Q3) Which Archangel?
A3) Gabriel.
Q4) The visit is the source of which Roman Catholic prayer: the Angelus, Hail Mary or Prayer of the Blessed Virgin?
A4) The Ave Maria, or Hail Mary.   And, as it turned out?  The Angelus!
Q5) Finally … ?   The Feast was first mentioned at the Council of where: Toledo, Trent or Worcester?
A5) Toledo.
Here’s a thought …
“When Bangladesh refused to renew my passport, I used U.N. travel documents. You can’t disown your country.”
Taslima Nasrin.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        Yeah, I’ve worked that out with the first batch, Trevor‡.   Mind you, the one I had last night … ? I had to hammer the breadknife through it … !   I’m hoping the baking spud sized ones won’t be as tough!

†        Sounds even better, Debbi‡!   As for the urine sample?   Thankfully, I got let off: my next appointment’s in three months time.   Hopefully, the Corona virus will have blown over, by then!

‡        I was seriously thinking of scoring you both at four out of five.   I know Trevor will possibly give me an argument: but apparently, the Angelus has its origins in 11th century monastic traditions, involving reciting the Ave Maria three times.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Hi, Paul:
Just to let you know, although if everything had been all right (i.e. no coronavirus) we would be finishing our course tomorrow, now with the new situation, Cambridge University have agreed to us doing the teaching online, so we will be doing that from Monday for the next two weeks (we'll do three hours each, divided in 4 45 min slots). In theory, we might have a bit more time, because we won't have classes in the afternoons (the normal lessons will finish tomorrow) but they've advised us to meet online and practise, as it is quite different to our experience teaching in class. So I'm not sure if I'll have any extra time or not from next week onwards, although we will finish on the 9th (in fact, my last lesson should be on the 8th, but I'll have to be there for feedback and observation on the 9th).
So my disappearance might last a bit longer, although, in theory, we'd done all the preparation beforehand, but now we have to adapt it to online. Wish me luck! And keep safe! And regards to Debbi!

Debbi said...

You ask some tough questions, Paul. And I'm a professionally-trained researcher. Lord! :)

1. 1971
2. Pakistan
3. Bengal
4. Dhaka City
5. Dacca
6. Bengali
7. Islam
8. Bangladeshi taka
9. green
10. Bengal

Not terribly original. That last one. :)

I've published a letter to my congressional reps as part of Virtual Dystonia Advocacy Day/Week on one of my blogs. Three guesses which and the first two don't count! :)

David said...

Almost forgot! Almost bed time.
1. 1971
2. Pakistan
3. East Pakistan
4. Dhaka
5. Dhaka
6. Bengali
7. Islam
8. Bangladeshi taka
9. Green
10. Bengal