Saturday 28 March 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 28-3-2020: The Number 28.

28th March, 2020.


Yes: it’s now Saturday … and day whatever-it-is of the lock down.

I can officially go out: mostly where I’ve got some medication to pick up.

Oh, and can you remind me to buy bin bags?

I’m running out of bin bags … !

Ye gods!   I started this blog, many years ago, to help my fellow pub quiz masters find question sets … 

And know I’m asking people to remind me to buy bin bags!

Given that I almost spelt ‘remind’ as ‘remand’ … ?

Given that, I think the sooner this is over, the better!

~≈†≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) Today’s the 28th of March.   Twenty-eight is atomic mass of which chemical element?
Q2) Twenty-eight is atomic number of which chemical element?
Q3) Traditionally?   It takes what, twenty-eight days to cure: cheddar, concrete or oak?
Q4) 28BC saw the Emperor of Rome start a census of the Empire.   Which Emperor: Augustus, Tiberius or Caligula?
Q5) Twenty-eight is a what shaped number: square, circular or triangular?
Q6) Twenty-eight is a card game from where: Niger, Bangladesh or India?
Q7) What’s 28 … in Roman Numerals?
Q8) There are twenty-eight Hebrew letters in the first verse of the Bible.   That verse is in which book of the Bible?
Q9) What was the twenty-eighth state to join the USA?
Q10) Finally … ?  28000 to 28999 are the postcodes for the part of Spain surrounding which city?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 27th March is World Theatre Day: according to the International Theatre Institute.   Theatre is a performing … what?
Q2) Kabuki, noh and kyōgen are forms of theatre from which country?
A2) Japan.
Q3) Agathon, Euripides and Hipparchus were playwrights from Ancient … where?
A3) Ancient Greece.   (Euripides trousers, you mend a these trous … no, never mind.)
Q4) Most traditional Chinese theatre is what: opera, mime or ballet?
A4) Opera.   (Western style plays only arrived in the 20th Century.)
Q5) Finally?   The Theatre, the Curtain and the Globe, were theatres that staged whose plays?
Here’s a thought …
“… being 28 is like being a brand new, beginner’s level gymnast, perilously seesawing between “real” adulthood and (what feel like) the last crumbs of your true youth.”
Joseph Ejiro.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.





*        Suitably corrected, Trevor.   Oh, the FB group I mentioned has a local WhatsApp group: just in case you HAVE got a smart phone!

†        Oh, blimey, the interview: it didn’t go well, Debbi, they were looking for people more local to them!   Oh, well, maybe next time … 

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Silicon
Q2) Nickel
Q3) concrete
Q4) Augustus
Q5) triangular
Q6) India
Q7) XXVIII
Q8) Genesis 1:1
Q9) Texas
Q10) Madrid
I seem to be missing much of the fun, Paul (I mean from the blog. We've been stuck indoors here for a while, as you know, although the course has kept me busy). Remember the bin bags. I think once we get going next week I'll have a better idea of how things go. I hope the online setting might make them more forgiving with mistakes, etc. (after all, even tutors are not very used to it, so it's all fairly new). The teaching sessions are in the morning and we've been advised to do trial sessions with the other trainees in the afternoon. I've been checking to see if I could find a set of headphones with a microphone to improve the quality of the sound (I thought I had one but it seems I must have given it away), but at this point there's no guarantee of delivery times when buying online, and only food shops are open, so they are unlikely to get here before I need to use them. I know they will be handy in the future, but in that case, I'd much rather wait (fingers crossed) and check in person. My experience with headphones is that many of them feel uncomfortable after a while, although I haven't used them with microphones (only a pair I had that I wasn't impressed with)... Oh, we'll see. Take lots of care.

trev-v said...

My cellphone is a good old Nokia 108 on a pay as you go plan. Voice text and pictures , when i buy a memory card.
I have never been one to get the very latest of any thing.

A1 Silicon (the true atomic mass is 28.0855)

A2 Nickel

A3 Concrete

A4 Augustus

A5 triangular

A6 India

A7 XXVIII

A8 The book of Genesis

A9 Texas

A10 Madrid


Debbi said...

I'm so sorry. Better luck next time! And it's their loss, right? :)

1. silicon
2. nickel
3. concrete
4. Tiberius
5. triangular
6. India
7. XXVIII
8. Genesis
9. Texas
10. Madrid

I can't believe how fast I can type with one hand and my pinkie! LOL