Friday 11 November 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 11-11-2022: Armistice Day.

11th November, 2022: Armistice Day.


Yes: I’m mildly hungry.

Hungry, up early … and drinking as much water as possible.

In other words, I’m doing the usual basic stuff I have to do: as preparation for my quarterly diabetic blood tests.

It’s a much needed check.

But I’m looking forward to food!

~≈®≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum* and Olga† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        11th November is marked as Armistice Day: in the UK, and many other countries.   Many will be wearing a commemorative what: rose, orchid or poppy?

Q2)        The Armistice, itself, was signed between the Allies.   And where else: Germany, France or the US?

Q3)        The Armistice marked the end of hostilities, where: the Western Front, Eastern Front or Africa?

Q4)        The Armistice was signed at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.   In which French commune: Lyon, Compiègne or Marseille? 

Q5)        Finally … ?   Henry Gunther is said to be the last soldier to die during the War: at 10.59am, a minute before the Armistice took hold.   Which country’s army was he with: the German, US or British?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        10th November saw the birth of actor, Richard Burton.   In which year of the 1920s?
A1)        1925.

Q2)        Who was Burton married to … twice?
A2)        Elizabeth Taylor.

Q3)        He played Mark Antony opposite that wife.   In a 1963 film about whom: Cleopatra, Livia or Juliet?
A3)        Cleopatra: in the film Cleopatra.

Q4)        1977 saw Burton playing Dr Martin Dysart.   In which Peter Shaffer penned film: The Royal Hunt of the Sun, Equus or Amadeus?
A4)        Equus.

Q5)        Finally … ?   1954 saw Burton recording a radio version of Dylan Thomas’ Under Milk Wood. For whom: the BBC, Capital Radio or the Mercury Radio Theatre?
A5)        The BBC.   “It is spring, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, the cobblestreets silent and the hunched, courters’-and-rabbits’ wood limping invisible down to the sloeblack, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboatbobbing sea.”   You can only do it in a Welsh accent.
Here’s possibly the only music we could play …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

        ‘Mess,’ is a nice way of putting it, Olga.   Lord Wolfson certainly didn’t help!   Talking of a mess?   The Just Stop Oil protestors have announced they’re going to halt protests.   That’s a result!
        I’ll have to keep an eye open for those, Olga: the Troubles shaped the way the UK is.   Still shape, I should say.   Did you eve see a film called ’71?   It’s a fascinating watch.

5 comments:

Freda said...

1 Poppy
2 Germany
3 Western front
4 Compirgne
5 USA

Olga said...

Q1) Poppy

Q2) Germany

Q3) the Western Front

Q4) Compiègne

Q5) US
Oh, well, some good news then, about the demonstrations. Here, the one on Monday seems to still be going ahead, although it is not the majority of lorry drivers, but they are enough to cause chaos nonetheless.
No, I haven't watched '71, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. I have now read the bit of the book about Bloody Sunday. It is a tough read, but I'll let you know what I think about the whole book when I finish (I am truly enjoying it, well, if that is the right word, so far). The Ghosts of Riots Past.

Olga said...

Oh, and good luck with the tests!

Debbi said...

I'm sorry I seem to have missed yesterday's teaser. What a week it's been. :)

Just getting my book out in print feels like a major accomplishment!

1. poppy
2. Germany
3. the Western Front
4. Compiégne
5. the US

Debbi said...

Oh, and I missed a Richard Burton teaser!

I'm a huge fan. Have been since I was 12 years old and saw him in Beckett!

I think I likely had a mild crush on him. :)