Monday 21 November 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21-11-2022 — Björk.

21st November, 2022: Björk … !


Right … it’s officially that time of fortnight, again!

I’ve got to go an meet my Job Centre Case worker, today.

One thing I need to tell him?

Is that Restart, the work scene I’m one, haven’t agree to get a passport for: my Restart worker’s just going to talk to her managers.

We’ll have to see what happens there, I think.

~≈fi≈~

I’ve got type two diabetes: in case you couldn’t tell.

So I keep my eyes on any news about it, and type one.

Recently?

It seems that a new medication for type one diabetes has been approved for use in the US.

One that — if I’ve understood the news report correctly — helps stops a body’s immune system attacking the pancreas: boosting the body’s production of insulin* in the process.

It sounds like it could be very use for those who have the condition.

Can it be used for type two?

I don’t know: but suspect not.

If I’ve understood things correctly, the two conditions are very different to each other: and to gestational diabetes.

So I’d not be surprised if it can’t.

But?   Hopefully, there’s something equally radical around the corner for us.

~≈fi≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

The day also saw Trevor^ leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        Björk was born on 21st November.   Of which year of 1960s?

Q2)        She was born in Iceland: in the capital.   What IS that capital?

Q3)        Björk was the lead singer of which band: the Sugarcubes, Sugarbabes or Sugar Daddies?

Q4)        One of her early hits — Big Time Sensuality — reached number 17 in the UK.   In which year of the 1990s: 1991, 1992 or 1993?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Björk’s biggest UK hit was It’s Oh So Quiet.   Who directed the video for It’s Oh So Quiet: Spike Jonze, Spike Lee or Spike Milligan?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        20th November is the feast day of Saint Bernward of Hildesheim.   He’s a patron saint of whom: painters, bishops or cesspit cleaners?
A1)        Painters.

Q2)        Diocletian was named as Roman Emperor: on 20th November, 284AD.   He re-organised the Roman Empire so that it was ruled by four emperors ruling four parts of the Empire.   In a system known as the what: Triad, Tetrarchy or Pentateuch?
A2)        The Tetrarchy.   (A Triad is either a three note chord or a group of Chinese gangsters.   The Pentateuch are the first five books of the Old Testament. )

Q3)        The Lusaka Protocol was signed on 20th November, 1994.   It helped end a civil war, where: Angola, Burundi or Chad?
A3)        Angola.

Q4)        Actress, Ming-Na Wen, was born on 19th November, 1963.   She plays Fennec Shand in which TV show: The Book of Boba Fett, Young Sheldon or Velma?
A4)        The Book of Boba Fett.

Q5)        Finally … ?   20th November, 1956, saw the birth of actress Bo Derek.   She plays Jane Parker in which 1981 film: The Evil Dead, Pennies from Heaven or Tarzan, the Ape Man?
A5)        Tarzan, the Ape Man.
Here’s a thought …
“They got the finger pointed at the computers like, ‘There’s no soul here.’   You can’t blame the computer.   If there’s not soul in the music, it’s because nobody put it there.   And it’s not the tool’s fault.”
Björk.
And a playlist …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Insulin is the hormone that allows the blood to absorb glucose: sugar, in other words.   If your body isn’t producing insulin, you have Type 1 diabetes, and need to take insulin to survive.   If your body isn’t producing enough insulin, you have Type 2 diabetesª: and need to take medications that boost its production.

        I get the impression, Olga, that Bo Derek got hired … whenever a director needed someone who looked good in a bikini.   There’s probably a word for it.
        The funny thing about the Trump poll?   It broadly came out 52% for, versus 48% against.   Those figures sound vaguely familiar: as Saturday’s Today presenters mentioned.
        Oh … there’s talk that the government wants a Swiss style EU deal.   One that allows for freedom of movement.   Apparently, some Tory MPs aren’t happy.   I, as a Remainer?   Am thinking “I told You So.”
        Cheers: I THINK I’m going to need luck: it HAS thrown up some helpful comments!   And talking about THAT movie … ?   Keep your eyes peeled for the 26th November.

        I think they’re using the same effects, Debbi: and there’s a similar on Father Abraham’s Smurf Song.   Although possibly with different settings: the Smurfs don’t sound quite so squeaky!
        Oh, did I mention All Those Who Wander, the recent episode of Star Trek Strange New Worlds?   It’s another good one!

^        Mines a pint, in that case Trevor!   (I managed to win a tenner, last week: just About enough for a sandwich.)

ª        Apparently?   One symptom of type two diabetes is ‘losing weight without trying to.’   Why the hell did I not end up with that one?

4 comments:

Nik Nak said...

Oh, that’s a thought, Debbi, I notice Michael J. Fox earns a life time achievement award.

Freda said...

1 1967
2

Olga said...

Q1) 1965 (She is a few months younger than me. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad news for both of us, as I don’t think I’ve seen her in quite a long while).

Q2) Reykjavík

Q3) the Sugarcubes

Q4) The song is from 1993, although in the Wikipedia article for the song itself it mentioned it reached number 17 in the UK in 1994, but as that is not an option and can’t find it anywhere else, I’ll go with 1993

Q5) Spike Jonze
I remember watching Dancer in the Dark with lots of reservations, mainly because Björk was on it, and I loved it! It is weird as hell, especially for a musical, but it is absolutely fabulous, and it has a very dark sense of humour. Mind you, the director has pulled even more impressive stunts over the years.
Yes, I've read about that medication as well, and I think you are right, but they are coming up with more and more things.
ONe of the things I've noticed is that many well-known (?) people say that they have never opened a Mastodon account but they have been told there are several to their name, so I guess that is going on there as well, and that is going to be a problem. So, if you meet me there, it's unlikely to be me (at least for the time being).
Good luck with the meeting.

Debbi said...

Michael J. Fox never ceases to amaze me. Just an awesome guy.

1. 1965
2. Reykjavik
3. the Sugarcubes
4. 1993
5. Spike Jonze