Tuesday 1 November 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 1st November, 2022.

1st November, 2022.


Right … 

There ARE times I mildly regret updating my OS.

Yes: I’m enjoying the wallpaper, and the usability is generally OK.


But?

I’ve noticed that the photo browser in Safari has changed: and no longer accesses the Photos folders you’ve organised.

It just lumps them all together.

And … ?

I’ve noticed that — when uploading photos to a site, in Safari, and clicking on the Photos option? — I can no longer access the folders: they’re all lumped together.


Yes, there’s search options.

But?   They’re already in folders, and organised!

Monterey and earlier could access those: Ventura doesn’t.

That’s bad, from where I’m sitting.

On top of that … ?

I’m not the only one to have noticed the mess that’s now System Settings.


Hot mess … ?

Seems to be a good way of putting it*.

~≈fl≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

The day also saw Trevorª leaving us a message.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        Ivy Mike was tested: on 1st November, 1952.   It was an experimental what: computer, thermonuclear device or intercontinental ballistic missile?

Q2)        1st November is Kerala Day.   Where is Kerala: India, Pakistan or Bangladesh?

Q3)        1st November is World Vegan Day.   The first one was when: 1984, 1994 or 2004?

Q4)        The Viet Cong shelled Saigon on 1st November, 1966.   Then capital of South Vietnam, Saigon is now called what?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The US Library of Congress opened its doors to the public: on 1st November, 1897.     This particular Library building is named after which US president: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson or Abraham Lincoln?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Borley Rectory was the most haunted house in where: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales?
A1)        England.

Q2)        It was haunted by the spirits of the dead.   In other words, by which ‘G’?
A2)        Ghosts.

Q3)        Those spirits are also called spooks.   ‘Spook,’ is also a nickname for what: an undercover spy, a taxman or a police officer?
A3)        An undercover spy or agent.   (I would infinite prefer to use the Oxford English Dictionary definition: but the OED would need two of my regular readers to pay for the privilege.)

Q4)        ‘Spirit,’ or ‘spirits,’ are also a type of alcoholic drink.   One that’s been what: brewed, pasteurised or distilled?
A4)        Distilled.   (All alcoholic drinks have been brewed.   Many will have been pasteurised.   If the liquor only comes up to your knees, it’s not pasteurised.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Which noisy, German, spirit is famous for moving things around?
A5)        A poltergeist.
Here’s an observation … 
“I’ve a one track mind, sir.   Poverty and gloom.   Never a joyous picture of mine you’ll see.   Always gloom.   I never do a jolly picture.”
L. S. Lowry, 1 November 1887 – 23 February 1976.
And an song…


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        One thing I have noticed?   Is that there’s a new range of system voices.   Including an Indian English voice called Rishi.   Mentioning it seemed topical.


        Thanking you for that, Olga!   :D   I’ll have to keep an eye open for Mamet.   People DO seem to think well — ish — of him.   (I’ll have the film review up, later!)
        Sorry to hear about your Mum: I’ll keep my fingers crossed for her.

        Hello, Mum!

^        You know, I keep meaning to read The Disposed, myself, Debbi.   I have read The Day Before the Revolution, the prequel: which was quite something.
        Glad to know you enjoyed the delivery!   And, yes: now you mention Alora … … … … 

ª        Cheers, Trevor: I was wondering about that … 

4 comments:

Freda said...

1 Thermonuclear
2 Kerala India
3 1994
4 Ho Chi Minh City
5 Thomas Jefferson

trev-v said...

This is the record.

"Russell has beaten this by a fair bit as he last played the part over 57 years, 3 months, and 28 days before Doctor Who: The Power of the Doctor. Russell’s appearance as Chesterton in Doctor Who’s companion support group also gave insight into how Doctor Who had changed since Russell’s role as the Doctor’s first true companion."

Olga said...

Q1) thermonuclear device

Q2) India

Q3) 1994

Q4) Ho Chi Minh

Q5) Thomas Jefferson
Thanks, Paul. My Mom is doing well, although, as is usual, she is discovering new places that hurt and are bruising. Taking things easy.
And good luck with the new system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, is not something they tend to live by. It's the same with the site where I blog. Wordpress keeps making changes that get people confused and nobody seems to like them.

Debbi said...

Ah, yes. I know my femme fatales when I see them. Or is it femmes fatale?

1. thermonuclear device
2. India
3. 1994
4. Ho Chi Minh City
5. Thomas Jefferson

I'm very familiar with the three Library of Congress buildings. That's where Bill used to work. He was their computer guru, spam-prevention a specialty. :)

There's the Jefferson, the Adams, and the Madison buildings. :)

Ta da!