Saturday 14 October 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th October 2023.

14th October, 2023.


These are strange days: whether I’m doing anything or not.

Possibly strange days.

OK: maybe not strange days.

Just slightly odd.

I’ve applied for Personal Independence Payment: an extra benefit.

And had both the initial application, and a Mandatory Reconsideration, turned down.

So I’ve started the process of appeal that decision.

Sent of the form, handed over paperwork I’ve felt relevant, received paperwork from the court, what have you.

And wasn’t expecting to hear anymore: until I got word of a tribunal date.

Yesterday afternoon, though … ?

I had a call from the DWP: wanting to know extra details of my claim, and where I disagreed with their reconsideration.

That … was unexpected: and caught me offguard.

And has me curious.

To the point of my asking the man who phoned — he told me he was the case officer for my appeal — why they were phoning.

Were they checking to see if I was committing fraud?

Was I faking my conditions?

Apparently not.

It was a routine double check.

Needless to say … I’m a little suspicious.

And wondering if this is a good thing, or a bad thing.

~≈Ü≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        14th October is World Standard Day.   The International Organisation for Standardisation — which defines many standards — is headquartered, where: Geneva, Zurich or Utrecht?

Q2)        More to the point, the organisation has three official languages.   Name one of them.

Q3)        14th October is also World Migratory what Day: Migratory Insect, Migratory Mammals or Migratory Bird?

Q4)        14th October is the Feast Day of Fortunatus of Todi.   Where IS Todi: Italy, France or Spain?

Q5)        Finally … ?   And sadly?   Robbie Coltrane died on 14th October, 2022.   He played Mario in which 1986 film: Absolute Beginners, Big Trouble in Little China or Clockwise?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        13th October, 2023, is considered unlucky in many parts of the world: as it’s a Friday.   When was 13th October, last a Friday: 2016, 2017 or 2018?
A1)        2017.

Q2)        A month will have a Friday 13th, if it starts with a what: Sunday, Monday or Tuesday?
A2)        A Sunday.

Q3)        Who wrote the 1907 novel, Friday the Thirteenth: T. E. Lawrence, T. S. Elliot or T. W. Lawson?
A3)        T. W. Lawson.

Q4)        The Friday the 13th Crash was a financial crash on Friday, 13th October, 1989.   It’s known to some as what: Black Friday, Blue Friday or Red Friday?
A4)        Black Friday.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The first Friday the 13th horror film was released when: 1979, 1980 or 1981?
A5)        1980.

Here’s a thought …
“I sometimes don’t know what songs are about for several years after I’ve written them.”
Justin Hayward, born 14 October 1946.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Have a very good day, Olga: I hope the restaurant has a decent vegetarian menu.
        (I’ve probably told you already … but, when McDonalds first opened in the UK, they’d deep fry every thing in beef fat: as they could get it cheap.   A lot of vegetarians and devout Hindus avoided the place: as they couldn’t eat the fries, the only theoretically vegetarian option on the menu.   I get the impression fast food places make a bit more effort these days.)

        Hello, Mum!

        It tends to operate a bit strangely, Debbi!   There’s possibly a comment or two, there.   And possibly a doctoral thesis!
        At any rate … ?   I thought you might be interested in this piece: it’s about Anthony Coburn, the chap who wrote An Unearthly Child.

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Geneva

Q2) Russian

Q3) Bird

Q4) Italy

Q5) Absolute Beginners
Thanks, Paul. I do eat a bit of fish now and then, so that makes things easier. Yes, it was quite nice and we went for a walk later.
This afternoon I am covering an event for Sants3Ràdio, a hip hop festival at a parc. I am going to attend the kids' dancing competition, so it should be fun. (My main worry is the weather, as there was possible rain forecast yesterday. Now it seems the rain might come after midnight, so that would make it easier. We shall keep our fingers crossed.
And also crossed for your appeal. Perhaps it is the usual procedure to contact people, as I suspect many people might give up due to stress or not having the ability, the patience, the time, or everything above, to try to keep going. It is a war of attrition, I suspect.

trev-v said...

recheck yesterday's answers, especially question 5.
Also you were wrong the other day when you said that you need a TV license for each TV set. You need a TV license per abode. You can have many TV sets in the same abode. I know people who have 2 or 3 TV sets in the same house. If you have 2 houses you need a license for each house.

Freda said...

1 Geneva
2 English
3 Bird
4 Italy
5 Absolute Beginers

Debbi said...

Very cool! Thanks, Paul!

1. Geneva
2. French
3. Migratory Bird
4. Italy
5. Absolute Beginners